Ariens Pro 28 v Ariens SHO RapidTrak 28 v Honda HSS 928AT - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 121 Old 10-22-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
Ariens Pro 28 v Ariens SHO RapidTrak 28 v Honda HSS 928AT

Hi All -
I am a first-time poster here, but long-time reader, and am looking for some advice.

I live in Western NY (just outside of Buffalo) and have an OOOLD Honda HS55 that has a dying subtransmission. I played around with it for quite a while, and came to the conclusion that it most likely is in need of some repairs that I am not willing to fund for a 30+ year old machine- parts are scarce too. (adjusted shift cables & rod and also adjustment bolt underneath) I LOVE the tracks on this unit and how much torque/grip this has when removing snow - there is little to no riding up a snowbank due to this design. I have used a few other people's Ariens wheeled units (a platinum 24 and a deluxe 28) and felt that these do not hold the bucket down to the driveway(at times remember lifting up on the handles to compensate) as well as my little hs55.

So because I am looking to upgrade, I would like a 28" as a have a 3-car width driveway, that can take a while to clear with the little HS55. I am currently comparing the Ariens Proessional 28, Ariens Platinum RapidTrack 28 and the Honda HSS928AT. The Pro 28 is a beast, and has lots of nice features, but I am afraid that it (with wheels) will not perform as well as the HS55 did, in keeping it on the pavement. The rapid Track 28 looks very intriguing, but is more $$ than the pro, and am unsure how this new hybrid track system will perform compared to the Honda. The HSS928 is apparently the "Ferrari" (according to a local dealer) and is most similar to what I currently have, but when compared against the Ariens has a smaller motor, documented clogging issues, no heated hand grips, and what I understand is a slow remote-operating chute (can anyone verify this?). I am looking to keep the price around $2000, if I can with a max of $2500. I have seen some talk about the Cub Cadet 3-stage with tracks, which seems a bit gimmicky, as the extra fan would be taking power from the auger, but am interested to hear any thoughts there as well.

Any advice would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Received): 61
A wheeled machine will be more likely to ride up and tilt back than a tracked machine, but you can add weight to the front end of the wheeled unit to help keep the bucket down. The Pro 28 is a pretty heavy unit at 340 lbs, but the bucket isn't super heavy (in the sense that it doesn't take much downward pressure on the handlebars to tip the bucket up).

Although it seems like the battery start conversion I'm finishing up on mine will definitely correct the light bucket (by adding 30 lbs of battery and tray to the back of the bucket). Because it's mounted behind the skids, it should also help drive traction, as some of the weight will be on the wheels (probably about 20 lbs on the skids / 10 on the wheels if I had to guess, maybe a little closer to 15/15). I haven't finished putting stuff back together (a little bit of weight will go back on behind the axle) but right now it takes a decent bit of force to lift the bucket.
post #3 of 121 Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 152
You should look at the new track drive 824 Yamaha snow blower.
You are close enough to the border to visit Kelly Powersports in Hamilton, Ontario.

The Yamaha 824 would fit within your price range after the discount of the US dollar to Loonie dollar exchange rate and the refund of the sales tax back to you at the border crossing station.

The Yamaha 824 is a track drive unit with a Teflon lined chute.

If you have time visit you tube and look for luc gallant and you will see him operating his 824 in heavy snow pack at the end of his driveway killing off the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER and the snow boulders that the plow truck saddled him with. The junior rug rat is cheering him on as his wife is filming the video as he is slaying the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

Last edited by leonz; 10-22-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: stuff/spelling and punctuation corrections
post #4 of 121 Old 10-22-2018, 12:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 37
I have a older Ariens pro 1128, with the battery start. Ive taken care of 3-6 driveways durring larger storms, plus some 500 feet of public sidewalk that gets the snow from the plowes. The pros are just built to run hard all day long. They are great for your lake effect snow belt. Ive only experianced the bucket ride up in very heavy storms at end of driveway. I ran it 8 hours straight during our big February 2013 blizzard of genuine 36" of snow. I was breaking open every neighbors yard that had a leser machine. Hand warmers work great. Just as important has the engine itself.

Id love to demo a rapid track. I had a very old sears craftsman track unit that was underpowered at 5 hp, and was torture to move. My father in lawsn honda track 28" , while smooth running, was a bit underpowered, and the tracks that are geat in big storms, were a hastle in the garage and turning on pavement.

OVERPOWERED is usually Adequate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ariens 1128 Pro, 826 dle, 2 Path pro's
post #5 of 121 Old 10-22-2018, 01:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1028
Likes (Received): 175
"...when compared against the Ariens has a smaller motor, documented clogging issues, no heated hand grips, and what I understand is a slow remote-operating chute (can anyone verify this?). I am looking to keep the price around $2000, if I can with a max of $2500."

Not trying to sway you towards Honda as the Ariens has some really strong points – especially for the money (except for possibly the Hyrdo Pro RapidTrack), but Honda has a fix for any clogging US-built (mid to late 2015 to present) HSS blower with a new chute, and while I like having the motorized chute controls, they are too slow for the way I am used to changing directions with my manual version. I do wish they were faster. I find I have to slow down my snow blowing technique to let the chute direction change keep up. Heated grips would be nice, but not a deal breaker for me.

My 27 year old 8hp HS828 is getting underpowered for the deepest and wettest of snow here, but it has a ton of hours. My GX390 (with bigger jet) is plenty strong for what I throw it into.

I do have to say I really like both of my tracked Honda's...and so do a few of my neighbors who have tried them both.

"...the tracks that are geat in big storms, were a hastle in the garage and turning on pavement."

The tracks on the previous mid to late 2015 Japan-built HS blowers are indeed pretty hard to turn on dry hard surfaces, but the new US-built HSS have trigger release controls that work great and you can turn on a dime with hardly any effort.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) – Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) – Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
post #6 of 121 Old 10-22-2018, 04:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom View Post
"...when compared against the Ariens has a smaller motor, documented clogging issues, no heated hand grips, and what I understand is a slow remote-operating chute (can anyone verify this?). I am looking to keep the price around $2000, if I can with a max of $2500."

"...the tracks that are geat in big storms, were a hastle in the garage and turning on pavement."

The tracks on the previous mid to late 2015 Japan-built HS blowers are indeed pretty hard to turn on dry hard surfaces, but the new US-built HSS have trigger release controls that work great and you can turn on a dime with hardly any effort.
I learned somthing today ! But i still prefer a machine that you can easily move without having to start it up.

OVERPOWERED is usually Adequate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ariens 1128 Pro, 826 dle, 2 Path pro's
post #7 of 121 Old 10-22-2018, 04:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 278
Likes (Received): 146
Hey what about a look at the new Toro Power Max® HD 1428 OHXE Commercial (38843)!

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #8 of 121 Old 10-22-2018, 05:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1028
Likes (Received): 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I learned somthing today ! But i still prefer a machine that you can easily move without having to start it up.
These things move around with ease, unpowered. Lift the bucket up some, pull on the triggers and they move around like nothing I've seen before. Try an HSS1332ATD at a dealer and you'll see. I can't speak for the 928 or 724, but I think they'd even be easier.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) – Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) – Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
post #9 of 121 Old 10-23-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman5150 View Post
Hi All -
I am a first-time poster here, but long-time reader, and am looking for some advice.

I live in Western NY (just outside of Buffalo) and have an OOOLD Honda HS55 that has a dying subtransmission. I played around with it for quite a while, and came to the conclusion that it most likely is in need of some repairs that I am not willing to fund for a 30+ year old machine- parts are scarce too. (adjusted shift cables & rod and also adjustment bolt underneath) I LOVE the tracks on this unit and how much torque/grip this has when removing snow - there is little to no riding up a snowbank due to this design. I have used a few other people's Ariens wheeled units (a platinum 24 and a deluxe 28) and felt that these do not hold the bucket down to the driveway(at times remember lifting up on the handles to compensate) as well as my little hs55.

So because I am looking to upgrade, I would like a 28" as a have a 3-car width driveway, that can take a while to clear with the little HS55. I am currently comparing the Ariens Proessional 28, Ariens Platinum RapidTrack 28 and the Honda HSS928AT. The Pro 28 is a beast, and has lots of nice features, but I am afraid that it (with wheels) will not perform as well as the HS55 did, in keeping it on the pavement. The rapid Track 28 looks very intriguing, but is more $$ than the pro, and am unsure how this new hybrid track system will perform compared to the Honda. The HSS928 is apparently the "Ferrari" (according to a local dealer) and is most similar to what I currently have, but when compared against the Ariens has a smaller motor, documented clogging issues, no heated hand grips, and what I understand is a slow remote-operating chute (can anyone verify this?). I am looking to keep the price around $2000, if I can with a max of $2500. I have seen some talk about the Cub Cadet 3-stage with tracks, which seems a bit gimmicky, as the extra fan would be taking power from the auger, but am interested to hear any thoughts there as well.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and their own experiences. I have all but eliminated the Cub Cadet from the mix, based on the numerous clog issues that are being reported. Living in WNY, we receive wet snow fairly often. So between the Ariens Pro 28 and the HSS 928, does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the Honda having a smaller engine and narrower chute? Does the Honda feel underpowered at all?
post #10 of 121 Old 10-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 82
I would look at the honda. Have the dealer fix the chute prior to delivery and then re jet the carburetor. The wheeled hydro 28 is a great machine until you have to deal with the wheels in heavy snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page