LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Snow blowing strategy

Well. After getting “plowed in” several times and having to snow blow more dense snow plow snow, I came up with a new strategy to prevent this. I actually know the rough time the plow starts in the morning. So I’m up before the county plow.
I blow the driveway and then at the end of the driveway in the direction from where the plow comes I actually cut into and blow the road two snow blower swaths wider than what was plowed. I do it about 20’ before the driveway. The length of how much I blow is really a visual estimate of the volume of the co plow blade. When it gets to the double swath area I blew out, the plow blade empties and there’s no snow to plow me in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
there are quite a few guys here that have been using your strategy for years, there is an old post about it

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
I get the theory of this idea..but..it doesnt really make sense to me, because:

maybe I dont fully get it! but it seems to me that using this method, or using the "regular" method, you are still moving the exact same amount of snow, and you are taking just as long to do it, (or longer) but you are just moving it from different places.

First time snowblowing:

Regular method:
You clear the EOD (End Of Driveway) snow from the end of the driveway. all the snow the street plow gave you. the end.

The "cut out method" - you clear the EOD same as always from the end of the driveway, but then you also make the cutout outside of the driveway, in antipication of the next snowfall.

On snowblowing episode #1, you are clearing *twice* the amount of EOD snow.

Second time snowblowing:

The "cut out method" - you made your cutout from the first time, lets see how it worked out: You now have approx half of the snow from the snowplow in your cutout, and half in your driveway..yes, there is *less* in the driveway..but..so what? You still need to clean out the end of the driveway, and you also want to clean out the cutout again in anticipation of the 3rd snowfall..so you are clearing the same amount of snow..and probbaly taking longer to do it because you are clearing twice the EOD square footage.

So the first time, you clear double the EOD snow amont, the regular amount from the driveway, then the same amount again from the "cutout"

then on the next uses, you are clearing the same amount of snow, but half in the driveway, and half in the cutout..and probably taking longer to do it...So, where is the real benefit? am I not seeing an important aspect?

thanks,
Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 09:42 AM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
Moving light fluffy snow is alot easier on operator and machine than the typical eod deposit.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, stevexmoto liked this post
post #5 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 10:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
It sounds like you are doing the same EOD work but choosing to move snow that has had time to set, freeze and settle and compress. I agree you don't want to feed the upstream bank because you will just get it back.

I often start with a beeline to the EOD to get it out of the way. Also, if I'm there at the end of the storm I'm moving the mid storm bank and the final town pass will be quick work when they come by latter. If I'm lucky this happens before I go in or my neighbor beats me to it.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 11:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 8
Makes perfect sense as long as you can get out there before the plows come by. I'm on a main road, so they plow it multiple times per storm. I just try to throw everything on the far side of the EOD to limit how much is pushed back when the town comes around doing their final passes.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
Moving light fluffy snow is alot easier on operator and machine than the typical eod deposit.
But light fluffy snow isnt part of this discussion..at all.
we arent talking about the undisturbed snow in the middle of the driveway..that snow is the same with either method.
the difference between the two methods is totally concerned about the EOD snow only, the snow that has been deposited by the plow.

Scot

post #8 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
I have over 600' of frontage and employ such a technique, and the benefit is that I don't have to go back out a 2nd time after the State's Snowplow goes by . . . . for the 20' or 25' preceding my driveway, they just don't have anything to shoot back on my driveway because I took it away.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
Makes perfect sense as long as you can get out there before the plows come by.
ohhh.. (the lightbulb goes on)
thats a thing that actually happens in the world?
Here in western NY, no one gets out before the plows come by..ever..because the plows come by after the first couple inches..then again after the next few inches, then again after a few more inches..

And I only go out once, when the storm is over..by then the roads are clear, the plows have been by several times, (the plows are usually completely finished plowing) and the EOD is thick and heavy. So im always snowblowing after the plows have already finished..never before.

I suppose if you live waaaaaay out in the country, (or in areas that dont get a lot of snow, and so arent used to plowing all the time) then you could get out before the plows come by..but that a very tiny minority of "snowblower people" overall who have that option. (at least in my experience, my entire life in Upstate and Western NY)
I honestly never even considered, until this thread, that getting out before the plows, with the full and final amount of snow for the storm, was even a thing that could happen! huh..

so..this method still doesnt work for most people..
If you go out once per storm, when the snow is finished, with the full amount of snow already fallen, for most people you already have thick EOD snow..in which case the "cut out method" doesnt help you..

So i suppouse it could work for some people..but for me it could never work, because I dont have the right conditions for it.
which explains why I couldnt understand it.

interesting!
Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 02-10-2018 at 12:32 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-10-2018, 12:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
With a typical V plow and wing set up on most DOT equipment, I think you are all fooling yourselves thinking a couple of swipes with a snowblower on the edge of the road will reduce EOD deposits. The plow is constantly loading with snow starting all the way in the center of the right of way and the tiny bit of snow you are clearing from the path of the last couple of feet of the wing is inconsequential.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page