LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-05-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
SINGLE STAGE Self Propelled ????

I have read many articles about how all the companies try different tactics or new features to try to grab market share of business. One of which was making 2 stage machines that had no throttle control making it more user friendly, like the smaller single stages were.

If this is true then why hasn't any MFG that makes the nice small single stages put a driven axle on one that is still small enough to use where a big 2 stage is totally clumsy and awkward., and again for market share I know many people that would use one that took the push effort out and lose the auger drive BS that puts more strain on a persons back than a 2 stage does.

I have a brand new simplicity SS922EX that was purchased for $793.00 in 2015 and was used 2 times. The lady that sold it in a yard sale for $35.00 Said it was a beast to push and pull and she couldnt use it.

I am even looking at a rechargable drill conversion to make it propelled. I love the size but cant take the abuse on the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-05-2019, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Single stage snowblowers are meant to be "self propelled"..just not with driven wheels.
the auger itself is supposed to just touch the ground, and propel the machine forward as it spins..
Simplicity says for this model:

Quote:
Auger-Assisted Drive System
Keeps rotor in constant contact with pavement
Helps you move the snow blower forward with little effort
Increases speed and cleans clear to the surface.
https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Si...wer/p8717.html

I dont really know how much help it actually provides though..
But if the augers werent touching the ground properly, it wouldn't be helping at all..
in which case the operator would have to push the machine forward with a lot more effort..

Is it possible in this case the augers are too high? perhaps not properly adjusted when new?

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 PM
evh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 13
To make the single stage self propelled, simply tilt forward. I have used many single stages for over 35 years, they all work this way. I have a steep incline at the end of my driveway that gets very slippery. Tilt forward, up I go.

One thing I have learned is that living richly is less about the net worth on your bank statement and more about the value of the lessons you offer those who want to learn from you.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-05-2019, 08:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Wow, that's an awesome score for $35!! Congrats. I have limited SS experience so far, but from what I've seen, if you lift the handles enough, you may have to hold it *back*, rather than pushing it forward. Am I missing something? I haven't gotten to use mine in deep snow yet. Maybe you have to push more in deeper/denser snow than I've experienced.

Regardless, Toro has machines that do what you're describing. They put their Personal Pace variable-self-propelling system on their Snowmaster rubber-paddled single-stage blowers:

https://www.toro.com/snowmaster

They sound like a pretty cool bridge between SS and 2-stage. They've been on the market for a few years, but I haven't seen a whole lot of discussion about them.

As long as the transmissions hold up, they seem like they should still be pretty "tossable", like a normal SS, but with some extra help in getting themselves around. Unlike a 2-stage, there's no changing gears, clutching, etc, so I'd imagine they're pretty quick for maneuvering back and forth, when a 2-stage becomes fairly clumsy.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 16 Old 02-05-2019, 08:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
I have read many articles about how all the companies try different tactics or new features to try to grab market share of business. One of which was making 2 stage machines that had no throttle control making it more user friendly, like the smaller single stages were.

If this is true then why hasn't any MFG that makes the nice small single stages put a driven axle on one that is still small enough to use where a big 2 stage is totally clumsy and awkward., and again for market share I know many people that would use one that took the push effort out and lose the auger drive BS that puts more strain on a persons back than a 2 stage does.

I have a brand new simplicity SS922EX that was purchased for $793.00 in 2015 and was used 2 times. The lady that sold it in a yard sale for $35.00 Said it was a beast to push and pull and she couldnt use it.

I am even looking at a rechargeable drill conversion to make it propelled. I love the size but cant take the abuse on the back.
Any of those 22" Simplicity/Snapper/Brute/Briggs and stratton snow blowers are hard to push. I use one, and they are a beast to us. I have a Toro powerclear, and it is awesome.

2015 Toro Power Clear 721 R-C

Find me on MyTractorForum and MyLawnMowerForum!
Same username.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #6 of 16 Old 02-06-2019, 06:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnToro View Post
Any of those 22" Simplicity/Snapper/Brute/Briggs and stratton snow blowers are hard to push. I use one, and they are a beast to us.
Interesting. Any thoughts on why those models are tougher to handle?

Can they not pull themselves forward as effectively as other machines? If so, why would that be? Do the paddles not hit the ground firmly enough? Or do their scraper bars drag too hard on the ground, something like that?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 16 Old 02-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Interesting. Any thoughts on why those models are tougher to handle?

Can they not pull themselves forward as effectively as other machines? If so, why would that be? Do the paddles not hit the ground firmly enough? Or do their scraper bars drag too hard on the ground, something like that?
From what I see, the scraper bar is too large for the paddles. Even when there is only an inch or two of fluff, it is still hard to push. The paddles don't make sufficient contact with the ground. If I try to tilt up on it, snow kicks out from under the scraper bar. Plus, mine is gutless. Can't do the end of the driveway.

2015 Toro Power Clear 721 R-C

Find me on MyTractorForum and MyLawnMowerForum!
Same username.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-06-2019, 08:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
The Toro Personal Pace lawnmower is terrific!!! I have demo on fry ground the Toro Personal Pace snowblower, same, terrific. I would think in dry snow it would be awesome.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #9 of 16 Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
LawbToro, that's too bad. The big Briggs-made machines (1222?) seem like the most powerful SS on the market, at 250cc.

The only other SS-style machine in that power range that I can think of is the Toro 824 SnowMaster, at 252cc. But it's not as mechanically simple as a traditional SS, if that was a consideration.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 02-06-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-06-2019, 09:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 157
The single stage units have been much improved in the last forty years of my owning them. If I was not in bind for needing a snow thrower when the first two ended up in the snow blower hospital I would have 4 of them and I should have said firmly " I WANT THEM REPAIRED" and I will buy a new one in the mean time. So I relented and bought a new one and they went to the scrap pile (((((((.

I would have 4 of them in the stable barking and howling and scratching at the garage door to get out and run around and throwing snow or dead grass at each other.
They get really get muddy when they chase each down in to the drainage ditch trying to catch the grey squirrels when trying to get rid of them by throwing water at them.

I certainly can see Toro building a higher horsepower single stage with the rubber paddles as using the power curve paddle design eliminates the need to build a solid steel cross auger that would weigh more in a push type single stage.

It takes a while to get rid of the "END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER" with a single stage due to the compaction and the fools using too much salt. In this case taking small bites and using fluid film helps a huge amount when getting rid of the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER and feeding the moat monsters with its remains.

A heavy single stage walk behind unit on tracks would sell especially if it had a 12 horse engine and 24 inches wide as a 13 inch diameter solid cross auger would be a real workhorse with a tall chute and spout. If the cross auger had a 4 inch solid tube with
a 4 1/2 inch deep solid ribbon with a 3 inch separation between the auger flights with 4 center paddles would be a kick butt snow blower for commercial use that would also have zero issues for homeowner use. I doubt we will see this type of snow thrower as it will cost more to make and the price would be higher. It would out perform any two stage but it would cost more to buy BUT IT would never have the issues a 2 stage does with a low speed worm to spur gear drive for the cross auger and the snow would not be pushed forward by the cross auger as it would pull it all in and throw it with no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page