LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Question Decisions...

I recently bought a 2004 Murray "Brute" for a very reasonable price which I'm planning to restore once winter's over. I found a place to have the original decals reproduced so it'll look original when I'm done. I must say that I'm pretty "anal" about little details… Even though I'm 67 y/o and that my Brute works fine and that I can afford to restore it to "new" condition, I happened to go to a local hardware store a few days ago and saw the Husqvarna's and fell in love with them. Since that day I've been wondering if I should keep my original plan to invest a little and restore the Brute or sell it and get my "dream machine" the Husqvarna model ST330T ? At 67, it's very likely that it would be the last one I'd ever buy…
What would you guys do? (Please don't suggest to go with a Honda, Ariens or Toro… --> The choice is to keep (and restore) the Brute or go with the ST330T)
Thanks for your suggestions,

Claude.

2014 HUSQVARNA ST327T
2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
1975 LAWN BOY 8HP 26"

Last edited by toofastforyou; 02-07-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 547
Murray is out of the snowblower business, and as much as I like them, I'm not sure of parts availability....I've had issues locating parts for near new Husqvarnas, and the ones I've played with didn't grab me. That said I would restore the Murray, and if it breaks, try and source parts used...and if you really want a new blower, buy what you like and keep the Murray as a backup.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard, Bondo 287 liked this post
post #3 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 05:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 29
I would restore the Brute. It's easy to find parts. It's built heavier. It doesn't get twisted up when you scoop up a frozen sock that the dog was playing with. It's a simple design. It will last another 25 years if you take care of it. If you like orange, repaint it. Then it will be your first custom.
I work on other peoples' machines and all I can say is, newer is not better!
Mine is a 1996 model and it will go another 20 years.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #4 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
Murray is out of the snowblower business, and as much as I like them, I'm not sure of parts availability....I've had issues locating parts for near new Husqvarnas, and the ones I've played with didn't grab me. That said I would restore the Murray, and if it breaks, try and source parts used...and if you really want a new blower, buy what you like and keep the Murray as a backup.
It's easy to find parts. Look up the ipl for the machine, find your nla part number and google it. Most of the nla parts are made aftermarket.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cranman thanked for this post
post #5 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
I'm pretty familiar with that Murray design (I picked up a similar "Noma" brand one last April, brought it back to operating condition, and then sold it in December).

Murray milked that design for all its worth, sold it under many many many different brands for a really long time:

Brute/White/Noma/Husqvarna/North Star/Ultra

(I'm probably missing a few others)

I do agree that it was a pretty robust design. I would keep it. There must be thousands of them out there to pick parts from. The only thing I didn't like were the handlebar grips (cheap flimsy rubber ones), but I was able to snag a much nicer pair from an 80s Bolens parts machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 07:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
Decisions...

I had a Noma 10/29 and loved it until the auger cable was no longer avail, so after I had it rigged so the auger stayed on constantly for 2 years, I removed the motor and scraped the rest. Then I bought a husky st230p.

Noma 10/29
Cub cadet 5/26 conv to 8/26
Toro 8/24
Husqvarna st230p
post #7 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
I like the Husqvarna 300 series. the issue I keep reading on this forum is buying parts as they get older. Have you checked this out?.

Last edited by AL-; 02-06-2019 at 07:27 PM.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Thank you guys for your replies… I haven't taken any decision yet… I just saw a used 2014 Husqvarna model ST330T for sale at $2,250. (cdn $)… Does that look reasonable? I messaged the seller about an hour ago saying that I "might" be interested and asked a few questions but I haven't got a reply yet…
I also plan to visit a dealer to see how much brand new ones go for around here… It'll give me an idea and I'll be able to compare with the price the guy is asking for his used 2014.

Claude.

2014 HUSQVARNA ST327T
2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
1975 LAWN BOY 8HP 26"
post #9 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
I haven’t. I might buy a set of cables for the future tho

Noma 10/29
Cub cadet 5/26 conv to 8/26
Toro 8/24
Husqvarna st230p
post #10 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
What would you guys do? (Please don't suggest to go with a Honda, Ariens or Toro… --> The choice is to keep (and restore) the Brute or go with the ST330T)
Thanks for your suggestions,

Claude.
Well, I'm 68 so I can understand the perspective (I think). Since you're torn, and it sounds like money isn't an issue, or at least not a major one, I'd buy the ST330T AND restore the Brute. This sounds like one of the few times in life you'll have the chance to "have your cake and eat it too".

And then when it snows you'll have to decide which toy to play with. First world problem.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes PaulMys liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page