Buying myself a snowblower for Xmas and need advice - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Buying myself a snowblower for Xmas and need advice

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and to snowblowers in general and I am going to buy myself my first two stage snowblower as a Christmas present. I have visited multiple dealers and have been reading about snowblowers for a few weeks now and I would really appreciate the advice of the experts. Here is some basic info.

Location/snow conditions: 25 miles north of Boston, MA. Winters vary wildly but over 100" in a season is possible. The snow conditions vary from dry fluffy stuff to ice and everything in between.

Area to be maintained: I have a 100', one car wide, U shaped driveway with no grade on a busy road and one of the entrances is on the corner of a side street(multiple plows crap at the end of this entrance). There is also a sidewalk in front of my house and the day after the plows are done plowing the street and both of my driveway entrances have been cleared, the town comes by with a large tractor and plows the sidewalks dumping lots of day or more old snow at the EOD. In a worst case scenario, if I happen to be away when a big storm hits I'll get home to a 5' snow drift at the ends of my driveway(when the drift is this high it tends to be lighter snow). I've also had 3' drifts of the nastiest stuff you've ever seen that contains football size chunks of ice.

I have been looking at 28" Honda's and Ariens and have narrowed it down to the following blowers.

Honda: HSS928AW, HSS928AT

Ariens:Professional 28(926065), Professional 28 Hydro EFI(926068), Professional 28 Hydro Rapidtrak(926060)

I'm concerened about the Honda being under powered and also the chute clogging up.
The Ariens Hydro Rapidtrak seems like it might be overkill and the track system is new so I'm leaning away from this.

Even though I don't have a grade I'm worried about the wheels on a wheeled unit slipping when I'm attacking the EOD snowbank, otherwise I'm happy to go with a wheeled units.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 03:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
I知 in Leominster, ma. I have a toro/husq/Ariens dealer right up the street and I went with the husq st230p, biggest I could get for my budget. I知 happy with it so far (driving it around with no snow yet)

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Noma 10/29
Cub cadet 5/26 conv to 8/26
Toro 8/24
Husqvarna st230p
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks snowblowed thanked for this post
post #3 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 04:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 114
i'd be inclined to add toro to the list, the 1028 ohxe power max hd is in the size family of the op's list and should serve him well,
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #4 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 04:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 140
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 290
It’s gonna be a nice Christmas present either way you choose.

People say the HSS928 is underpowered, I wouldn’t say that. The Ariens professional 28” models have an abundance of torque. And will clear more snow faster then the 928. So by comparison the HSS928 looks weak.

The fact is the track HSS928 is superior in operation. It hands down requires less operator effort, But lacks the balls to the wall grunt of the Ariens Pro models.

If you choose the 928, rejet the carb and utilize the new chute design.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 132619 liked this post
post #5 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 04:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 173
Garage
14 ft lbs is borderline weak for north andover with the heavy wet snow they get
1028 toro is under powered for sure its a joke having the 10 in that name its 8.9 hp on its best day
the engine is the most important part of a blower then you go from there imo
buy more power then you need and enjoy
If money is no issue the pro rapid track
if you are going wheels then 28 pro
if you are going with 14 ft lbs get the honda and rejet and get the new chute over the toro
Likes russ01915 liked this post
post #6 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 05:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 14
I have the Hydro Pro 28 EFI. I really have not given it a full test as the snow has been slight so far this year (might get 8" this Wednesday, I hope). I think the blower is excellent and will throw the snow a mile. VERY EASY TO START. The only gripe I have is the tiny fuel tank they put on the EFI's...only two quarts...stupid design for a professional model.
I have not used a track model only wheeled units in my life, my only thought is the weight of the blower on the tire contact patch is higher than that of a track...have always been able to power through.
I think that any of the ones you have listed will work fine.
Robert
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks foggysail, snowblowed thanked for this post
post #7 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 06:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 40
I am not far from the OP here in Ashland, MA so I know first hand typical snow accumulations. The machine I purchased at the end of last year痴 season was an Ariens 28 Pro. My only recommendations to a machine is first related to engine and that is to purchase the largest you can afford on whatever brand one selects. Second, consider no, insist on a machine with some type of wheel/track differential. No need to bust one痴 hump turning a snowblower in today痴 era.

I should also have mentioned is electric start which should be a no brainer
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes russ01915 liked this post
post #8 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 06:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 213
Go big or go home! I'm in Beverly MA and the Ariens Pro 28 is more than able to handle you snow conditions. I talk from experience since I own a hydro.
Likes Ian Ariens 924 liked this post
post #9 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 08:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 18
I work on a lot of different machines makes and models. The new Toro 33woodie mentioned is a nice machine. It has the new easy steer and bigger engine. The commercial heavy duty line upgraded gearcase. Very easy to handle.

New Jersey, Toro 8/24, Ariens 5/22, small engine repairs
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks snowblowed, 132619 thanked for this post
Likes 132619 liked this post
post #10 of 97 Old 12-24-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
It痴 gonna be a nice Christmas present either way you choose.

People say the HSS928 is underpowered, I wouldn稚 say that. The Ariens professional 28 models have an abundance of torque. And will clear more snow faster then the 928. So by comparison the HSS928 looks weak.

The fact is the track HSS928 is superior in operation. It hands down requires less operator effort, But lacks the balls to the wall grunt of the Ariens Pro models.

If you choose the 928, rejet the carb and utilize the new chute design.
Thanks, I was sure I was going to buy the Honda tracked blower until I started reading about the chute problems, I also read that the buckets are not as sturdy as the Ariens bucket and the extr two inches of height on the Ariens would be better for EOD banks. The Honda dealer I talked to also said he only replaces the chute after there has been a problem and due to my EOD accumulation I know I'm going to have a pronblem(this may just be the dealer not wanting to do it unless its necessary). The dealer also told me that I need to have it serviced every year not to void the warranty which adds ~$500 dollars to the purchase price. Factoring that into the price of the blower brings me up to the cost of the Ariens Pro hydro RapidTrack.

The point about operation is important to me as I'm not a big guy and don't want to spend a lot of energy wrestling the snowblower. Do you attribute this to the decreased weight of the Honda vs the Ariens and the two point track or something else?

Also are the tracked units that much better at the EOD banks as this is where I will be spending most of my time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page