LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-09-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
SnowBlowing Record Keeping

I'm not much of a snowblower fanatic . . . . I just gave up on having my driveway plowed in 2007, after tolerating 20 years of abuse and banged up buildings and ripped up lawns.

Now, after doing my driveway(s) and parking lots and several hundred feet of foot paths for the past 11 or 12 years, I decided this year to keep a simple record of how often I actually engage in this activity (about 1 gallon of gas each time) and so I created a chart . . . . something with these headings:

DRIVEWAYS__________PARKING__________FOOTPATHS_____ ______DECK__________ROOFS

And using these headings, I just put in the dates that each task was completed (the Deck is separated because we use a Toro Electric on it, and the Roofs are where we have to use a Roof Rake to pull the snow off shallow roofs on garages and sheds and barns), so that doesn't apply here.

What is surprising to me is that I just did my 15th snowblowing yesterday, February 8th, 2018, and I did my 1st one this winter on December 8th, 2017; so I consider that to be only 60 days, meaning that I've had to do snowblowing 15/60 days OR One day out of every Four !; and this isn't even a bad winter . . . . and I DO NOT clear snow just for the fun of it !

I was just pondering this and wondering if anyone else has kept such a record ?

Last year, I kept a record of my Lawn Mowings we have four lawns, and surprised myself that they each got cut 24 times; and I thought that surely Snow Blowing would have been a less frequent activity . . . . but now I'm wondering. It's got me a bit depressed !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-09-2018, 11:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
I own a Landscaping and snowplowing business and I keep a record on all my accounts . It's fun to be able to look up what yr had the most runs and snow accumulation

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #3 of 10 Old 02-10-2018, 12:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont007 View Post
I'm not much of a snowblower fanatic . . . . I just gave up on having my driveway plowed in 2007, after tolerating 20 years of abuse and banged up buildings and ripped up lawns.

Now, after doing my driveway(s) and parking lots and several hundred feet of foot paths for the past 11 or 12 years, I decided this year to keep a simple record of how often I actually engage in this activity (about 1 gallon of gas each time) and so I created a chart . . . . something with these headings:

DRIVEWAYS__________PARKING__________FOOTPATHS_____ ______DECK__________ROOFS

And using these headings, I just put in the dates that each task was completed (the Deck is separated because we use a Toro Electric on it, and the Roofs are where we have to use a Roof Rake to pull the snow off shallow roofs on garages and sheds and barns), so that doesn't apply here.

What is surprising to me is that I just did my 15th snowblowing yesterday, February 8th, 2018, and I did my 1st one this winter on December 8th, 2017; so I consider that to be only 60 days, meaning that I've had to do snowblowing 15/60 days OR One day out of every Four !; and this isn't even a bad winter . . . . and I DO NOT clear snow just for the fun of it !

I was just pondering this and wondering if anyone else has kept such a record ?

Last year, I kept a record of my Lawn Mowings we have four lawns, and surprised myself that they each got cut 24 times; and I thought that surely Snow Blowing would have been a less frequent activity . . . . but now I'm wondering. It's got me a bit depressed !
Are you talking 15 sessions total which would equal each property every 15 days, or do you mean each property every four days which would equal 96 times total and be very similar to mowing grass. I am taking this as you blow snow 60 percent less than you mow grass. But blowing snow every 15 days is way more than I do in two months.

Last edited by dwgray; 02-10-2018 at 12:24 AM.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-10-2018, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgray View Post
Are you talking 15 sessions total which would equal each property every 15 days, or do you mean each property every four days which would equal 96 times total and be very similar to mowing grass. I am taking this as you blow snow 60 percent less than you mow grass. But blowing snow every 15 days is way more than I do in two months.
No; there's just one property involved, thankfully. That's the Farm I live on . . . . maybe it's just too complicated to summarize for a Forum ?

What I showed above were just the headings for the columns of data collection for the different categories of activity that must be performed.

So, with Winter only half over (?) as of February 8th, I had snowblown my Driveway 15 times, snowblowed the Parking areas 15 times, cleared the Footpaths 12 times, snowblowed the 600 SF Decks 9 times, and I raked the Roofs 6 times . . . . but it's all on this one property. The Footpaths are one network to allow pedestrian traffic between buildings and various Burn Pits, Compost Piles, and outdoor Animal Pens or Corrals.

That's as of February 8th. Maybe the addition of information of lawn mowing was too confusing because it represented an entire season.

Last edited by Vermont007; 02-10-2018 at 06:28 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
The only records I keep for my snowblower is the day I used it on and for how many hours I ran it, for oil change purposes. Piece of paper tacked on the wall with a sharpie nearby.

Machines:
Ariens Deluxe 30 Platinum Series Model#: 921018

Toro Power Clear 518 ZE Model#: 38473

post #6 of 10 Old 02-24-2018, 01:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 48
Garage
I don't have a log, but I put an hour meter on my main machine. I put about 7 hours on it so far this year. I've used the shovel 3-4 times this winter. Doc says to lose weight....

Bob

Last edited by Ariens hydro pro; 02-24-2018 at 01:19 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 10 Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
Doc says to lose weight....
glad i'm not alone, lose weight plus cut out salt, lower your BP. heck i'm 74 what's left if i start living the doc's way.
is mickey D's open for a double 1/4 pounder yet?
post #8 of 10 Old 02-24-2018, 11:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 656
Thanks (Received): 165
Likes (Given): 1027
Likes (Received): 1063
Garage
good exercise. then don't feel guilty about having some oreos.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #9 of 10 Old 02-24-2018, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Hey Vermont007, I didn't realize you're a neighbor....

Central Vermonter here.

Ice fishing must be good up your way this year, eh?!?

Machines:
Ariens Deluxe 30 Platinum Series Model#: 921018

Toro Power Clear 518 ZE Model#: 38473

post #10 of 10 Old 02-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 47
I'm good with the added hour meter, and a running logbook that shows when I buy fuel, plus when any service or adjustment is done. Engine hours and fuel use are each pretty good indicators of when to do any service tasks. 2016-17 Winter was the only one where there was enough accumulated use to merit a mid-year oil change service. The rest of the time it gets a full service as part of its beginning of hibernation season protocol.

New Husqy ST227P for 2014-15 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page