LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 42
Troy 30" snowblower

I must admit that I have procrastinated purchasing a new snowblower over the last two years. It is even hard to stuff info through the info filter to make a selection. For example, Consumer Reports highly recommends a three stage blower while I read from others......AVOID THREE STAGE. My main reason for putting off a new purchase was that my old and I do mean old (new in 1986) Boland 32" with a differential just continued to labor on. Well make that.... it labored on and I labored to help it. Now.. gees, I know I can fix it again but do I want to?

I have given thought to Ariens which at one time during my search offered a 32" machine for about $3K which I considered. Now I prefer keeping my cost under $2K. So that brings me to the Troy 30" model 31AH55P5766 which is claimed to offer "power steering" whatever that means. One thing I don't believe I want is a machine with tracks. Who knows, one with tracks may be the greatest thing since the bread slicer was invented.

So back to the forum. Somebody must have one of these things that can share a viewpoint based on actual performance. So-------ANYBODY, PLEASE?

Thanks,

Foggysail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 02:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 189
Garage
28 sho ariens 1200 new
28 pro ariens 2200 new
used 28 pro 1500 there are 3 near you now
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr, Cardo111 liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 03:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
OK so for some reason I don't seem to have anything better to do lately than watch snowblower videos. And I'm telling you I was all ready to call BS. But...I have seen several videos of Cub 3 stage machines going through deep snow at what seems like an extremely quick pace. Am I nuts?!

I realize the build quality may be a notch down compared to some other brands but depending on your needs...?
post #4 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
That is exactly right, just depends on your needs. There are tons of the different MTD made machines out there getting the job done. I have an older 2 stage Troy that's presently my "daily driver" and it's held up well over the last couple years doing 300' of gravel driveway and a parking area. I tend to turn up my nose at the lesser machines until I remember how hard this one works and it's Chinese engine always starts.

I don't have any experience with a newer three stage. I've read the ads, seen the vids and the actual reviews seem to be mixed. Some love them and there is even a thread asking if you can remove that third stage.
I would go more on price than how many stages. Wide enough to get the job done and if new, warranty and availability of a dealer in the area if you need them. It's been very light in snow here and machines are already discounted to try and move them. Not sure how it's going in your area as you guys got hit hard. Are they mostly gone or ??. This might be a good time to try and find a dealer with some stock he doesn't want to get stuck storing over the summer.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
28 sho ariens 1200 new
28 pro ariens 2200 new
used 28 pro 1500 there are 3 near you now

What do these machines have to do with Troy 31AH55P5766???
post #6 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 03:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
I believe you have a Bolens.

An 80s vintage Bolens is a serious piece of machinery and I'd hold onto it something terminal happens, the frame rusting out or the gearbox going, etc etc.

Quite a few of us here are Bolens owners and honestly, we should get our own subforum lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
He was just offering options to the Troy in your price range.
You might need to go into the Troy section and search out reviews and or PM members who have 3 stage machines.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #8 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by db130 View Post
I believe you have a Bolens.

An 80s vintage Bolens is a serious piece of machinery and I'd hold onto it something terminal happens, the frame rusting out or the gearbox going, etc etc.

Quite a few of us here are Bolens owners and honestly, we should get our own subforum lol.
Yes indeed, that is quite a machine. I have however ripped that thing apart from one end to the other. But the biggest problem started with the differential which I repaired, greased (also add a zerk fitting). Later the inner shaft for the right hand wheel sheared off from the left side. That shaft was pinned to the left side. So I replaced it with 1/2" SS rod and drilled the left side shaft using my lathe to accommodate the new SS shaft. BUT I DIDN'T PIN IT. BIG MISTAKE. So that shaft was able to work its way out and the cluster of spider gears could be a mess.

Incidentally, the biggest problem IMHO pertaining to the differential is that it was neither sealed nor had provisions to add grease. I might just repair it again.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
give Jackmels on the forum a shout...he seems to get quite a few newer Ariens blowers that look clean, and you know they are in good shape if he went through them. For way less then a thousand, you can get a blower that will do you for decades.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #10 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 05:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 189
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
What do these machines have to do with Troy 31AH55P5766???
You said you looked at and was thinking about a 3k ariens 32

I gave you the 2 best machines for the money in your price range new and used

By allllll means buy the troy with the 12 impeller and the 12 inch rakes its and unstopable killer blower

Have a nice day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page