LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help deciding

Need a new snow blower. Would like a heavy duty , minimum 30 inch. Was looking at the 34 inch TROY Bilt, 30 inch Ariens Platinum and 30 in Husqvarna. I came across this used oneARIENS ST1136 PRO Price: $1,200 (at Jayspower.com). Any opinions on this used one or should I stick with New? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-23-2018, 07:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
the ST 1136 is like my dream blower...but not for that kind of money. A n ST 10 32.....1132....12 32 12 36 etc are all lifetime blowers...if you can buy one right and are confident you can maintain it.....that would be my first choice. I've got a late 70's 32 in 924 series I did a tall chute, chains, 10 hp late Tec and impeller kit on I won't part with. I've got 2 36 in ST XX36's and a ST 1032 that I'm going to restore/repower. They are getting a little old, and most were used commercially so are beat. If you can get one for $300 to $500, and replace bushings, bearings , do some painting etc.....you'll have a serious machine.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Buy local. There are examples of people buying on line and having problems.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
post #4 of 21 Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
That seems like too much, to me, for a machine from the 80's.

This is the machine's listing page:
WINTER EQUIPMENT ? Jay's Power Equipment

He says an original MSRP of $3,000. But tractorbluebook shows 1988, and a price of $1,700 at the time:
https://www.tractorbluebook.com/Equi...ens/ST1136-Pro

For the 80's, selling new for $1,700 at least seems more plausible than $3,000.

This is a thread on this forum about someone looking at buying one of those machines, if you wanted to take a look:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ns-st1136.html

I wouldn't try to decide between this particular machine, or going straight to new. I'd look around on Craigslist for a good used one, you should be able to find quite a bit at/below $1,200.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #5 of 21 Old 01-24-2018, 02:05 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
Need a new snow blower. Would like a heavy duty , minimum 30 inch. Was looking at the 34 inch TROY Bilt, 30 inch Ariens Platinum and 30 in Husqvarna. I came across this used oneARIENS ST1136 PRO Price: $1,200 (at Jayspower.com). Any opinions on this used one or should I stick with New? Thanks
If your priority is heavy duty , Toro also has a heavy duty( HD) line in the 30" range as one more option.
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #6 of 21 Old 01-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
post #7 of 21 Old 01-24-2018, 02:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
I believe Poulan would be essentially the same as Husqvarna.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-24-2018, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to SBF Chernabog

I'd look at getting a used Toro or Ariens if you don't mind doing some of the upkeep and repairs yourself. That's just my preference. Very good support and parts availability all the way back to the early 70's, I'd toss in Craftsman if you can find an older one but they're more rare. I have an old three stage 1032 Craftsman Driftbreaker and it's built as well as the early 70's Ariens I have IMHO.

The Poulan if you're buying new, want a warranty and are ok with an economy machine. With care it will likely last you a decade or more just isn't heavy duty. But again that's just my opinion. I think the Husky is a step up from the Poulan.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
If you could share some info on the kind & amount of snow you get, the size of the area you have to clear, etc, that would help give people a little better understanding of what you're up against. You might get more-informed recommendations.

I've heard good things about the Toros, it looks like their HD line goes up to 28". Of note, that 30" Poulan Pro 300ES has a 254cc engine. That's a rather-small engine size for a bucket that's 30" wide. The 28" Toro HD 1028 OHXE has a 302cc engine. Even that isn't a huge engine for that bucket size, to be honest. As a point of reference, my 24" Ariens has a 318cc of the same engine type (OHV), though my model is admittedly biased towards high-power-narrow-bucket. Ariens even makes a 369cc 24" machine.

This is the Toro's page:
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/sn...028-ohxe-38802

More power is never a bad thing. But if you're getting 3" storms, and it's dry fluffy snow, with a 300 foot driveway, maybe 30" and 254cc is perfectly fine. You'd still have a wide clearing width, and the light snow wouldn't load the engine as much. If, however, you get 12-18" storms, and it can be wet/heavy, with a 100 foot driveway, maybe more power, and a narrower width, might be better-suited.

You could have a situation where you have a wide machine, but not enough power to move quickly through significant snow. So you'd have to take narrower cuts, or slow down, to avoid overwhelming the machine. Suddenly you're not able to really make use of the 30" width, in this example.

PS- Chernabog, if that's a reference to American Gods, that's cool. It's an interesting show, and Ian McShane is awesome. I haven't read the book.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 21 Old 01-28-2018, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
The Toro 1028 is a nice machine It feels a little more balanced. The motor is moved to the back a little more than the Ariens 30 inch 306cc deluxe which is balanced a little heavier on the front.
The Toro engines are supposed to have been tuned and load tested at the factory, I'm not sure if Ariens does this.

The gear case on the Toro 1028 is a good size but it's a clam shell aluminum type metal.

The Ariens of course is a top load cast iron case thats bullet proof and a lot less chance of leaking.

Another huge plus with the Ariens snowblowers is 28inch and up has double Auger belts, any torque the motor produces is going to make it to the augers.

I haven't really been impressed with the Troy built, Cub or Husqvarna snow blowers. The metal just doesn't seem to be as heavey a gauge as the Ariens blowers. Also you will find plastic used on the MTD units and Husqvarna.

I guess I'm a Ariens fanboy.

Last edited by Madriver; 01-28-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page