Snowblower max torque at wheels or tracks..? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Question Snowblower max torque at wheels or tracks..?

I'm starting to think about the trigger steering system design for one of my projects and I am trying to figure what roughly would be the amount of torque that is transferred to the wheels or tracks on a snowblower, so that I can start thinking of a design that will be able to handle the load.

Any one has a rough idea....?

Thanks.
Ivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 55
Rough guess (but very interested in someone who knows for sure!): Doesn't a 6hp small engine deliver about 12Nm ? Assume 25% transmission losses and roughly 9Nm at tracks/wheels?
post #3 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 04:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I think the limiting factor will likely be the friction disk slipping, or the wheels slipping, rather than the engine stalling.

But if you want worst worst case, use an estimate of engine power, at 3600, and calculate torque. Then measure the gear ratio of your transmission in first gear, if friction disk. How many pulley rotations needed per wheel rotation, etc.

Then you could calculate the absolute max, though I think that would be a very-high estimate of torque.

You could also try to test it. Put a scale between the blower and a tree/wall. Drive into the scale hard, see what it shows, and that gives your force to the ground. Based on the wheel diameter, you could work backwards to torque.

Or if you have a spring extension scale (like for weighing fish, etc) you could use that to tether the blower to a tree, then pull on the scale.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 07:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Briggs posts the torque curve for every engine on their website.

That being said, I don't know if the transmission is a torque multiplier or divider. The way it's set up, I'd have to think it's a torque multiplier, simply because of the speed of the wheels vs the speed of the engine. It's just math.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 08:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, the transmission multiplies the torque by the effective gear ratio, of the axle vs crankshaft.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 08:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Yes, the transmission multiplies the torque by the effective gear ratio, of the axle vs crankshaft.
Yep, so we just have to take the pulley to the wheel axle and figure out the ratios. In the absence of those dimensions, there's no answer.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all.

I think I'm just going to go with a simple sliding mechanical clutching system that should be able to stand a lot more torque than the Honda right side transmission pin.

I think it'll be ok. I'll find out once it is done and tested.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 02:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Let us know how it works out. I like following these projects, but drives me nuts when the end results aren't posted.

post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 03:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I'd love to hear what you're thinking or putting together. My Ariens has a differential (not Autoturn).

I think it would be great if I could somehow lock/unlock the differential in the fly. That would sound like kind of a perfect system to me. Usually I leave the diff unlocked, but in slippery conditions I sometimes need to keep stopping and changing the diff between locked/unlocked.

So anything you wanted to share, even just musings, would be interesting to at least one other person here.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I'd love to hear what you're thinking or putting together. My Ariens has a differential (not Autoturn).

I think it would be great if I could somehow lock/unlock the differential in the fly. That would sound like kind of a perfect system to me. Usually I leave the diff unlocked, but in slippery conditions I sometimes need to keep stopping and changing the diff between locked/unlocked.

So anything you wanted to share, even just musings, would be interesting to at least one other person here.
I'll be working with a solid axle on a hydrostatic Honda.

It is likely going to be a bit involving but if it works on one I can make it work on any other of my various Honda and Yamaha snowblowers and snowblower projects.

What I'll be trying to achieve is a way to make the tracks or wheels 'freewheel' when pressing 2 handles and reconnect them when they are released. This way when pulling the triggers it will be really easy to move or turn the snowblower (kind of like how the new Honda HSS are).

Is going to take me a while and I'll likely be needing some help from Shaw351 (or any other machinist on the forum). We'll see how it goes......

I'll have to work on a few designs and try them out to see which one works best and is the simplest.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page