LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Tires for HS55

So I had a tire tear on my HS55. I believe the tire, tube and rim are original, so I might just replace the tubes and tires. The unit still runs, so I am likely waiting until the season is over to make the change but wanted some ideas on brands you prefer because I see pricing all over the place. The current tire and size: Snow Grip II 14x4.0-6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
I have had these Sno Hogs on my MTD for 20 years and they are still great tires...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1371_200331371
post #3 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 34

i would recommend these carlisle tires. a little taller and a little wider but probably the best traction you can get without chains
post #4 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Would both of those fit on the rims? Clearance wise I have plenty of space.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 05:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 34
they should both fit, nice thing about those hondas are the split rims which means you can install wide tires with very little difficulty, i actually have a set of brand new carlisles i never used because they were to wide for my ariens rims but since you have split rims it wont matter
post #6 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
I had those weird tires on a HS624 I bought. The rubber is ridiculously thin and they have a metal ring that sits in a slot to form a bead. One tire wouldn't hold air so I filled it with slime. When I aired the tire up the slime was coming out of pores in the rubber. I ordered the Carlisles. It was a bear to get one of the two piece wheels apart. It's also a bear to get the heavier Calisle to seat on those rims but it's doable.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 123
Yes, the Carlisle X-Trac 15" x 5" x 6" is a great replacement tire for your HS55 rims. My only suggestion would be to avoid going tubeless and add 15" x 5" x 6" inner tubes with T87 (90 degree) valves. Honda's split rim design is not a good option for sealing the useless factory tubeless tire (with silly metal ring insert.....joke) which is why Honda switched to a one piece rim not too long ago.

Here's step-by-step instructions for replacing the tires. Toughest part about replacing the tires is breaking the bead on the old tires before splitting the rims. I typically use a piece of 2" x 10" wood plank about 6' long, place the edge of the plank on one side of the tire (not touching the rim), place the other end of the plank under the front tire of my SUV, and slowly drive up the plank till I "feel the bead pop". Spin the rim around 180 degrees and repeat the process and that should take care of breaking the bead on the front side of the tire. Just repeat the same process on the backside of the rim then go ahead and split the rim in two pieces, remove the old tire and remove the old inner tube. Then take one side of the new tire and "snap it" over the front side of the rim and work it tight all the way around. Take your new inner tube (I suggest getting one with a right angle valve), add about 1/2 pound of air (just enough to give it some shape), take the inner tube and work it into the empty tire cavity, then "snap" the other side of the rim onto the backside of the tire making sure you line-up the holes for both sides of the rim and paying careful attention not to pinch the both sides of the rim on the new inner tube. Insert the four bolts and tighten both sides of the rim together. Slowly add about 5lbs of air, and "flex" the tire by hand all the way around the rim, add another 10lbs of air (taking it up to 15PSI) and the tire bead should "seat" on both sides of the rim. After that, deflate the tire down to 10lbs which should be your operating tire pressure.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve

Last edited by Freezn; 02-21-2018 at 06:24 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-21-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. Great info there. I'll let you know if I run into any problems.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-23-2018, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
As an FYI, I didn't use tubes and it's been about three years. The tires hold air fine. Try it without the tubes first. I used standard cheap tire valves, I think slime brand from Autozone.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-25-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezn View Post
Yes, the Carlisle X-Trac 15" x 5" x 6" is a great replacement tire for your HS55 rims. My only suggestion would be to avoid going tubeless and add 15" x 5" x 6" inner tubes with T87 (90 degree) valves. Honda's split rim design is not a good option for sealing the useless factory tubeless tire (with silly metal ring insert.....joke) which is why Honda switched to a one piece rim not too long ago.

Here's step-by-step instructions for replacing the tires. Toughest part about replacing the tires is breaking the bead on the old tires before splitting the rims. I typically use a piece of 2" x 10" wood plank about 6' long, place the edge of the plank on one side of the tire (not touching the rim), place the other end of the plank under the front tire of my SUV, and slowly drive up the plank till I "feel the bead pop". Spin the rim around 180 degrees and repeat the process and that should take care of breaking the bead on the front side of the tire. Just repeat the same process on the backside of the rim then go ahead and split the rim in two pieces, remove the old tire and remove the old inner tube. Then take one side of the new tire and "snap it" over the front side of the rim and work it tight all the way around. Take your new inner tube (I suggest getting one with a right angle valve), add about 1/2 pound of air (just enough to give it some shape), take the inner tube and work it into the empty tire cavity, then "snap" the other side of the rim onto the backside of the tire making sure you line-up the holes for both sides of the rim and paying careful attention not to pinch the both sides of the rim on the new inner tube. Insert the four bolts and tighten both sides of the rim together. Slowly add about 5lbs of air, and "flex" the tire by hand all the way around the rim, add another 10lbs of air (taking it up to 15PSI) and the tire bead should "seat" on both sides of the rim. After that, deflate the tire down to 10lbs which should be your operating tire pressure.
I just put the new tires onto the rims and am having one **** of a time getting the bead to seat. I tried the strap method and it helped but not enough. The tires came via UPS with the bead all pushed down on the one side. Worked as a car mechanic and sold tires for awhile and never saw car tires like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page