LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 14
Ethanol Shield

So I decided to run a little test with my one of my backup machines. I use ethanol shield as my fuel stabilizer. According to their directions, 2 Oz will treat 5 gallons of fuel for 1 year and 4 oz will treat 5 gallons of fuel for 2 years. I use the 2 oz. for 5 gallons formula so that should be good for 1 year. I prepped the machine and basically more or less just let it sit, starting it once a month to see how it ran. Fast forward a full year and it would still start on 1 or 2 pulls and run fine.

Eventually I got to the point where I couldn't get it to start at all. I checked the spark and that was good so I took some starting fluid and sprayed into the carburetor, 1 pull, started right up. Drained the old fuel out put fresh fuel back in and 1 pull again, started right up and ran perfectly. This was after the old fuel was on the tank for 18 months. Just a fun little experiment I thought I'd share.

Also the engine is a Tecumseh 10hp 358cc L-Head and I was using 10% ethanol blended fuel from Mobil rated at 89 octane.

Ariens ST824 Deluxe '97 924082
Ariens ST1024 SHO '01 924106
Ariens 1332Pro '05 924516
Ariens Professional 32 '15 926039
Ariens Professional 32 '18
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jrom, PaulMys thanked for this post
Likes sturgissteele, Zavie liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 07:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
If you use Premium Non-Ethanol gas you do not need fuel stabilizer???

If you don't have access to non-Ethanol fuel look for Aspen 4-stroke fuel for summer storage...it has 3-4 year shelf life after opening....
post #3 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 14
Ethanol free fuel should last longer than ethanol blended on its own. Personally I would still a stabilizer.

I've never seen or heard of that Aspen fuel. There are several variants of synthetic fuels I have access to the like TruFuel. Which I use in my 2 stoke equipment. Way too expensive for 4 stoke. About $25 for 1 fill up on my 420cc Briggs engines.

With the luck I've had with ethanol shield switching out for summer storage seems to be an unnecessary step.

Ariens ST824 Deluxe '97 924082
Ariens ST1024 SHO '01 924106
Ariens 1332Pro '05 924516
Ariens Professional 32 '15 926039
Ariens Professional 32 '18
post #4 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 44
I use Stabil and Seafoam in all of my 5 gallon gas cans every since I can remember, I have no issue with any of my equipment. I do run all my equipment periodically, whether its used constantly or sitting out of season. Especially the generator, which many people tend to overlook. When you think its been to long, and are concerned, just drain it out and put fresh in. I personally never had to do this.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Mag View Post
If you use Premium Non-Ethanol gas you do not need fuel stabilizer???

Wrong. Premium non-ethanol gas does need fuel stabilizer. It goes bad in as little as 30 days, but is usually good for 60-90 days. As mentioned above, the stuff like tru-fuel has a long shelf life. But that can be costly to use as well, I just use stabil-360 which treats the gas, (ethanol) stabilizes it, and makes it good for a year or more. A LOT less expensive than the canned stuff.

Also- Sea foam is a cleaner/detergent, not a true fuel stabilizer. Fuel stabilization is not the primary purpose of sea foam. It is good stuff, but it is not made for long term stabilization (over 6 months) even though it may say so on the can.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 27
I use Star Tron without exception in every gallon of gas I use in my snow blower, atv, dirt bike, mower, weed eater, chain saw, etc. And I use ethanol free gas, yet still treat. Thanks to the nuts at the EPA, our gasoline today is garbage. Whether itís contaminated with corn or not, I start to worry if I havenít burned thru my gas in 4-6 weeks, tops.

Ariens Pro 32 Hydro Rapidtrak
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes PaulMys liked this post
post #7 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 12
Iím so tired of messing with or replacing funky carbs even using ethanol free Iím ready to bite the bullet and just buy airplane gas. At least 100 Low Lead is not going to cost a fortune and will absolutely last a year if need be and suffer no degradation. Most small airport pumps are self service with a credit card..
Funny, when I had a plane I used nothing in it but regular car gas with no problems. Then again it was still real gas not the garbage were stuck with today.
One other thing you can do is cut the line and stick a fuel shut off in. The big drawback is trying to remember to shut the fuel off every time you finish and run the car dry.

2002 Ariens 932-101
post #8 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Received): 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by driz View Post
I’m so tired of messing with or replacing funky carbs even using ethanol free I’m ready to bite the bullet and just buy airplane gas. At least 100 Low Lead is not going to cost a fortune and will absolutely last a year if need be and suffer no degradation. Most small airport pumps are self service with a credit card..
Funny, when I had a plane I used nothing in it but regular car gas with no problems. Then again it was still real gas not the garbage were stuck with today.
One other thing you can do is cut the line and stick a fuel shut off in. The big drawback is trying to remember to shut the fuel off every time you finish and run the car dry.
Small engines aren't mean to run leaded fuel. Most of the newer stuff has clearances so tight that the lead will actually accumulate over time cause interference issues with things like valve seats and stems. This is compounded by the 95-100+ octane rating of the fuel as the higher the octane rating the higher the combustion temperature.

I was in small engine repair and 99% of the problem is user related, not fuel. I never recommended anyone try to "run it dry" which is such bad advice as you still end up with about half an ounce of fuel in the carb bowl that goes bad. The sealed gas cans that the EPA forced on everyone actually helped immensely as well since the volatile vapors don't escape. I just use a quality stabilizer and keep my machines topped up. My 2-cycle gas can easily go 2 years in-between refills depending on severity of the season. Never had a problem.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks RedOctobyr thanked for this post
Likes tadawson liked this post
post #9 of 11 Old 02-17-2019, 02:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by driz View Post
Iím so tired of messing with or replacing funky carbs even using ethanol free Iím ready to bite the bullet and just buy airplane gas.

No no NO. These small engines are not made to run off of that stuff and you WILL damage it.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-17-2019, 07:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoThro View Post
I never recommended anyone try to "run it dry" which is such bad advice as you still end up with about half an ounce of fuel in the carb bowl that goes bad.
I've been running my engines dry, with stabilized fuel, without issues. But some recent repeated carb work that I've been doing has illustrated how much gas is actually left in the bowl, after you run it dry. And it was a good reminder to see that the gas is drawn in around halfway up the center post (for the jet & emulsion tube), not from the bottom of the bowl. So there is definitely some gas left in the bottom of the bowl, as you said.

I can see why some people remove the bowl, and wipe it down, to really get it empty. The biggest risk to that would presumably be damaging the bowl or nut gaskets (or mis-aligning the bowl, for engines where it's directional). Unfortunately, you might not discover those until you added gas again at the start of the next season.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes michaelnel liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page