post #1 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
i'm about done with CL

I don't think I'll ever us craigslist to sell anymore. Over the past couple of months I've been putting various items for sale on CL car parts, musical instruments, snowblowers etc...and all of these items that I've put on there 99.99% of the responses that I get are from someone in texas, ny, Georgia, new mexico ( I live in Michigan) sending me a text message saying they are interested in item please respond to the following email address.
This is getting beyond frustrating, and I think that I' m done trying to sell stuff with them.
Anyone else have this going on?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Freddy Ford liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 12:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 27
I feel your pain. I don't sell a whole lot on Craigslist, but because of what you experienced, I state in the ad that I will not respond to texts or emails. If interested call.

That weeds out most of the scammers that send emails and texts

I don't mind spending money, I mind wasting money.

Last edited by ZTMAN; 02-06-2018 at 12:48 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
First off . . . those people are not interested in what you are selling. They are interested in what they are asking for, namely your email address or phone number. They gather those bits of information to sell to marketing databases and spammers.

There is a delete button on your email system for this very reason.

You'll be able to tell the real ones from the phishing folks, and ignore the rest. Once you do that CL becomes reasonably useful again.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #4 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 02:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 25
I agree completely! Unfortunately I don't use eBay anymore because of the fees. Haven't used them in 8 years and won't, so I have been using Craigslist exclusively. The last item I tried to sell netted a total of 10!!!!!! spam text messages in 2 days. Not kidding. I won't do texting at all anymore, only e-mail and phone calls. They need to start cracking down on fraudulent postings too, which also pop up on eBay as well. Even people who aren't scammers will will promise to show up all the time but won't. Then there are the Paypal scams where they want to send you money first without seeing the item, then give you too much and ask for money back, etc... If I had other alternatives I'd use them, but for now I only sell stuff I really want to get rid of. Otherwise I don't bother because like you I am sick of it all.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
maybe I should start switching everything to call only.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 04:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
I put in the ad no texts.....I get about twenty as soon as I place the ad, and just delete them without reading......Facebook Marketplace I just started using and get some results from........
post #7 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 04:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I don't think I'll ever us craigslist to sell anymore. Over the past couple of months I've been putting various items for sale on CL car parts, musical instruments, snowblowers etc...and all of these items that I've put on there 99.99% of the responses that I get are from someone in texas, ny, Georgia, new mexico ( I live in Michigan) sending me a text message saying they are interested in item please respond to the following email address.
This is getting beyond frustrating, and I think that I' m done trying to sell stuff with them.
Anyone else have this going on?
Tell me about these "musical instruments". I'm always looking for an odd ball, or interesting guitar. Just bought another today that was a good deal.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I much prefer email. It goes through the CL anonymizing system, which is nice, you aren't giving out your email address.

Unfortunately, calls or texts give out your phone number, which is probably more valuable to scammers/spammers, and is tougher to "replace". A throwaway email address is easy and free, but needing to get a new cell # is very unappealing.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks uberT thanked for this post
Likes uberT, Grunt liked this post
post #9 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 22
I have bought and sold successfully many times on CL.

It is kinda' getting easier to spot fakes. Many times the reply wil have dashes in between the title posting. Ex: if one advertises "Honda superclean snowblower" and a reply comes back as "Honda-superclean-snowblower" with "-" in between then it is spam fake.

When I advertise, I will put in a manual question to answer. Ex: "Please reply with your favorite pro football team in the subject line to reduce SPAM." Generally, folks will know a football team and can answer it properly to which I will respond. If it does not have a team I will not reply.

If a person puts in a phone number i will not phone right away... I like to have a short dialog to converse very briefly. If a person is interested then they will keep up. If I reply to an inquiry and there is no return reply then I know they are jerking my time.

CL is a great way to buy/ sell if one is a little patient.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
maybe I should start switching everything to call only.
I think it is easier to do the weeding out over email. Of course if you do choose to take only phone calls, you can answer only the ones from local area codes.

When I was selling my Toro 3521 I got a text from a Colorado number asking about my email address or phone number (can't quite remember). My response to them was that they were contacting me from a Colorado phone number. They didn't reply after that.

Last weekend, I listed an IKEA bed frame on CL. I got an almost immediate call from a California number, then several other calls from local numbers. The California number turned out to be legit as they left a message, but something for callers to be aware of if they have recently moved and are using a phone number that appears to be out of the area.

I think I sold the bed frame in about 30 minutes after posting it . . . got about 6 inquiries within a short period of time.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page