LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Should Shear Pins be a consideration?

The situation is that here on the southern tip of Vancouver Island in BC we don't normally get a lot of snow, if any, during the winter....rain is another story.

That said, this past week was apocalyptic for us and after day 3 of shoveling my driveway, walks and deck it was getting old. Enter my neighbor who rode down my driveway on his JD sit down mower with a blower attachment on the front making it look like something out of a Mad Max sequel.

Watching him get rid of the snow left me awe struck. My wife said that she didn't care how often we get snow, she wants me to get one so she doesn't have to see me lying in a snow drift and then venture out into the cold to start hammering on my 64 year old chest.

If the machine sits in my shop under a cover in storage for a winter or two without being used I'm okay with that so.....

My driveway is exposed aggregate on a mild slope about 80' long leading to a double garage. There are concrete walk ways around the house and a shop about 25' from the closest walk way with bark mulch ground cover that will have to have a path cleared as well.

My cursory research has led me to two machines, the Ariens Deluxe 24" and the Toro Power Max OXE 26". In my pea brain both machines will clearly do the job, have pretty much the same features with the exception of shear pins. The Toro product apparently doesn't have them on the auger.

If either one would be a good choice is not having to concern myself with shear pins worth picking the Toro over the Ariens......the price on the two isn't really much different

Thanks in advance fellas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
Toro basically backs the strength of the auger gearbox, so if an object gets stuck in the auger the engine just stops, most other machine have the shear pins to keep the gearbox from blowing out. Even if I had a toro I would still replace the bolts with shear pins, IMO

Noma 10/29
Cub cadet 5/26 conv to 8/26
Toro 8/24
Husqvarna st230p
post #3 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 120
The only brand snow blowers I've ever had has been Ariens just because the first one worked so well I didn't see a need to experiment with other brands and a servicing dealer was nearby. Since 1992 I've replaced exactly ONE shear pin. That said, the two places I've lived in during that time had paved driveways/walks and when snow is forecast I'll go out and look at any areas I can't see from the windows for obstructions like newspapers. YMMV of course.

But I just don't see the need to base the purchase decision entirely on which one uses shear pins. Much more important is the servicing dealer - been around a while, does he stock parts, have a good reputation, reasonably close, etc. all more important than shear pins or not.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Welcome to the forum! What's "exposed aggregate"? Gravel? Or what I'd call pavement/asphalt?

Gravel is more likely to get caught in the augers/impeller, and jam things up. Personally, I'd be more likely to shop by engine size, the features I wanted, etc. My driveway is paved, I might break 1 shear pin a year (and for numerous years I didn't break any). For my situation, at least, they aren't a big deal.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 02-15-2019 at 07:36 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Good information thanks....especially the proximity of parts/service. Exposed aggregate is a finish on concrete.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 08:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
Hi Ron, greetings from the West Kootenays.

This is my 4th winter with an Ariens DeLuxe Platinum 24, this is my 'best ever' blower. We have a gravel drive + misc. pathways on our property - to the compost, men's #1 outdoor toilet, greenhouses etc. it takes everything in it's stride. I have only ever broken one shear pin, when I accidentally sucked in a buried piece of firewood.

Cheers.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Ron from BC thanked for this post
post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 08:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
The Yamaha 824 would be a better match that you could trade up to and invest in the 1028 in a year or two. The 1333 is the only one with steering brakes the last time I checked-that is unless they started bringing in the new 1028s with the same track brakes that they have on the European models that have them.
The only thing is the 1028 has a lot of weight that is used for excellent traction/adhesion just like the 1332 and it would be needed on the slope in both directions.

What ever you decide on you need the poly skids to prevent scratching the driveway which would be an issue as you will most likely need and want chains if you purchase a brand other than a Yamaha as they offer non scratching poly skids.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
What ever you decide on you need the poly skids to prevent scratching the driveway

Good point. I did add those to my Ariens, not that I have anything to scratch, they just slide better.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kootenay View Post
Good point. I did add those to my Ariens, not that I have anything to scratch, they just slide better.
Thanks Wes and Leonz.....I think that's all the info I need, now to monitor the prices during the off season.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 08:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 13
Ariens shear bolts don't break often. Ariens uses shear bolts, not wimpy little pins like MTD machines. They're bolts with a notch cut into them. I'm almost through my second season and haven't broken one yet. They are only going to break if the blower ingests something it shouldn't be trying to blow, like a soaked and frozen newspaper or WVguy's hunk of firewood.

Either one of those machines will do quite well for you. For a machine you won't need every year I think a Yamaha is overkill. Yamahas are lovely but expensive. Same with Hondas. An Ariens Deluxe 24 or Toro 826 is about as fancy as I would get if I only needed a blower every couple years. I might even consider an MTD in your situation. They don't last like an Ariens or Toro but they cost less and if you only use it a couple times in three years I'm not sure that durability matters all that much.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO EFI
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Ron from BC thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page