Under an ďadvisoryĒ for the night and into tomorrow... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 49
Likes (Received): 9
Under an ďadvisoryĒ for the night and into tomorrow...

...this will be my first chance to try to work some snow after finishing up my impeller clearance mod. The rubbers are still rubbing the housing a bit even after running it dry for about 5 minutes to run them in.

Iím hoping that the torque thatís being robbed to spin the impeller now isnít enough to where it will outweigh what Iíll gain from the extra sling.

Also worried that with this wet snow Iíll somehow damage the plastic chute. Anyone know if there are any bolt on metal replacements for my machine?

1999 MTD E662E 24Ē with 10HP Tecumseh Engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 03:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowslinger View Post
Also worried that with this wet snow Iíll somehow damage the plastic chute. Anyone know if there are any bolt on metal replacements for my machine?

I'm thinking that your chute is pretty much similar to that which is affixed to my old Mastercraft (MTD). Fear not! The one on my Mastercraft has been to HE double L and back and is none the worse for wear. They're tough chutes! I've beat it senseless, knocking off snow and ice, at temperatures between -20 and -30c and it just bounces back for more.

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Snowslinger thanked for this post
post #3 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
I doubt there's a bolt-on chute. And I wouldn't worry about it. I had a '94 MTD with a plastic chute, it was almost 20 years old when I sold it, the chute was fine. It sounded kinda scary when ice went through it, but it never cracked.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Snowslinger liked this post
post #4 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 08:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 122
Red'

Looks like the forecast for your area which is a bit north of where I am, is indicating 3 to 6 inches Tues. through Wed, while here on the South Shore, they have backpedaled, and reduced the original forecast to a sloppy 1 to 3 inches of mixed snow, sleet, and rain. To be honest, I'd sooner have the 6 inches of dry snow rather than another "slop storm", especially if the timing is bad, and the EOD driveway stuff has a chance to freeze up overnight.

On the positive side, it may finally give me a chance to test out the smallest machine in the arsenal, which is a Toro Power-Lite I fished out of someone's trash almost a year ago, and got running again. If it works, it's really the perfect machine for the kind of nuisance mess we're supposed to get.

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
post #5 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 33
What material did you use for the impeller mod?

I’ve always used a material that’s a rubber compound and had them seated in just a a minute or two.

Are the installed securely enough that they aren’t moving towards the impeller housing at full rpm?

Ariens ST1032 924084 (ST1232)
MODS: Tecumseh OHSK120 12hp, 3" Pulley, 6 Blade Impeller Kit, Hand Warmers w/ on-off switch, 1700 Lumen LED bulb,Front Weight Bar 18.5lbs, Chute Clean Out Tool, Tire Chains, Drift Cutters, Armorskids
Likes Snowslinger liked this post
post #6 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 08:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Nice, good luck with the little Toro! The news this morning was showing us on the 3-6 and 6-8 border. I'd rather it stay as snow. Like you, I also have a "new" Toro SS that I'm hoping to try for the first time. Just hoping I can get the carb running a little better first.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 09:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Quote:
...this will be my first chance to try to work some snow after finishing up my impeller clearance mod. The rubbers are still rubbing the housing a bit even after running it dry for about 5 minutes to run them in.

Iím hoping that the torque thatís being robbed to spin the impeller now isnít enough to where it will outweigh what Iíll gain from the extra sling.

I've read where guys cut the holes oblong so there's room for adjustment. I plan on doing it that way in the near future. Then if they're too tight, readjust. If they're worn down, readjust.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Peace & All Good!

Honda 2015 HS928K1WA 28"
"She's a beaut, Clark! A beaut!"
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #8 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 5
Where on the South Shore? I'm in Hanover. Like you said, I'd rather a foot of snow than 1-3 of wet cement. I guess this is my chance to try out the electric Power Curve on the deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSnow View Post
Red'

Looks like the forecast for your area which is a bit north of where I am, is indicating 3 to 6 inches Tues. through Wed, while here on the South Shore, they have backpedaled, and reduced the original forecast to a sloppy 1 to 3 inches of mixed snow, sleet, and rain. To be honest, I'd sooner have the 6 inches of dry snow rather than another "slop storm", especially if the timing is bad, and the EOD driveway stuff has a chance to freeze up overnight.

On the positive side, it may finally give me a chance to test out the smallest machine in the arsenal, which is a Toro Power-Lite I fished out of someone's trash almost a year ago, and got running again. If it works, it's really the perfect machine for the kind of nuisance mess we're supposed to get.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
post #9 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 200
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 551
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:

Snowslinger if you are concerned they are too tight, you could always take them off and readjust them to just touching the impeller housing. I know that is some extra work but it will give you peace of mind or you could just take the chute off again and manually position each impeller blade to the top of the chute opening a try to file them down individually or use a Dremel tool to remove some extra material. You will be getting the auger box and impeller housing wet when you use it so that will provide some slickness on the mod you did. I wouldn't worry about the plastic housing - my Craftsman is doing fine after about 8 seasons.

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #10 of 19 Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Well, depending on what station and weatherperson you listen to, they're predicting another 5"-8" around here tonight. We've had around 10" so far this month. Just went out this morning to move some of the built up snow to be able to get the truck in and out of the area I park it in out back.

As far as your snow and wanting to check your impeller mod, you're more than welcome to any and all they're predicting for here ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page