Adjust Idle on Non-Adjustable Tecumseh Carb - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
Adjust Idle on Non-Adjustable Tecumseh Carb

The machine is running better and now I'm getting a bit picky. It does pop a little bit through the muffler from time to time so that tells me the carb could be running too lean. Now, do I fix this by adjusting the idle screw on top of the carb and open it up a bit (more fuel) and that would be to the right - or is it the other way? Or is there something else to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 06:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
that screw just sets your low idle speed/rpm when the throttle lever is at its lowest, it does not adjust how much fuel is metered into engine, thats why its a non adjustable carb, but there are ways around that iirc by opening up the main jet w/a drill bit, ymmv. or just buy a clone adjustable carb off ebay/amazon.
a little pop once in awhile is fine, but an adjustable carb is better to try to mitigate it.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-28-2018 at 06:34 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
that screw just sets your low idle speed/rpm when the throttle lever is at its lowest, it does not adjust how much fuel is metered into engine, thats why its a non adjustable carb, but there are ways around that iirc by opening up the main jet w/a drill bit, ymmv. or just buy a clone adjustable carb off ebay/amazon
Thanks Vinny. Not sure I feel confident about drilling a new hole for the main jet...

I don't know if this would work, but I have an adjustable main jet from a rebuild kit. Could I swap the adjustable jet for the non-adjustable one on the existing carb or is that a no go?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 07:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
I think you can change the carb out for an adjustable. You'll have to research more or hopefully someone will chime in. On the other had they're <$15.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatoxico View Post
I think you can change the carb out for an adjustable. You'll have to research more or hopefully someone will chime in. On the other had they're <$15.
Yeah. The Chinese carbs on Ebay and Amazon are cheap and apparently good. I am tempted to see if I can modify (convert) my old carb by swapping the adjustable main jet for the fixed jet. Has anyone tried this with any success?

UPDATE - It looks like my idea is a no-go. At least on one other site someone says it can't be done...

Last edited by Dannoman; 01-28-2018 at 07:14 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 07:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannoman View Post
Yeah. The Chinese carbs on Ebay and Amazon are cheap and apparently good. I am tempted to see if I can modify (convert) my old carb by swapping the adjustable main jet for the fixed jet. Has anyone tried this with any success?
I just installed a replacement today and it works fine. I'm not sure you can just put in the bowl/jet. But if the old one bolts up it should work. Take a look at pics side by side and make sure the linkages all are the same.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dannoman liked this post
post #7 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 09:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
I picked up a adjustable one for my Toro and love that I can dial it in perfect. You might try knocking on the choke lever one click to richen it up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page