LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-05-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 31
Snow Shovel Modification Ideas?

Lack of snow here this winter has left me without a single use on my snowblower....Even the snow we get is gone after we get a few sunny days in the upper 20's to low 30's so I don't get a chance to head to the backyard to blow snow up into a mound for my kids to play on/in. Every storm predicted for my area this year has either gone north/south/east/west of Sioux Falls.....rather than steam rolling us.

I've even tried a few extra prayers at church on Sunday and lighting a few extra candles......I must have done something not good to really make someone up above mad.

If things don't change, the next time I run it will be to get it ready for summer storage. The city is even using stop-gates on the ends of the roadgraders used to clear the roads so piles aren't left at the end of the driveway to play with.

With only 1 or so inches at a time....the shovel gets the "light" workout......Half the time the wind is whipping so good it blows half of the new fallen snow into the yard.

Maybe it is time to modify the shovel....shave the handle to lighten the weight? A little bit of wax on the blade to make the snow slide extra good? Use the bench grinder to get an optimal edge on the bottom to increase scraping capability and efficiency?

This post is all in good fun.....just snow already!!!!!

Well, back to the salt mine for now.

Steve

Simplicity 860DLXE (1694241)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
You're the "Good Humor" man !

Good humor !
post #3 of 12 Old 02-05-2018, 02:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
keep up the good outlook.. it beats frowning over something you can't change. But.. few prayers ..you just never know. God has a humor too- you might get dumped with 15 inches and -10degress following it with 50mph winds!
post #4 of 12 Old 02-05-2018, 04:40 PM
cmb

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
keep up the good outlook.. it beats frowning over something you can't change. But.. few prayers ..you just never know. God has a humor too- you might get dumped with 15 inches and -10degress following it with 50mph winds!
I'm evidence of The Lord's sense of humor......I'm LEFT HANDED
post #5 of 12 Old 02-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
If it isn't throwing the snow like it used to maybe it is time to re-power it. Have you tried handing it to your wife?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-05-2018, 05:30 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 359
Likes (Received): 593
Garage
if you really want it to snow, heres how to make it happen...., drain fuel from machine, fog tank and engine for long term storage, change oil, lube all cables etc, wax machine from top to bottom, stow it in the back corner of garage and bury it in other garage items so it will be at least one hour of work just to get to the blower. follow my instructions grasshopper....and it will snow when you least expect it and you HAVE to get out of your driveway !

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bob E, jrom, jonnied12, jsup, aldfam4 liked this post
post #7 of 12 Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 20
Get out the power washer and wash your snowblower, then it'll snow. LOL
post #8 of 12 Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 13
I've had a similar experience here in Chicago this winter. Did you, by any chance, buy a new and overpowered snow blower? I bought an Ariens Platinum 24" last fall, and we haven't gotten more than 3" or so this winter. Yesterday we got maybe 3". It was getting close to game time so I gave up on waiting for the snow to stop. I could have just shoveled it in about the same time or perhaps less (cleaning up the sidewalks after using a 2-stage takes a bit of time), but I got the blower out just because I wanted to play with it. Next thing I know the snow stopped and the sky was blue. I'm sure that's just a coincidence... right?

Enjoy it while it lasts. As soon as that machine breaks or you run out of gas you're getting 2 feet. 3 if someone borrows your good shovel and doesn't bring it back.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO EFI
post #9 of 12 Old 02-06-2018, 07:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsm View Post
Lack of snow here this winter has left me without a single use on my snowblower....Even the snow we get is gone after we get a few sunny days in the upper 20's to low 30's so I don't get a chance to head to the backyard to blow snow up into a mound for my kids to play on/in. Every storm predicted for my area this year has either gone north/south/east/west of Sioux Falls.....rather than steam rolling us.

I've even tried a few extra prayers at church on Sunday and lighting a few extra candles......I must have done something not good to really make someone up above mad.

If things don't change, the next time I run it will be to get it ready for summer storage. The city is even using stop-gates on the ends of the roadgraders used to clear the roads so piles aren't left at the end of the driveway to play with.

With only 1 or so inches at a time....the shovel gets the "light" workout......Half the time the wind is whipping so good it blows half of the new fallen snow into the yard.

Maybe it is time to modify the shovel....shave the handle to lighten the weight? A little bit of wax on the blade to make the snow slide extra good? Use the bench grinder to get an optimal edge on the bottom to increase scraping capability and efficiency?

This post is all in good fun.....just snow already!!!!!

Well, back to the salt mine for now.

Steve
Well now I wish we had your problem here aboot 250 east of SIOUX FALLS. Seems like we are stuck in a rut of Freezing our TUCUSES OFF HERE. and that crap that dropped from the sky 2 weeks ago is just like a strange relative that does not know when to leave. so count your lucky stars there because you could be writing aboot when this nightmare of a winter is finally over. AND TO LET EVERYBODY HERE KNOW THAT I HATE WINTER'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 12 Old 02-06-2018, 07:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1033
Likes (Received): 175
I wish there were "laughing", "rolling laughing" and "coffee out your nose laughing" buttons by the "Thank for this post" and "Like this post" zones.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) – Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) – Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
Likes Dragonsm liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page