Snowblower Forum banner

Need help Ariens st504..

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  erichall84 
#1 ·
I feel stupid and don't really know what the heck I've done. Replaced the carb and primer hose on my st504 model 932006. In the process I removed the bracket around the gear shift lever (don't know what its called). After putting it all back together I must have messed something up or put something on wrong. Every thing with the carb and primer hose is great and she runs good. The problem is my shift lever isn't positioned in the correct location now. The shift lever normally has pressure inward towards the bracket with the indents for each gear position. You would pull the lever back a little and move it to your desired gear. Now the lever is about a half inch away from the bracket and when you move the lever side to side it doesn't feel right. The lever is super easy to move back and forth. Now I did start it and somehow it still works and drives but I know it's not right. I really don't know what I did. Hopefully I just mounted something wrong. It's hard to explain this without actually seeing it and feeling what I'm talking about but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. If anyone has a pic of the shift lever on one of these or a similar machine I would appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Sounds like you are missing a spring that keeps the shift lever engaged with the detentes to hold the gear positions.

#7 ·
Post the pictures as I have a ST522 and can maybe match it up to mine.

#12 ·
when you pull it forward to change gears it should want to go back in the next hole if you can move it out from the spot its in and wants to go back to that it could be bent
if not pull the bottom cover and play with it and watch it has to be a spring off someplace i had one of those but its been to long ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.