steep driveway, unsure which model to purchase - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 08-15-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
steep driveway, unsure which model to purchase

hi all. i live in upstate ny where we regularly see 100-200" of snowfall per year (thank you great lakes). my driveway is 10' wide, and from the street to the garage is about 120'. normally i just park by the house in the winter which cuts the amount of shoveling in half, but i'd like to get a snowblower before the snow flies again. there is a big elevation drop from the house to the garage--the driveway is quite steep (20 degree grade if i had to guess?). i'm thinking i need a track drive unit to get it up and down the driveway? i saw lowes has a troy bilt 2690xp for a fair price, but i'm concerned that the engine is undersized for the amount of snow we get. i work from home frequently so i don't need to worry about being able to clear the driveway expediently when we have heavy snows--i just want to know that the blower will make it up & down the driveway and get the job done. i have asthma so shoveling this stuff is a nightmare.

if anyone has recommendations i'm all ears. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 340
Likes (Received): 576
Garage
avoid the troy, look at ariens or honda.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 68
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 283

If it was 1992 and the Troy Bilt factory was still down the Thruway from you in Troy, NY I'd say buy one. Their blowers were actually really good back then.

For almost the same price as the 2690XP you can buy an Ariens Deluxe 28 or Deluxe 28 SHO instead.

I prefer Toro's myself but these models are world class snow throwing machines

1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
1983 Craftsman FF20 plow tractor

Last edited by tdipaul; 08-15-2018 at 06:13 PM.
post #4 of 26 Old 08-15-2018, 07:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 78
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 143
Hello Serith,

As your sixty five miles north of me and you get as much of the white crap that I do and your city fathers love salt just like the NYSDOT does down here I am going to suggest that you look at the Yamaha 1028 track drive unit 10 horse power 28 inch cut electric start(the spouse will love that part) and steering brakes.
The 1028 and the 1332 have a slick lined chute and impeller housing to help prevent clogging.

Larry Kellys Yamaha store is in Hamilton, Ontario so he is only 4 hours or less away. With the Canadian dollar being weak it would be a good time to invest in one as you will get a sales discount with the currency exchange and all of your Ontario Province sales tax being 8%, refunded to you at the Niagara Falls, Ontario border crossing check point.

Larry ships his snow blowers across the border as well so keep that in mind as an option.

Last edited by leonz; 08-16-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: stuff/spelling and punctuation corrections
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, aldfam4 liked this post
post #5 of 26 Old 08-15-2018, 08:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
I would look at a tracked blower from either Honda or ariens and no other brand.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #6 of 26 Old 08-15-2018, 08:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 616
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 848
Likes (Received): 894
Garage
I believe a tracked blower is the way to go.

Honda , Yamaha , Ariens

what is your budget? now is a good time to find a used blower for a good price if you are mechanically inclined or know an honest mechanic.

the people here at Snowblower forums can help you with any service or repair question.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #7 of 26 Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Oh yes if you can get your hands on a Yamaha then that would also be good. But. If something goes wrong with the Yamaha, it could take longer to get repaired.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #8 of 26 Old 08-16-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
I believe a tracked blower is the way to go.

Honda , Yamaha , Ariens

what is your budget? now is a good time to find a used blower for a good price if you are mechanically inclined or know an honest mechanic.

the people here at Snowblower forums can help you with any service or repair question.
i'm definitely open to purchasing used and fixing/tinkering. like anything else the moment you buy something new it loses half or more of its value and is extremely hard to sell. been looking at craigslist in my & nearby cities although rarely ever see tracked models.

i'd like to stay under $2k if i buy new, and that stinks regarding the troy bilt (would have been nice as i get the 10% military discount at lowes and they have one in stock (the 2690xp)).

i don't think i need a 400cc monster to clear my driveway, but i'd prefer if i spend money that the blower lasts. seems like you have to spend $3k to achieve that unless i'm mistaken. i'm thinking about tearing up the driveway going from the house to the garage and having it regarded so it's not as steep, but even then i think a track blower will still be better as i don't want a wheeled blower rolling away from me.

my homedepot has a 24" 2 stage 223cc tracked blower for a little more than what lowes wants for the troy bilt. i wonder if that's the right one for me?
post #9 of 26 Old 08-16-2018, 02:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 616
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 848
Likes (Received): 894
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
i'm definitely open to purchasing used and fixing/tinkering. like anything else the moment you buy something new it loses half or more of its value and is extremely hard to sell. been looking at craigslist in my & nearby cities although rarely ever see tracked models.

i'd like to stay under $2k if i buy new, and that stinks regarding the troy bilt (would have been nice as i get the 10% military discount at lowes and they have one in stock (the 2690xp)).

i don't think i need a 400cc monster to clear my driveway, but i'd prefer if i spend money that the blower lasts. seems like you have to spend $3k to achieve that unless i'm mistaken. i'm thinking about tearing up the driveway going from the house to the garage and having it regarded so it's not as steep, but even then i think a track blower will still be better as i don't want a wheeled blower rolling away from me.

my homedepot has a 24" 2 stage 223cc tracked blower for a little more than what lowes wants for the troy bilt. i wonder if that's the right one for me?
you have gotten some good advice from members here who have your best interests in mind. a dealer is only interested in the sale. You can't go wrong with a well maintained used Yamaha , Ariens , or Honda That is tracked.

my neighbor got a brand new Ariens shipped free to his house with no taxes for way less than 2k and he loves it. you are smart to look now before everyone does which starts happening in the next couple months. people are still selling used machines at a good price and if you are mechanically inclined you can find a good one.

or you can watch a You-tube video on what to look for in a good used snowblower by donyboy73

hope you check back in.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #10 of 26 Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 20
With your heavy(wet) snow I would NOT get a Honda HSS928 tracked machine, all mine does is clog at the wet snow. I have heard that he 13 HP unit is better. Yamaha could be a good choice but I think that the Ariens would do you well.

Honda Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page