Do You Run it every now and then even in times of no snow? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
Do You Run it every now and then even in times of no snow?

I had a no start the other day. It was due to the fact I didn't need the machine for about two months and of course it was a fuel-related issue that caused the no start. So I dropped the carb bowl and cleaned it out with carb cleaner as well as the jet with a little wire. I drained all the fuel and put fresh in the tank. Did use a touch of quick start because it was cold and BOOM! Started strong and purred like a hungry dog on a bone. Now my question is, do you regularly start your machine in times when there is no snow to move just to keep it from gumming up. If so, how frequently do you run it and for how long at a time. Yes I do shut the fuel valve to the off position when I am done and yes I do use a fuel stabilizer - Seafoam. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 04:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
I do periodically, at least when something is coming. We had a storm coming last weekend, so I fired it up a few days prior, just to make sure there'd be no surprises when I needed it. I just ran it for a few minutes, then once again closed the fuel shutoff, and ran the carb dry again.

Of course, hopefully once winter gets going, it's being used often enough because it's actually needed!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 04:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
Garage
April 30 until oct 30 it gets started every 2 months for 5 min until it runs dry refill same amount with stabul run 1 min to get any of the old out of the bowl
That gets me to nov 1st snow season 1st tank gets seafoam as well as stabul
starts 1 pull
used to leave full with stabul that worked as well
also drained end of year with stabul that worked as well
i prefer how i do it now more peace of mind always ready to eat
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes russ01915 liked this post
post #4 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 06:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
Maybe I'm lucky but, I start it in November to bring it from the shed to the garage. Then I only start it every time I plan to use it. At the end of April, I start it to move it back to the shed, then shut the gas off and run it till it quits. Never used any fuel additives. Never had any problems in 30 years of using snow blowers. My last blower I bought new in 1996 and runs good to this day. Knock on wood. I do the same with all my outdoor power equipment.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bearman49709 liked this post
post #5 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 07:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 120
While I do run a preservative (Stabil) I don't generally run them until snow is forecast, then I'll start and run just to check, let it run dry by shutting off fuel and we're good to go. No problems yet.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Only time I run when there isnt snow is during Autumn prep for the upcoming season..
usually in late October or early November..

I do a full maintenance check, lube, grease, oil change, fill with fresh gas, then start it up to test everything out..
then await the first snow, then only start when ready to tackle more snow..

Other than that one time a year, I never do a "test start" any other time..
been 10 years now with the '71 Ariens..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 216
Garage
It's funny, the old Tecumseh's I own, long periods of time not running doesn't seem to affect them as long as I run the fuel out of the carbs when I know I may not start them in awhile. This fall, the HSSK50 had almost 6 month old Sea Foam treated gas in it, maybe 12 ounces...popped right off no problem. Thought I emptied it, evidently didn't. Got lucky.

Since I can easily get 91 octane e-free fuel from the pump, I don't keep much around. Fresh gas is 2 minutes away.

My lawn mowers though (Briggs & Stratton Quantum engines from the 1990's)...the exact same gas, anything longer than a month and they will not want to start. I keep their tanks rather low always as a result.

I always treat my gas with Sea Foam. I never have more than a gallon in reserve, and save the receipt from the convenience store so I know how old the gas in the reserve container is. My container has a cap for the spout...I always use it...no dust, spider webs or bugs are gonna get in there.

Winter if it gets to 6 weeks, it goes into the vehicle and I buy new. Summer, 4 weeks. Yes, I've grown anal about my yard machines' fuel storing. I'm tired of cleaning carbs.

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 09:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Sometimes. This year I still haven't started them yet! Whoops!

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 10:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by strtch5881 View Post
Maybe I'm lucky but, I start it in November to bring it from the shed to the garage. Then I only start it every time I plan to use it. At the end of April, I start it to move it back to the shed, then shut the gas off and run it till it quits. Never used any fuel additives. Never had any problems in 30 years of using snow blowers. My last blower I bought new in 1996 and runs good to this day. Knock on wood. I do the same with all my outdoor power equipment.
I do the same only mine stays in the metal shed year round and I don't shut off the gas and run it dry.
I've done it this way since they started using corn in our gas over 30 years ago for all my gas equipment.
I left gas in my generator for 22 months one time and it started the first pull and ran perfect and I still left it in there until I needed it again some months later and again it was just fine ran the whole tank to power my house then refiled and kept going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page