safety question > pull key or pull spark plug boot... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
safety question > pull key or pull spark plug boot...

Manuals seem to give different answers before servicing... sometimes they say turn off and pull the key, and sometimes pull the spark plug boot.

What's the best practice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 03:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
Spark plug boot would be all end all

Noma 10/29
Cub cadet 5/26 conv to 8/26
Toro 8/24
Husqvarna st230p
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks trellis thanked for this post
post #3 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellis View Post
Manuals seem to give different answers before servicing... sometimes they say turn off and pull the key, and sometimes pull the spark plug boot.

What's the best practice?

BOTH! Also when I had surgery on my hand and had to attend a hand clinic..... the Occupational Therapist told me they get a lot of injuries to hands when people jam, clog...their blowers. They turn off the key and proceed to use their hands to clear the jam. All of a sudden the thing turns and a hand is hurt. Reason: Built up or stored kinetic energy via the jammed belts. Use a stick first to see if it will turn.

Better to be safe!
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh, Snowslinger thanked for this post
Likes RedOctobyr, orangputeh liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
Someone is going to jump on my head for this, but I have never felt the need to pull the plug boot when working in the front end. Throttle off grounds out the ignition, as does key off. Clutch out means no physical connection between the blower and the engine, and if you run it dry as well, even better. I've had plug boots tear off before, which *WILL* take you down, so don't feel the need to be that paranoid . . . *MYSELF* . . .
post #5 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
>Clutch out means no physical connection between the blower and the engine

I wasn't even thinking about that...

I remember another warning, possibly in a 3rd party skid instructions that mentioned removing the plug incase there was any residual compression... is that possible?

Even though the boot on the Ariens 24sho is nice and sturdy, the cable attached is too short. I can get it off but I am concerned with yanking on that cable too much. I should really pull the shroud that includes the key, primer etc. to avoid any damage and for random maintenance that would be a pain. But breaking a hand would also be a pain... so I appreciate all the opinions.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 06:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 27
Getting to the spark plug on these Briggs 420cc engines like on my Pro 32 is a pain in the butt. Several knobs must be removed, then the plastic cover, etc. If it were easier, I would definitely pull the wire.

As it is, I make sure the key is in the off position and the clutch obviously disengaged. Still have both hands. This is for basic/routine maintenance, not after clogged augers, etc.

Ariens Pro 32 Hydro Rapidtrak
post #7 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron3033 View Post
BOTH! Also when I had surgery on my hand and had to attend a hand clinic..... the Occupational Therapist told me they get a lot of injuries to hands when people jam, clog...their blowers. They turn off the key and proceed to use their hands to clear the jam. All of a sudden the thing turns and a hand is hurt. Reason: Built up or stored kinetic energy via the jammed belts. Use a stick first to see if it will turn.
I have heard this before too, and was a bit surprised at it. But when I search on "injured hand in snow blower" I got a lot of hits for articles on how that happens. Man, that'll ruin anyone's day!

There's a good reason so many manufacturers put that little shovel/cleaning out thingy on the bucket. When your customers lose their hands they don't buy any more snow blowers....

Quote:
The US Consumer Products Safety Commission (USCPSC) reports that snow blower operators suffer more than 500 amputations and over 5000 emergency room visits. The vast majority of these injuries occur while trying to clear snow and ice jams from the collection auger or discharge chute.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It’s interesting how many times the statement “pull the spark plug” can be found in the manual...

It seems that if it’s that important it should be designed to be easily removed on a snowblower. Most of my other OPE plugs are easy to pull and yet there is less need to pull them on those tools.

I need to pull the shroud off that hides the spark plug cable, maybe there is additional cable that can be freed up.

And to add to the previous CPSC report, here’s an investigation into 30,000 snowblower injuries:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/busi...664.html?amp=y

Last edited by trellis; 02-13-2019 at 10:55 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 11:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
The lawyers likely wrote that part of the manual to avoid liability . . .
post #10 of 14 Old 02-14-2019, 03:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
The lawyers likely wrote that part of the manual to avoid liability . . .

The litigation hungry culture. Everything and anything untoward that happens to me is... somebody else's fault! And the so-called legal defense teams are perpetually circling, just waiting for someone to do something really stoopid.

Notwithstanding, the only time I remove the high tension lead (boot) from the spark plug, is when I'm removing the spark plug.

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page