Rant Post About Negligent Snowblower Owners - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 636
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 939
Likes (Received): 1017
Garage
Rant Post About Negligent Snowblower Owners

sorry , but I have to get this off my chest.

We have had big snow in the last couple weeks and recently days in the single digits and I like helping people in need but lately it is becoming ridiculous.

Some people ........a neighbor of mine blew a drive belt on a 25 year old Honda HS828. He asks me to replace. He has no garage , it's snowing , and the wind chill is around ZERO!. I asked him when was the last time he serviced his blower and he responds " like never?" ( actual quote )

This is just one story.I have others but I'm sure I am not alone.

Yes, I understand . Am sure some of you will tell me I should just walk away from people like this and not help them. It's just frustrating because 95% of the problems I see is because of NEGLECT and ABUSE.

I guess this is the bread and butter for small engine techs but like my mother use to say " no good deed goes unpunished " .

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 10:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
sorry , but I have to get this off my chest.

We have had big snow in the last couple weeks and recently days in the single digits and I like helping people in need but lately it is becoming ridiculous.

Some people ........a neighbor of mine blew a drive belt on a 25 year old Honda HS828. He asks me to replace. He has no garage , it's snowing , and the wind chill is around ZERO!. I asked him when was the last time he serviced his blower and he responds " like never?" ( actual quote )

This is just one story.I have others but I'm sure I am not alone.

Yes, I understand . Am sure some of you will tell me I should just walk away from people like this and not help them. It's just frustrating because 95% of the problems I see is because of NEGLECT and ABUSE.

I guess this is the bread and butter for small engine techs but like my mother use to say " no good deed goes unpunished " .

OK, I have a HONDA HS828 of approximately the same vintage; bot previously owned 20 years ago. It goes back to a top shelf dealer for tune-up, lubrication and general service every 3-4 years. I change the engine oil every year. It has been a strong machine wo/ any major issues for a very long time. And running strong this year too.

So, when is the drive belt on a HS828 due for replacement ??
post #3 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
The newer generation is basically helpless. They don't own a shovel or a rake. They don't do anything for themselves. There are hordes of landscapers all over. Not much do it yourself. So I guess the net income is lower than we would think. Yeah they are dependent.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #4 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 10:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 190
Likes (Received): 75
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Bumpo View Post
OK, I have a HONDA HS828 of approximately the same vintage; bot previously owned 20 years ago. It goes back to a top shelf dealer for tune-up, lubrication and general service every 3-4 years. I change the engine oil every year. It has been a strong machine wo/ any major issues for a very long time. And running strong this year too.

Last year perhaps? Why not change belts every 3-4 years when the machine is serviced?

Yesterday I had to loan my Simplicity to a neighbor that has a very troublesome Toro 826. People do not care about their machines at all.

2011 Simplicity P1728EX Signature Pro 342cc 11hp (at my house)
2014 Yamaha YT1070 (YT1028) 296cc 9.5 hp (at the cabin)

Last edited by Dag Johnsen; 02-08-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #5 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
I joined a in-town group in Facebook and posted that I do house calls for snowblower maintenance. $20 per call +parts/materials. Working out great for me, a couple jobs a week, cash in pocket. Shmucks that wait till snow is a day away and it wonít start and they call a shop thatís booked weeks out.

Noma 10/29
Cub cadet 5/26 conv to 8/26
Toro 8/24
Husqvarna st230p
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks foggysail thanked for this post
post #6 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Johnsen View Post
Last year perhaps? Why not change belts every 3-4 years when the machine is serviced?

Yesterday I had to loan my Simplicity to a neighbor that has a very troublesome Toro 826. People do not care about their machines at all.
Believe me you are leaving yourself open for a lawsuit.If you do not have the time to do his driveway Tell him to get someone who is insured.Never lend out power equipment.I almost got it good one time.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #7 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Bumpo View Post

just inspect it periodically for cuts and defects.

post #8 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
I joined a in-town group in Facebook and posted that I do house calls for snowblower maintenance. $20 per call +parts/materials. Working out great for me, a couple jobs a week, cash in pocket. Shmucks that wait till snow is a day away and it wonít start and they call a shop thatís booked weeks out.

Noma 10/29
Cub cadet 5/26 conv to 8/26
Toro 8/24
Husqvarna st230p
good for you. i bet you know what I am talking about. it just makes me shake my head though.

post #9 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylumps View Post
Believe me you are leaving yourself open for a lawsuit.If you do not have the time to do his driveway Tell him to get someone who is insured.Never lend out power equipment.I almost got it good one time.
you're right. it's sad we have to think this way anymore just trying to help a neighbor out. my wife told me to stop helping people or have them sign a release of liability form and a receipt.

I guess I'll just have to stop selling and helping.

post #10 of 45 Old 02-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 216
Garage
I tend to help people that help themselves. I am also "that guy" that friends know that although I may not necessarily know how something works as far as specifics or training/experience in it - they also know I know how to research just about anything and can give an honest opinion what needs to be done. Or more accurately, "this is what I would do if I were in your shoes" type stuff.

However, I've helped friends with fixing their plumbing, electrical, electronics/computers, vehicles, boats, home repair, outdoor power equipment, etc. Generally speaking, those I actually "did work for them" - I did so because of the type of people they were. I knew them well and I knew they weren't asking me to take advantage of me. They genuinely both needed help, and it was something usually not terribly involved nor complex for me. In every case, I knew it very well and they didn't.

I've helped "strangers" in the past...neighbors mostly. But generally, never anything that actually needed much more than advice.

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page