LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 40
Placing weights on the bucket

First, is Ariens the only machine where even the manufacturer recommends and sell weights to be mounted onto the bucket?

I am going to be away for the next 3 weeks so my Ariens 28 Pro can rest in peace. But when I return, I intend to mount AT LEAST 26# onto the front of the bucket. And that weight is going to be made of lead, no rust. That could be overkill when one thinks of the expensive weight sold by Ariens that is only 10#s or so and is made of steel. Steel rusts, maybe Ariens galvanizes theirs, I just don't know.

Back to bucket weights, anybody have experience with much higher weights being added? I have found 26# lead bricks and am hesitant to add two of them that will bring the front added weight to 52#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 10:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 121
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 247
Likes (Received): 136
I wish I could remember where I read it, but I seen where Ariens only recommends so much
added weight and I think that 52 lbs. was definitely over their recommendation.

When I read it they had what was acceptable for more than one model, or models.

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
I believe I have 25 lbs on my 24" Ariens. I think my Ariens plate is 20, and I added anther 5. Even the extra 5 lbs made a noticeable difference.

My thought would be 52 lbs would be too much. I'd be concerned about damage to the handlebars, if nothing else, given how hard you'd have to push down to raise the bucket. You might eventually crack the handlebars, for instance. You could add something (a cable, metal strapping, etc) going from the bars (up near the handles) to the frame, or to the bucket. So that as you push down, you don't just try to bend the handlebars when pushing down. You'd have something in tension, taking a lot of the load off of the handlebars.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes foggysail liked this post
post #4 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 07:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
So you don't want the weight to rust, what is the rest of the machine made from? I can understand some sort of anti chaffing mat where you bolt it down so corrosion won't set in. Just just paint the weight if you must.

#26 is a lot of weight. Couple that with wet snow glopped all over the bucket and I predict broken handles.

Gilson did offer a weight bar kit for some lightweight models. On others it was integrated it into the build.

Have you sharpened your scraper bar lately? Having a decent edge down there helps if penetrate the snow and then the snow holds the collector down.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes daffyduck73, foggysail liked this post
post #5 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes folks.........I believe your replies that going over 25 will be too much. I read where guys doubled the Ariens' weight bar but I believe that weight bar is only 10#. Those of you who have it can comment on that.

My scrapper bar.... have not adjusted the skids so for the most part, the scrapper is only scrapping snow. I have only used the machine twice since purchasing it new last March.

"#26 is a lot of weight. Couple that with wet snow glopped all over the bucket and I predict broken handles.

I will give that some more thought.

Thanks!!!!
post #6 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I do want to add one comment. Ariens is not bashful in pricing their snowblowers and indeed they do represent fine qualities. So they know before they even ship machines to their dealers that many (all???) should have weight add to the top front of the buckets. They even provided mounting to add additional weight, one that they generously off to buyers for $50+.

IMHO Ariens should either have added weight as a part of the machine or provided free plus shipping to those machines that needed it. Yeah, dream on.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 09:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 62
The Ariens weight bar is painted, so it shouldn't rust any more easily than the bucket it's attached to.

On my Pro 28 I have a single weight bar bolted to the bucket (haven't used it yet since adding this) plus a 30lb battery + tray for the battery start conversion bolted to the back of the bucket (so the weight is back further than the weight bar up front, probably only adds about 15 lbs on the skids, the rest goes is supported by the wheels). The front end is heavy, but not unmanageable to lift with this much weight added. It dug in pretty well with just the battery, should be really good now (less issues with wheelies or climbing while working on the few feet of very steep driveway I've got right at the end). Fortunately, the newer Pro handlebars are very beefy, so damaging / breaking them shouldn't be much of a concern.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 09:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Quote:
I believe that weight bar is only 10#. Those of you who have it can comment on th
Yes that's correct 10#. I added 2 of the kits based upon what I read from knu2xs (thank you), on my 24 sho. I didn't notice much of a difference with 1 so I then added the second. But I did mount one on the bottom and the other on the top with knobs so that I could remove it... but honestly now that I have been using it I don't see a reason that I would want to remove it. So, I may keep it where it is or put both under the bucket. I'm not sure which adds less stress. I flipped the bolt so that the excess is on the top and there is a lock bolt and large fender washer between the 2 weights. That is why there is a gap, but the lock washer is the right height since the middle sits on the Ariens logo. Also, seems to be no difference in autoturn with the weights but I do have ArmorSkids as well.

btw... I don't know why this weight on the top has the additional hole, the bottom only has the single set of holes. But it seems to be begging me to add a light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reference_09_29_22.png
Views:	41
Size:	659.8 KB
ID:	152691  

Last edited by trellis; 01-31-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks knu2xs thanked for this post
post #9 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 09:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Just because they accommodate it doesn't mean they're suggesting it for every user, certainly. It's basically needed if you use a cab, to act as a counterweight. That's why my machine had the Ariens plate originally.

And our driveway has an incline, which exaggerates the problem, when tilting the machine back.

On flat ground, with a bigger heavier bucket than my 24", maybe having extra weight is less important.

Though, Ariens did shift the axle location forward (in 2017?), apparently to make AutoTurn work better. So adding bucket weight also kind of undoes their weight distribution change.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Quote:
On flat ground, with a bigger heavier bucket than my 24", maybe having extra weight is less important.
I think that is probably correct. Not sure if it's due to the repositioning of the axle for autoturn, but the 24 bucket does seem light. And with the heavier engine of the 24 sho this may also be creating the balance issue where the wheels are a perfect pivot, something the track systems or larger buckets would likely avoid. I didn't have this problem with my previous 26" blower, but the first time out with the Ariens 24, I found myself constantly lifting the handlebars to keep it on the ground, which is no longer a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page