LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Plastic Parts...

I see a number of posts kinda trashing Toro for their use of "plastic parts". There's some places where it's appropriate to use plastic, and some places it's not.

My question is, has there been a rash of critical, or non critical plastic parts failing on Toro machines?

I really like their joystick control for the chute. My friend has one, I think it's a nice machine. I'm just wondering if there's something to the plastic thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 03:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 38
I can't speak for Toro but:
The plastic they use on OPE is not the same plastic you would find a "storage tote" made of.
I have plastic on almost all of my OPE in one form or another.
Some of it is quite old.
It may fade from being stored outside in the sun, but I have not had any plastic parts fail yet.
I think the manufacturers carefully evaluate where and what to make out of plastic.

Troy-Bilt Storm Tracker 2890
post #3 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
Toro has the best plastic its good to -104. We just had a snow storm the other week and it was -10 with high winds when I was blowing snow anytime the lower chute would freeze up from ice I would just smack it to get it off and keep going. We have people come in all the time saying they need there toro chute replaced I say really that's not common then they bring in a troybilt happens at least 3x a year.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Hanky thanked for this post
Likes Hanky, jsup liked this post
post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 04:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351beno View Post
Toro has the best plastic its good to -104. We just had a snow storm the other week and it was -10 with high winds when I was blowing snow anytime the lower chute would freeze up from ice I would just smack it to get it off and keep going. We have people come in all the time saying they need there toro chute replaced I say really that's not common then they bring in a troybilt happens at least 3x a year.
Both brands being red, they often get confused.

You have to figure that the plastics used would be reliable to very low temperatures, Toro being the better of the bunch.

I have a plastic chute on my Troy-bolt but have not used the machine in sub-zero (F) temperatures

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 82
Garage
Everyone likes to bash something on here. Plastic fantastic has been moving a lot of snow for a very long time. Plastic tank, metal tank, plastic chute, metal chute. It all has its good and bad points. My older Troybilt had lots of plastic and after many years of service including a couple nice blizzards not one piece EVER failed including the trucks on the track drive. People need to relax. It’s not like they are making styrofoam auger buckets. (I shouldn’t give away my inventions so easy)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tpenfield, jsup, jonnied12 liked this post
post #6 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 357
Likes (Received): 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
I see a number of posts kinda trashing Toro for their use of "plastic parts". There's some places where it's appropriate to use plastic, and some places it's not.

My question is, has there been a rash of critical, or non critical plastic parts failing on Toro machines?

I really like their joystick control for the chute. My friend has one, I think it's a nice machine. I'm just wondering if there's something to the plastic thing.
Trashing Toro, what? Nooooooooooo. Toro's plastic chute has proven itself over the years, there should be no doubt that it's stout. Plastic's have been evolving into where if a major manufacture has it on their machine then well ok. Look at Honda's use of NeXite polymer mower decks on their top of the line HRX mowers. My Honda mower sees way more action in one season than any snowblower ever will.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hanky liked this post
post #7 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
I have a Toro Powermax 724, and the impeller cover did crack last year (2nd season). Probably a chunk of ice, or rock from my gravel drive up at camp. I was disappointed, but Toro did replace it free of charge per the lifetime guarantee (I bought the machine from a long-standing local dealer).

I do wish it had a metal chute (the rest of the plastic does not bother me at all). Having said that, it is a great machine: very efficient and throws snow amazingly well for the rated hp, well-balanced and light, great ergonomics. I don't regret buying it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #8 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Trashing Toro, what? Nooooooooooo. Toro's plastic chute has proven itself over the years, there should be no doubt that it's stout. Plastic's have been evolving into where if a major manufacture has it on their machine then well ok. Look at Honda's use of NeXite polymer mower decks on their top of the line HRX mowers. My Honda mower sees way more action in one season than any snowblower ever will.
Trashing Toro? Not exactly trashing, but framing an argument. Using the plastic as an example, if someone says "I'm looking at Toro, brand x, brand Y, brand Z. " The metal on brand X,Y, Z is promoted as a benefit, conversely making the plastic a detriment.

SO I was just wonderin' is all.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
I've been using a toro single stage since 2002 and now a 926 oxe. I have had no breaks .

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2018, 07:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 357
Likes (Received): 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ariens View Post
I've been using a toro single stage since 2002 and now a 926 oxe. I have had no breaks .
That's because it's tough stuff. My dealer has 3 demo's. A 721R, a Snowmaster 724QXE, and a Powermax 824. Last time I was there one of the salesman took a hammer out and showed a customer just how tough the plastic was. As he's pounding on it I was wondering just how well a flimsy "metal" chute would hold up to the same pounding.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page