LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
Got Lucky Today

Out doing the EOD and decided I better shovel it instead of blowing it as I'm on a dirt/gravel road and the plow will often shove up rocks/boulders as it plows. Sure enough I shoveled a grapefruit size boulder out of the EOD pile.

Can anyone advise about how big a rock does it actually take to do real damage?

Are you generally okay with rocks smaller than a golf ball? Being new to blowers I have no idea, so thank you in advance for any education.

*Kind of sucks being on a dirt/gravel back road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 02:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1031
Likes (Received): 175
I hear ya about living on a gravel back road. I still think the positives outweigh the negatives (at least here).

I'd say that your shear pins should do their job of just about anything that may make its way into your auger or impeller. Good idea to make sure the shafts are loose and lubed up and that you use proper shear pins/bolts.

About twenty years ago a good size rock made it past the augers, into the impeller, made one heck of a dent in the impeller housing on its way out the chute. Sure seemed like a good size rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
Out doing the EOD and decided I better shovel it instead of blowing it as I'm on a dirt/gravel road and the plow will often shove up rocks/boulders as it plows. Sure enough I shoveled a grapefruit size boulder out of the EOD pile.

Can anyone advise about how big a rock does it actually take to do real damage?

Are you generally okay with rocks smaller than a golf ball? Being new to blowers I have no idea, so thank you in advance for any education.

*Kind of sucks being on a dirt/gravel back road.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks barney thanked for this post
post #3 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 02:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 172
Likes (Received): 28
I live on a private, gravel road. Under the gravel is what they call 3 to 6. The rocks are 3 inches to 6 inches in size. I have picked up and thrown several of them over the years and yes, they do put a nice dent in the impeller housing.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 02:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 44
I had a gravel driveway which was really crusher run when I bought my Honda 724. I threw so many stones that I went back to using my Farmall Cub with a plow (didn't dent anything but really scoured the paint off the inside of the chute). When I could afford to pave it I went back to the blower.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 02:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
picked up a big paver one time into the 624 powershift, no big damage just a dent ,
post #6 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 03:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
If the rock makes it through the auger through the impeller without jamming, then almost anything is possible. Having said that, I once sold a blower to a lady and her son used it on gravel. He ended up jamming a piece of gravel about the size of a marble between the auger rake and the housing, jamming the machine. Flip side of that was the time I took a very large chunk of ice totally through a machine successfully. I know it went through because I watched it arc and come very close to a parked car.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I'd be more concerned with smaller rocks that can get jammed between the impeller and housing. That's why I drive over the first and maybe second snowfall. That way I have the gravel in the driveway packed down a bit before running the blower over it. A big rock shooting out the machine is nothing to take lightly but if it goes through I think you're better off then when you suck in smaller stones that can jam the impeller and having to get in there and replacing the pins that will snap or possibly damage the impellers bearing or bearing housing.
From the answers I'm guessing each case is a little different and so is the solution.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
post #8 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
I'd be more concerned with smaller rocks that can get jammed between the impeller and housing. That's why I drive over the first and maybe second snowfall. That way I have the gravel in the driveway packed down a bit before running the blower over it. A big rock shooting out the machine is nothing to take lightly but if it goes through I think you're better off then when you suck in smaller stones that can jam the impeller and having to get in there and replacing the pins that will snap or possibly damage the impellers bearing or bearing housing.
From the answers I'm guessing each case is a little different and so is the solution.
Sounds like I'm living on borrowed time then as I'm picking and shooting five or ten smaller stones every time out.

Last edited by barney; 01-30-2018 at 03:49 PM.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So, do you guys who live on dirt/gravel roads and rock laden EOD shovel? Or is it dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1031
Likes (Received): 175
I've only used a shovel a few times to break up ice or super hard pack.

We get enough snow here that it was only early and late in the season that I would get the gravel snow, and then it was "fire away" and literally watch out for people and vehicles in the path of that stream.

About 8-9 years ago, the county decided to pave 1/5 of my road and the pavement ends at my property line. I can go left on asphalt, or right on gravel (for 4 miles before you hit a highway), so fortunately I can avoid the gravel snow bomb now, but for almost twenty years I had to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
So, do you guys who live on dirt/gravel roads and rock laden EOD shovel? Or is it dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page