LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 18
Toro Snowmaster 724QXE update.

Back in the fall 0f 2016 I decided the Snowmaster would be a good choice for my mom's property (and me ).
The machine would be used on an approx. 175ft by a tight 2 car wide drive with an approx. 15ft x 20ft or so pull off area in front of the garage near the house end, also a 2' x 20' sidewalk.

My main reasons for choosing this model were based on the videos on YT showing the machine to be very capable in deeper snow and its compactness, and maneuverability ( I can spin it around with one hand as well as pull it back with little effort).

Last season I posted some responses to others' questions here so I'll focus on this season so far. Earlier this year I was thinking about getting a single stage push model (even tossed around the idea of cordless) for the light stuff as even shoveling all this pavement with powdery snow is tiring.

So this season thus far has been a series if nuisance events mainly 2-4" of light fluff and so I figured with the first snowfall I'd try the Snowmaster in such light accumulations and I'm impressed with its ability to blow light snow at a good distance and also I was able to travel at a brisk pace since it has a significantly higher top speed than my 2 stage.

The last "storm" was about 3" of powder and I figured I'd also try the Snapper 2-stage (22 inch) and found the accumulation was too light for the impeller to load up fast enough that the snow only blew up to maybe 8 feet or so (the Snapper can blow up to around 30 feet under ideal conditions). I have come to the conclusion that had I gone with a 2-stage instead I would have been shoveling the long drive in each of these snowfalls.

Now today we had about an inch of snow and it was wet this time since the temps were around 30F at the time and a light rain started, out came the snowmaster. The results were the same with the chute aimed straight ahead and the deflector full up the snow flew in a good stream maybe 10 feet high by about 20 feet out and maybe 15 feet or so distance with the chute at 90 degrees but that's plenty to send it into the lawn from anywhere on the driveway. Also keep in mind that the impeller (or rotor as Toro calls it) doesn't quite contact the ground and with such small snowfall the scooping action of the scraper bar is what loads the bucket and the throw distance increases when the depth is sufficient for the impeller to actually bite in.

In the end I think getting this machine is the best decision I could have made, it's still useful in anything deeper than a coating eliminating the need for a small push type single stage (further saving space), capable of chucking deeper stuff in "real" storms, super easy to move around, mine scrapes to pavement reasonably well, Maintenance/repair seems easy enough, still started with one pull (even with a mix of last season's gas and some gas from the fall for the mowers, all with stabilizer of course), If I had one "complaint" is that the fuel line is inaccessible since it's under the tank and goes directly to the carb so draining the tank seems a hassle by having to remove the tank but it may be possible to run some longer hose out and around in the open to install a shutoff valve or to drain.

Just wanted to provide my experience to the group.

2003 Snapper I55224 - 5.5HP Tecumseh OHV OHSK55 (195cc)
2016 Toro Snowmaster 724QXE - Loncin 212cc, 2017/18 Toro PowerMax 724OE - Loncin 212cc
Post Thanks / Like - 5 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt, Jatoxico, nwcove, RedOctobyr, detdrbuzzard thanked for this post
Likes Grunt, nwcove, RedOctobyr liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
Nice write-up on the Snowmaster.

I have noticed that the newer 2-stage machines have higher gears to go at a more pace needed for the light snowfalls. Not sure how old the Lawnboy is, but older 2 stage machines typically do not have a high enough gear for the light stuff.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #3 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
To quote Charles Caleb Colton, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Check out this offering from our friends in China.

https://powersmartusa.com/collection...ed-snow-blower
post #4 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
I'm currently solving the light snow and slush vs big snow dilemma the way others do, with a small single stage and larger two stage. The single stage isn't very wide so it takes some time with my new driveway config.

Very interested in these machines and after researching came to similar conclusion that this would be a very good all around solution for me. They seem to be outstanding performers for a variety of snow types. Only concern is how it would work in the really big snows we get now and then. If I can't go to one machine it doesn't make much sense to spend the $.

BSumS, would love to hear continued reviews as you gain experience.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 03:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
God review. I need something for light snow as well but have a gravel drive and don't think you can use a single stage on gravel.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatoxico View Post
I'm currently solving the light snow and slush vs big snow dilemma the way others do, with a small single stage and larger two stage. The single stage isn't very wide so it takes some time with my new driveway config.

Very interested in these machines and after researching came to similar conclusion that this would be a very good all around solution for me. They seem to be outstanding performers for a variety of snow types. Only concern is how it would work in the really big snows we get now and then. If I can't go to one machine it doesn't make much sense to spend the $.

BSumS, would love to hear continued reviews as you gain experience.
Just go on youtube and search Toro Snowmaster and several videos should come up, including some showing the blower almost buried in EOD.

2003 Snapper I55224 - 5.5HP Tecumseh OHV OHSK55 (195cc)
2016 Toro Snowmaster 724QXE - Loncin 212cc, 2017/18 Toro PowerMax 724OE - Loncin 212cc
post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 08:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
You can use a SnowMaster on gravel or turf because it has skid shoes and isn't made for the paddles to touch the ground. Paul @ Moving Snow.com has video showing him clearing his backyard for his dogs I think.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blosumsno View Post
Just go on youtube and search Toro Snowmaster and several videos should come up, including some showing the blower almost buried in EOD.
Probably seen them all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page