LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
Gas Cap Issue. Do I need a new one?

I had the 10HP Tecumseh MTD out this morning clearing heavy snow with a thick crust of ice on top from the freezing rain we got last night. It started fine and worked well but then after a bit it started sputtering and it stalled. It restarted but kept on sputtering at times. I opened the gas cap to check it there was enough gas and there was about a third of a tank. But I did notice the cap had the rubber liner out of place. It looks like what happened in this video by Donnyboy. Do I need a new gas cap? Mine is the red one at the one minute mark of the video...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2018, 01:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
yes u need a new one as its missing the metal dome which prob fell into gas tank. i had to remove my tank to fish it out. easy job btw.
u could use very small drill bit or a hot needle to make a hole in cap for venting, just make sure its in a spot where water cant easily get in.
or periodically unscrew gas cap.
if buying new try to find the one thats like the black one in vid, no metal dome.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-23-2018 at 01:28 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
yes u need a new one as its missing the metal dome which prob fell into gas tank. i had to remove my tank to fish it out. easy job btw.
u could use very small drill bit or a hot needle to make a hole in cap for venting, just make sure its in a spot where water cant easily get in.
or periodically unscrew gas cap.
if buying new try to find the one thats like the black one in vid, no metal dome.
Thanks for this!
post #4 of 4 Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 318
Likes (Received): 626
+1 for Vinny...Drill a very small hole in the center, and it will Vent fine. Fish the metal Part out with a magnet if you have one.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page