Reasonable price for used engine? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 7
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Reasonable price for used engine?

This is my first time posting on this site. Iíve been lurking for almost a year and have stumbled across some great information on snowblower modifications. But the time has come to ask a question because I am uncertain on how much is a fair price for a used engine.

I purchased a 8/26 YardMachine Track snowblower off craigslist for $150. It runs great. However, I feel that the engine is undersized for what Iím snowblowing. I have a 100 ft driveway with an aggressive slope that is prone to massive drifts.

I am wanting to add more power. I found a few 10hp Tecumseh on Craigslist but not sure how much I should invest in a used engine or if it would be better to invest in a HF 13 hp predator.

Any ideas on how much I should be spending on a used 10hp Tecumseh engine?

Thanks,
Matt
Mattsbay18 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 114
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 22
I paid $75 for a Troy-Bilt 10-26 a few weeks ago with pulling the engine off in mind. I kept the engine for myself and gave the rest of the machine to my friend. I felt $75 was a great price for just the engine and I figure anywhere from $100 to $125 for a 10HP is fair. I'm also in NY and prices here are much higher.
FlamingSpaghetti is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
 
sscotsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NY, USA
Posts: 3,661
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingSpaghetti View Post
. I'm also in NY and prices here are much higher.
You need to designate where in NY you are!
New York City and Buffalo are on different planets..

Scot


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sscotsman is online now  
post #4 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
tpenfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,040
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage


I think $100 for a 10 HP engine in decent shape is a good price. anything more than $125 might be a bit steep.

Regards, Ted
.
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
tpenfield is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes FullThrottle liked this post
post #5 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 1,702
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
smallenginesupply had a 414 ( or was it 420?) cc engine that was a snow engine with primer, electric start, mitten grip, shielding....etc. for like 160...with $75 delivery to Massachusetts. I would go that route before doing the big Predator. I bought one for a potential kick ass blower I have in mind...but got sidetracked and haven't opened the box yet.
cranman is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lowell area, MA
Posts: 3,246
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
The 301cc Predator will cost around $240, I think.

A used Tecumseh will certainly be cheaper, at prices ~$100. Probably louder than the OHV Predator, but also maybe easier to set up, as the Tec it's likely ready for winter already.

Curious, does the machine use 1 or 2 auger belts? If you're adding power, you will put a larger load on the belt. You could even go to a larger pulley on the engine, to drive the impeller faster if you wanted (more throwing distance).

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
RedOctobyr is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 114
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
You need to designate where in NY you are!
New York City and Buffalo are on different planets..

Scot
Long Island to be specific. I'm an Eastern Yorker.
FlamingSpaghetti is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
1132le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: ma
Posts: 1,150
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 186
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
smallenginesupply had a 414 ( or was it 420?) cc engine that was a snow engine with primer, electric start, mitten grip, shielding....etc. for like 160...with $75 delivery to Massachusetts. I would go that route before doing the big Predator. I bought one for a potential kick ass blower I have in mind...but got sidetracked and haven't opened the box yet.
I tried to find that deal it seems to be gone
i was gonna put the 414cc on my st824
the 414cc motor is very strong

100 for a 10 hp is a great price most are asking 150 170 for a10hp
i paid 100 for 8hp thought that was fair
and iam cheap

Last edited by 1132le; 02-06-2018 at 04:46 PM.
1132le is online now  
post #9 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 1,702
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
I just upgraded a late 70's 924 32 in Ariens with a 2005 10 hp Tecumseh....worked out well.....,but I've got an 11 hp Briggs on a 36 in Ariens and a 12 hp Tec on a 36 in Ariens I want to play with on my 32 in Ariens project......but I'm still thinking the 414 LCT....
cranman is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Jackmels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ma.
Posts: 1,988
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 313
Likes (Received): 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsbay18 View Post
This is my first time posting on this site. Iíve been lurking for almost a year and have stumbled across some great information on snowblower modifications. But the time has come to ask a question because I am uncertain on how much is a fair price for a used engine.

I purchased a 8/26 YardMachine Track snowblower off craigslist for $150. It runs great. However, I feel that the engine is undersized for what Iím snowblowing. I have a 100 ft driveway with an aggressive slope that is prone to massive drifts.

I am wanting to add more power. I found a few 10hp Tecumseh on Craigslist but not sure how much I should invest in a used engine or if it would be better to invest in a HF 13 hp predator.

Any ideas on how much I should be spending on a used 10hp Tecumseh engine?

Thanks,
Matt
Your Choices of Engine are Limited. Keep in Mind You'll Need a Double Shaft Engine for a Yardmachine.
Jackmels is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome