getting Snow Off 8 x 16 Deck & pool Surround Better - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-23-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
getting Snow Off 8 x 16 Deck & pool Surround Better

Iím considering an el cheapo electric just for cleaning off the deck . Already have all the other snow gear but the deck just loves to catch the snow shovel every couple feet with either a board end or newly popped nail head. I mean itís constant even with a blunt plastic edged shovel. In short it SSUXXX. Iíve considered grabbing a 🙈 I know theyíre garbage small electric. I donít have to loft it far 6-8í right into the pool or off the side.
Anybody have any great ideas for one that might be of some 🙄small use on a once in a while basis and of course has to toss it out the side and CHEAP as I know full well not to expect much.

Also I wonder if anyone has ever had any luck gluing some sort of blunting onto the edge of their snow shovel.? Something like a slit piece of small flex line.. mine is hard on the decking hard on the shovel and literally hits something every couple feet. And itís not even a scabby warped deck🙈. I donít want it clean to the wood anyways, close is good enough.

2002 Ariens 932-101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 215
You need to countersink all the nails. Either the nails are too short or improper nails. The ones that popped, I would pull and replace with deck screws. You need to predrill the ends of the boards and secure.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tabora, Lunta liked this post
post #3 of 22 Old 01-23-2019, 06:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
I have a Toro Powercurve 1800, it's been great for clearing my deck (with the occasional nail head sticking up a bit, etc). I have bought several, for my parents, in-laws, etc, they are a huge help for small areas, and/or where a big gas machine is not practical. And no concerns about bad gas or anything. I haven't paid more than $50 on Craiglist for any of them. Given my experiences with them, and how they've held up, I'd lean towards a used Toro, vs more money for a new cheaper-brand electric.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296, Freezn liked this post
post #4 of 22 Old 01-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1112
A BIG OLD Leaf Blower works Slick also.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 22 Old 01-23-2019, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
For smaller & fluffy storms, a leaf blower is probably awesome. But I've cleared 18" storms, and probably deeper, all at once with my little Toro. The snow would be coming way over the top of the intake, I'd have to back up and go again to get all of it. It's really impressed me with what it's handled.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 22 Old 01-23-2019, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 135
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ01915 View Post
You need to countersink all the nails. Either the nails are too short or improper nails. The ones that popped, I would pull and replace with deck screws. You need to predrill the ends of the boards and secure.
+1 - I had the same situation, but the prior owner had used a mixture of short nails and untreated sheetrock screws! I finally had enough and pulled off all the decking, flipped it over and put it back on with Torx-head decking screws. And then ran over it all with a belt flooring sander. Problem solved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180308_152716.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	152243  

Last edited by tabora; 01-24-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes russ01915 liked this post
post #7 of 22 Old 01-23-2019, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 215
Good job. Even though it was a lot of work, your problem is solved. Anything with a rubber paddle will clear it easily.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-23-2019, 08:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 122
+1 with using Toro 1800 to clear the deck. Light weight, easy to maneuver, and enough power to clear my 48" tall rails.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
post #9 of 22 Old 01-24-2019, 04:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 53
No idea where you are, or what sort of snow you have.

I use a Makita 36v (2x18v) battery leaf blower to clear all decking, stairs, etc. Yesterday we had some quite "heavy" (as in not light and fluffy) snow, and the leaf blower still cleared a 15cm layer away.

No oil changes needed.
Easy to store.
Useful for front/back porches.
No risk of damage to decking.
You can even use it for leaves
post #10 of 22 Old 01-25-2019, 09:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 5
Now I'm on a quest to find one of these for $50 myself! My deck is 14'x28' and I can't stand shoveling it any more, especially when it has >12" on it. I thought about getting some ramps to get my big blower up there, which I did in 2015 when we kept getting nailed, but if these little guys will do the job, I'm all in. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I have a Toro Powercurve 1800, it's been great for clearing my deck (with the occasional nail head sticking up a bit, etc). I have bought several, for my parents, in-laws, etc, they are a huge help for small areas, and/or where a big gas machine is not practical. And no concerns about bad gas or anything. I haven't paid more than $50 on Craiglist for any of them. Given my experiences with them, and how they've held up, I'd lean towards a used Toro, vs more money for a new cheaper-brand electric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page