LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Inspected my belts?

I tightened the slack in my auger drive cable and took off the belt cover on this machine for the first time (Ariens Platinum 24 SHO model 921038). I noticed the edge of the forward most auger belt (the one closest to the impeller) is frayed along one of the edges. Was this caused by the tensioner being a little loose? Also is it normal to hear the auger tension/idler pulley bracket slap against the tractor frame whenever you release the auger lever? May have just not noticed that sound over the years. As always I appreciate your insights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	532.8 KB
ID:	126265  

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 02:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
pulleys should never be hitting anything.
if belt is frayed on one side then something is not lined correctly. with cover off operate the auger, post a vid if u can

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #3 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 113
Garage
I will check my belts today for the slight fraying you are experiencing. Does not look like anything to worry about. The auger clutch arm is supposed to lightly touch the frame according to the Ariens owner manual. I have always noticed it and it does not bother me. I often release the auger clutch quickly when doing the EOD and a car is coming toward me and it is a noticeable metal impact noise. The manual says to disengage the auger clutch and lightly move the clutch lever so you can hear the slight metal contact of the arm and frame (highly paraphrased since I cannot copy it).

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Fraying is a symptom of V belt wear and the V belt needs to be changed. If you can afford it a Kevlar V belt as a replacement for each one will provide you with the best V belt for resistance to the shock loading that occurs with snow blowers.

Your belts are not under continuous loading and the shock of putting multiple shock loading times times on a V belt will cause what you see.

Putting a bar of Irish spring under the snow blower in the off season will keep the mice out and the belts will not be chewed on.

Last edited by leonz; 01-18-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: stuff/spelling and punctuation corrections
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jonnied12 liked this post
post #5 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 10:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 250
I was hearing that snap on a Sno-Tek and it turned out it was the roller that holds the auger break open, When I pulled and released the lever the roller moved on the flat part and when it got to the angled part it would snap shut putting the brake against the pulley.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 113
Garage
I checked my auger belts and there is no fraying and the belts are riding just below the top of the groove. If the belts are not riding in the center of the idler wheel there is a sharp square edge at each side of the idler wheel that could slightly fray the top edge of the belt. But that fraying is so slight it is not going to affect belt life or performance. If the belt is riding at or near the top of the groove in engine auger pulley then I think it is good to go. It may be possible to align the idler wheel with the belt by shimming the position of the idler wheel in the adjustable bracket.

I also checked where the clutch arm contacts the metal chassis, it is at the top of the chassis at the belt opening where the arm makes contact.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
post #7 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I appreciate the responses. The last 2 winters here have been very light (so far), this machine may have 10 hours on it tops. I agree the edge damage on the belt is slight and doesn't warrant replacement at this point. I am not too impressed with the quality of sheaves in this unit as well. The back traction one is actually plastic. Additionally the dual belt "SHO" sheave seems pretty small and a bit rough along the lip edges. I attached some additional photos (one of the nicked up a bit sheave and the other of the auger belts under tension). The belt with the edge fraying a bit (one closest to the chute in the original photo) is looser than the other auger belt under tension. I am going to adjust the idler pulley in a bit and hope this will address that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	126361  

Last edited by Cardo111; 01-19-2018 at 08:18 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Pic of the sheave
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	44
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	126369  

post #9 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Another pic of belts under tension.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	42
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	126377  

post #10 of 17 Old 01-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
thtyj

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page