LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 02-03-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
Ariens EFI - Anyone try one yet?

Ariens put out a fuel injected snowblower about a year ago. They aren't cheap. They say you don't need to worry about draining fuel any more and all you need to do is turn the key and go. Has anyone here bought one of these machines, and how do they feel about it so far?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deluxe_30_EFI_Spec_large.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	130066  

Last edited by Dannoman; 02-03-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Yup, a number have purchased em. They are ok, but for long term.. still to be decided. I won't get one until they design a model that doesn't need a battery for the fuel injection system. It's just trouble waiting to happen.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes toroused, KingDavey liked this post
post #3 of 85 Old 02-04-2018, 09:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 13
I have one, an Ariens Platinum SHO 24" EFI. I bought it since we can't get non-ethanol gas around here and I'm a bit of a tech geek. Mostly because I'm a tech geek. So far it's done a good job of keeping big snows away from Chicago. I want a big snow (by Chicago standards - 12-18") so I can actually try this thing out. We haven't gotten more than 3-4" all winter. Today I was waiting around for it to stop snowing, then decided to go ahead and clear my snow since it was getting too close to game time (Superbowl). It promptly stopped snowing and the sky was blue by the time I finished.

The battery system is my only complaint about it so far. It's not that it has a battery, it's the type of battery and how it's mounted. EFI needs electricity, so I doubt the battery will ever go away. The current models use a 7.2V "Ariens" battery buried under the dash. I think it should use a standard, common battery and the battery should be easily removable. If you want to charge it, you should be able to just pop it off the blower and carry it into the house.

If I were designing it I would give it an 18V electrical system. Add a transformer for lower voltage components. It probably has one anyway for the computer. The machines would not charge the battery. You would either use disposable batteries or just take the battery into the house to charge it. They would ship with a battery holder that took a dozen common (AAA, AA, C, or D) batteries and a mail-in card (also redeemable online) for one battery adapter. You could choose DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ryobi, etc. Hopefully an 18V tool battery would allow battery start. If that worked out I would also eliminate the 120VAC starter, so you might have to pull start with disposable batteries.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO EFI
post #4 of 85 Old 02-04-2018, 10:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 8
I had a 24" Platinum EFI SHO that I used last year. No issues at all with it in my cold unheated Connecticut garage. I had my blower sit in my garage all summer and fall. I sold it this November and purchased a Hydro Pro 28" EFI as I wanted EFI and the hydro function...best of both worlds. Before selling it I turned it on, and pulled it and it started right up. I hadn't started it since mid summer when I cleaned the garage and had to move it.

I can't even imagine how much fuel the standard 420cc AX drinks compared to the EFI model...despite the fuel tank being small i'd still suggest the EFI to friends.

2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - FOR SALE
2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, 54" blade, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart
2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - sold
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes russ01915 liked this post
post #5 of 85 Old 02-05-2018, 09:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
I wouldn't spend an extra nickel on EFI for a snowblower. There's no good reason to do it and a bunch not to.
post #6 of 85 Old 02-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 44
90% of small engine problems are probably carb related - THAT is a good reason to upgrade. No one who has a modern car or a motorcycle wishes they were harder to start or less fuel efficient.
post #7 of 85 Old 02-05-2018, 10:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 173
No, just cheaper and easier to fix . . . . There are more small passages in an EFI prone to issues with crud in fuel than in a carb. Oh, and I don't ever recall any carbureted car I have owned as hard to start . . . . (or any carbed small enginenfor that matter . . . at least that wasn't worn out). And somehow, I think fuel efficiency in a snowblower just wont be that different, or even relevant. Engines that run largely at one speed/power setting aren't that hard to get right with a carb . . . . It's the EPA and all the emissions overregulation that is pushing EFI on small engines, not common sense or need . . .
post #8 of 85 Old 02-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhazelton View Post
90% of small engine problems are probably carb related - THAT is a good reason to upgrade. No one who has a modern car or a motorcycle wishes they were harder to start or less fuel efficient.
Not a fair comparison. I've been through this. Cars operate in all kinds of conditions, snowblowers operate in defined small window. You can accurately predict and design for that.

90% is pull an number out of the air as demonstrated by the use of "probably" and is clearly an exaggeration.

Fuel efficiency? What, you going to burn 20 gallons of gas instead of 17? Big deal. That's gonna really save the planet and pay your mortgage.

I'd rather replace a carb every 10 years, which I never had to do in 18 years with my last blower, than have to baby a battery every single year as described above. Never mind the unnecessary complexity and points of failure incumbent with such a system. How much is a battery? Without being taken out, taken inside, and put on a trickle charge, or maintainer, they probably have to be replaced every 2 years, like a boat.

Pumping a primer, and setting a choke is a small price to pay for simplicity, long term reliability, and low total costs of ownership of a carb engine.

Like anything else, it has more to do with the owner and how they maintain their equipment than the minor differentiations equipment itself. Treat EFI the way you treat a carb, no stable, stale gas, etc... it's going to have problems too, more expensive and complicated problems at that.

Last edited by jsup; 02-05-2018 at 10:33 AM.
post #9 of 85 Old 02-06-2018, 10:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
I really want to get my hands on one of these ax Efi machines. I donít know enough about it to draw accurate conclusions.

At face value, of course an efi makes things more complicated to repair, and probably more money to repair if the need arises. But, it does have its perks for average joe.

Replacing a battery is easier then replacing a carb.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 85 Old 02-06-2018, 02:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 173
Considering that you almost never need to replace a carb, I find that argument generally nonsensical . . .

And carb remove/replace (new or old) isn't much harder than the battery, for whatever that is worth . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page