post #31 of 35 Old 04-21-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw351 View Post
Thanks for your research into that pulley. I think the Ariens impeller shaft has a flat machined into the pulley end for a drive boss that is then bolted to the pulley. I will take it apart today and see exactly how it is constructed.

Thanks for your help.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 04-21-2018, 11:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 158
Garage
Hey Town....

Thinking about your project, how about taking a 1-inch diameter round stock Drilling and tapping the center to the same thread pitch as the crankshaft threaded hole. Then make an extension adapter to the length you need , assemble it with red Loctite on the threads. Then when you have it tightened as much as you can you will carefully take a cutting wheel and make a slot for a full-length key to go between crankshaft and new adapter and pulley.
I think this should work without any issues and make your project easier.
You could also take a 1-inch diameter round stock and drill a hole through the center, then have a keyway cut onto it, and then have a long Bolt through this new piece and bolt into your crankshaft. This would make it longer and be able to allow the pulley to slide on it. But machining would have to be perfect as it will be turning 3600 rpms. Just another idea to make the crankshaft longer.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Town thanked for this post
post #33 of 35 Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw351 View Post
Hey Town....

Thinking about your project, how about taking a 1-inch diameter round stock Drilling and tapping the center to the same thread pitch as the crankshaft threaded hole. Then make an extension adapter to the length you need , assemble it with red Loctite on the threads. Then when you have it tightened as much as you can you will carefully take a cutting wheel and make a slot for a full-length key to go between crankshaft and new adapter and pulley.
I think this should work without any issues and make your project easier.
You could also take a 1-inch diameter round stock and drill a hole through the center, then have a keyway cut onto it, and then have a long Bolt through this new piece and bolt into your crankshaft. This would make it longer and be able to allow the pulley to slide on it. But machining would have to be perfect as it will be turning 3600 rpms. Just another idea to make the crankshaft longer.
Thanks Shaw351 for that ingenious approach. I will take a look at doing that.

I took my machine apart today and was surprised to find the driven pulley for the auger is actually 8.5" and not 9" as I previously measured while the machine was together. Using pulley outside diameter that should give an impeller speed of 1197 rpm, but I only measure 1100 or so. It appears that you really need to use the pulley ratio diameter for a half inch belt which sits about 1/8" below the pulley diameter. So when I reduce the two pulleys to 2.5" and 8.25" the impeller speed reduces to 1120 rpm which is about what I measured.

So now my focus is on your above proposed solution of extending crank shaft length and attaching the 3.05" engine pulley to give a corrected impeller speed of 1255 rpm. I can probably use the stock belt with some adjustment to the idler pulley location.

Thanks very much for your ideas.

post #34 of 35 Old 04-22-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here are some pics of the Platinum impeller driven pulley assembly:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens impeller double driven pulley & boss.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	143402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens Impeller driven pulley .jpg
Views:	50
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	143410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens Impeller driven pulley 8.5 dia.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	143418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens Impeller shaft & drive boss.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	143426  

post #35 of 35 Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just an update on fitting a dual belt pulley to my SHO. I bought a 2AK32x1 pulley and had a machine shop lengthen it to fit the SHO. Installed it today and it runs well with stock belts. Engine rpm is 3,925 and with the 3.25 engine pulley drives the impeller at 1,447 rpm. No vibration either.

Post #50 in this thread gives some pics: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...des-fan-5.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page