post #1 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
Propane Powered Poulan Snowblower

No need to worry about old gas.
Check it out. This guy converted from gasoline to propane on his 8HP 27" Poulan snowblower.
Pretty ingenious...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 12:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 293
Roughly 20% power loss using propane on a low compression gas engine, but definitely no stale fuel problems.

Itís neat. I converted my generator to run on my houses propane. Itís great never having to worry about old gas.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Roughly 20% power loss using propane on a low compression gas engine, but definitely no stale fuel problems.

Itís neat. I converted my generator to run on my houses propane. Itís great never having to worry about old gas.
Many generator companies are selling dual fuel generators out of the box. Gas/Propane. Pretty cool. One thing I learned from Sandy. When the power is out everywhere, gas pumps don't pump, but you can still get propane. I had to drive 30 miles to get gas.
post #4 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
20% power loss converts that 8HP into a ~ 5.5 HP. This idea would work better on a 10HP or higher to compensate for power loss.
post #5 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannoman View Post
20% power loss converts that 8HP into a ~ 5.5 HP. This idea would work better on a 10HP or higher to compensate for power loss.
Only depends on how it's injected.
So what they do to compensate is put in a second injector.

A typically car injector for say a 350-400 HP engine is 30lbs/hr or so. A propane injector is 160- 200 lbs/hour in gasoline terms. So with much bigger injectors, there's compensation for that.
post #6 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 01:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
This is an interesting solution, I applaud people's creativity. It's not something I'd be looking to do, but I'm glad it works for him! Might need to add some weight on the bucket for balance (I didn't get to watch the video, maybe that's addressed), but it's at least some extra ballast for traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
Many generator companies are selling dual fuel generators out of the box. Gas/Propane. Pretty cool. One thing I learned from Sandy. When the power is out everywhere, gas pumps don't pump, but you can still get propane. I had to drive 30 miles to get gas.
I guess if you have multiple 20lb propane tanks, that would help. Or a big propane tank for heat, which you could pull from.

The local hardware store doesn't need electricity to fill my tank, from what I recall of the filling process. Though if they're closed, I'm somewhat stuck, as there are a lot more gas stations around, than propane filling stations.

I have several gas cans, and I might be able to get some out of the car tanks, if needed. My gas cans have stabilizer, of course.

My current solution to the generator fuel dilemma is efficiency, my little 2000W inverter generator can run 1-3 days straight on my 7-gallon-total external tank setup, depending on the load. I haven't needed to drive 30 miles, fortunately, but I've waited ~45 minutes in line at the nearest gas station to fill up during an outage. Which was a good reminder that I want to be able to minimize my consumption, and maximize my fuel amount during a fillup run.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 01:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
This is an interesting solution, I applaud people's creativity. It's not something I'd be looking to do, but I'm glad it works for him! Might need to add some weight on the bucket for balance (I didn't get to watch the video, maybe that's addressed), but it's at least some extra ballast for traction.

I guess if you have multiple 20lb propane tanks, that would help. Or a big propane tank for heat, which you could pull from.

The local hardware store doesn't need electricity to fill my tank, from what I recall of the filling process. Though if they're closed, I'm somewhat stuck, as there are a lot more gas stations around, than propane filling stations.

I have several gas cans, and I might be able to get some out of the car tanks, if needed. My gas cans have stabilizer, of course.

My current solution to the generator fuel dilemma is efficiency, my little 2000W inverter generator can run 1-3 days straight on my 7-gallon-total external tank setup, depending on the load. I haven't needed to drive 30 miles, fortunately, but I've waited ~45 minutes in line at the nearest gas station to fill up during an outage. Which was a good reminder that I want to be able to minimize my consumption, and maximize my fuel amount during a fillup run.
I have a 5500 watt that runs overnight with a light load. I'm looking at these new ones with dual fuel so I have options. Can always go steal propane from the neighbor's grill in an emergency. (I use steal figuratively, not literally. Steal with permission)

Many stores have the pre filled 20LB propane tanks on the shelf.
post #8 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 02:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannoman View Post
Where I come from, it would only drop it down to about 6.4 HP. But, I am not schooled in the "new math".
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes CVNY liked this post
post #9 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 02:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Where I come from, it would only drop it down to about 6.4 HP. But, I am not schooled in the "new math".
If it drops or not is a function of the implementation, not the fuel.
post #10 of 44 Old 02-05-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
My bad. I meant to type ~ 6.5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page