LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 215
They don't make them like they use to

82-year-old 'snow blowing granny' goes viral after clearing own driveway in below zero temps

MUSKEGON, Mich. — Marlene Downing is 82 years old and won't let a little — or a lot — of snow stop her. So much so, Downing was out in below zero temperatures Tuesday removing snow from her own driveway, WZZM reports .

"I was waiting for this snow," Downing told WZZM. She said that the cold reminds her of growing up in Harvey, North Dakota, as a youth, adding, "they never shut anything down" in Harvey.

So when temps in Muskegon became frigid she was totally in her element.

"They think I'm crazy," Downing said, referring to her children and grandchildren. They've told her before to stay inside and give up snow blowing, she said, but that obviously hasn't stopped her.

In a now viral Facebook post, Downing is seen removing her own snow. Some are even calling her Muskegon's "snow blowing granny."

According to WZZM , Downing not only loves to snow blow, but also rides her Harley-Davidson in the summer. When she's not able to ride her bike in the winter, snow blowing reminds her of her Harley.

"I think the engine sounds like my Harley," Downing said.

She added that she has put more than 135,000 miles on her bike, and many of those miles were with her dog Pippa riding in the sidecar.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	granny.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	152743  

Last edited by russ01915; 02-01-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
Likes Grunt, db130 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2019, 09:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 216
Garage
To paraphrase what the school superintendent said about my mother at her retirement dinner (she taught in the CR school system for 40 years)...

"Marlene's a tough old bird".

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 190
Likes (Received): 75
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ01915 View Post
82-year-old 'snow blowing granny' goes viral after clearing own driveway in below zero temps

MUSKEGON, Mich. Marlene Downing is 82 years old and won't let a little or a lot of snow stop her. So much so, Downing was out in below zero temperatures Tuesday removing snow from her own driveway, WZZM reports .

"I was waiting for this snow," Downing told WZZM. She said that the cold reminds her of growing up in Harvey, North Dakota, as a youth, adding, "they never shut anything down" in Harvey.

So when temps in Muskegon became frigid she was totally in her element.

"They think I'm crazy," Downing said, referring to her children and grandchildren. They've told her before to stay inside and give up snow blowing, she said, but that obviously hasn't stopped her.

In a now viral Facebook post, Downing is seen removing her own snow. Some are even calling her Muskegon's "snow blowing granny."

According to WZZM , Downing not only loves to snow blow, but also rides her Harley-Davidson in the summer. When she's not able to ride her bike in the winter, snow blowing reminds her of her Harley.

"I think the engine sounds like my Harley," Downing said.

She added that she has put more than 135,000 miles on her bike, and many of those miles were with her dog Pippa riding in the sidecar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTxRuXmv2rU
Thanks for sharing

2011 Simplicity P1728EX Signature Pro 342cc 11hp (at my house)
2014 Yamaha YT1070 (YT1028) 296cc 9.5 hp (at the cabin)
post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 945
Likes (Received): 1026
Garage
that generation is probably gonna be the toughest this country will ever see.

my Dad could still kick my ass at age 87 .

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2019, 03:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 40
Garage
Reading this article reminds me of my grand pa, who doesn't live to far from there. He's in his 80's, and every year he drags out the blower attachment for his John Deere. Although I think he only sticks to his driveway in years past he would go around the corner to my parent's house dressed in his orange cammo coverall and blow the end of the driveway and clear out the mailbox. I think it's a combo of what's in the water, and the stubborn old Dutch farmer mentality that keeps a lot of people in that area going.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-01-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 215
I love that story. God bless her, I hope she has many more years to snow blow and ride her Harley. My neighbors aren't as lucky so I help out my neighbor next to me (84) and across the street (92). Surprisingly, the 92 year old still works in her yard, goes for walks, and still drives. She's an amazing woman. Me and my wife make it our mission to take care of them. We send over hot meals and stop in to have coffee with them. I almost forgot, snow blow and shovel them out.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jrom thanked for this post
Likes jrom, SnowH8ter liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page