Ariens 926le bogs down in 1foot of snow... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 142 Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens 926le bogs down in 1foot of snow...

Hi Folks!

So, I just put the dual belt upgrade kit on my Ariens and was pumped to attack the foot of wet snow I got today. Well, it was frustrating. 1st gear the whole time, Barley could cut half the intake width. The machine never died but it had serious issues with the 2 feet at the end of the driveway. I am limited to ethanol fuel, and think that has something to do with it. Or am I just expecting too much out of the machine.

First, a side note which I think will help, if I don't shut the fuel line off, gas fills the carb and leaks into the oil. I had Grey oil once.

So, clean the carb? Use a stable in the fuel? The gas is 1 month old. I used to clean carbs all the time. But time is limited now with kids. Buy a new carb? A knock off? Or governor adjustment? Or buy a shovel?

Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 3
Grey oil is a sign of water in the oil not gas, if it’s really milky I’d suggest an oil change, if your carbs filling up with gas and I’m assuming over flowing, your float in carb bowl could be stuck, but I can’t see gas getting into motor from carb.

Last edited by 99698; 02-12-2019 at 11:45 PM.
post #3 of 142 Old 02-13-2019, 03:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Doyle View Post
I am limited to ethanol fuel, and think that has something to do with it. The gas is 1 month old.

I've been running ethanol blended fuel through snow blowers for well over 20 yrs. The oxygenate, per se, is probably not the issue. If you add ethanol to crappy gas, you still have crappy gas. Drain the beast and source an alternate fuel supply.

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes paulm12 liked this post
post #4 of 142 Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 33
Was your machine bogging down before the dual belt upgrade?

Is the engine bogging, audible drop in RPM, or is the impeller bogging, throwing distance shortended but engine RPM high?

If the engine RPM is low under load, you may need to check the governor spring for a bent loop, change spark plug, or clean/rebuild carb.
If RPM is high but throwing distance decreases under load then you need to tension the belts properly.

https://youtu.be/u1gRG3-QZ9c

Ariens ST1032 924084 (ST1232)
MODS: Tecumseh OHSK120 12hp, 3" Pulley, 6 Blade Impeller Kit, Hand Warmers w/ on-off switch, 1700 Lumen LED bulb,Front Weight Bar 18.5lbs, Chute Clean Out Tool, Tire Chains, Drift Cutters, Armorskids
Likes russ01915 liked this post
post #5 of 142 Old 02-13-2019, 06:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 13
If the float doesn't have a hole in it filling it with fuel then your needle isn't sealing against the rubber seat. Put in a Tecumseh rebuild kit. To check the float, just shake it to see if there is fuel in it. if so, replace it. Fuel in the float will weigh it down so it never reaches the seat to seal off the fuel. Both these items would cause spitting out of fuel out the carb.
post #6 of 142 Old 02-13-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Was your machine bogging down before the dual belt upgrade?

Is the engine bogging, audible drop in RPM, or is the impeller bogging, throwing distance shortended but engine RPM high?

If the engine RPM is low under load, you may need to check the governor spring for a bent loop, change spark plug, or clean/rebuild carb.
If RPM is high but throwing distance decreases under load then you need to tension the belts properly.

https://youtu.be/u1gRG3-QZ9c
I only used it in powder snow before the upgrade.

It loses rpm or engine power under load. Head light dims, doesn't throw snow as far. Should I check the governor while under load to see if it is moving correctly?
post #7 of 142 Old 02-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Doyle View Post
I only used it in powder snow before the upgrade.

It loses rpm or engine power under load. Head light dims, doesn't throw snow as far. Should I check the governor while under load to see if it is moving correctly?
I would make sure to check this on your carb before doing anything.

If this doesn't work you will need to rebuild your carb and install a new float because the float is not bringing the needle up to seal the bowl. A brand new carb is an option if you want a fast fix and then rebuild the carb later when you have time - then you'll have a backup for the future.

I don't think it's necessary to have it running. You simply want to check and see if the spring loops are evenly spaced and not bent or damaged when under tension. Also, some of the springs on older machines loose their tension and need to be replaced or fixed by cutting off one loop on the end and reinstalling. I would only do this after you solve the leaking carb issue.

Picture attached so you can see how a governor spring should look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f930701cebb87f0d8a6c161a981c2857.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	153437  

MODS: Tecumseh OHSK120 12hp, 3" Pulley, 6 Blade Impeller Kit, Hand Warmers w/ on-off switch, 1700 Lumen LED bulb,Front Weight Bar 18.5lbs, Chute Clean Out Tool, Tire Chains, Drift Cutters, Armorskids
post #8 of 142 Old 02-13-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I would make sure to check this on your carb before doing anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cYXlloqwi8

If this doesn't work you will need to rebuild your carb and install a new float because the float is not bringing the needle up to seal the bowl. A brand new carb is an option if you want a fast fix and then rebuild the carb later when you have time - then you'll have a backup for the future.

I don't think it's necessary to have it running. You simply want to check and see if the spring loops are evenly spaced and not bent or damaged when under tension. Also, some of the springs on older machines loose their tension and need to be replaced or fixed by cutting off one loop on the end and reinstalling. I would only do this after you solve the leaking carb issue.

Picture attached so you can see how a governor spring should look.
Thanks for the video and picture!

I may for time saving sake just buy a ...GASP...aftermarket carb, i was looking at these two, but not sure which would be closer to OEM and or more reliable. FYI the second is the amazon link, it may look like an ad but its a link.

https://www.everestpartssupplies.com...retor-w-primer

post #9 of 142 Old 02-13-2019, 06:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I’ve used plenty of parts from Oregon and haven’t had a problem yet.

I’m also a big fan of amazon even though they are taking over the world.

Never hear of that other website or parts manufacturer before.

Good luck!

post #10 of 142 Old 02-13-2019, 07:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 14
The blower bogs down, What do you have for an engine? how big is the bucket? A foot of snow WILL bog down a blower, My 10 hp 28" works to throw a foot of damp snow. Before you start looking at mechanical or fuel problems look at the basics first.

If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad that no one else can either!
Likes russ01915 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page