LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 4
Heated Grips

I have seen articles and videos on installing heated grips on snowblowers that don't have them from the factory. But it seems to me they would not be all that effective, because the auger and drive levers come down on top of them and keep your hands from touching the grips except for your fingers.

Do folks find them effective? It seems to me like heated gloves would be a better way to go.

The other thing I have noticed is that for either heated grips or heated gloves the charging systems on these blowers are likely not up to the task. For instance, the blower I have on order is a Honda, and the stator / charging system in it does not look like it has enough capacity to drive heated grips or gloves. I know there are optional OEM and aftermarket stators that have more current capability, but most of the installs I have seen don't cover that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 01:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
In all honesty I'm not a fan of the heated grips..... you need a power source that can drive them first off.... and really, my hands never get cold - usually sweaty! ON a snowmobile I can see it.... long rides and not working very hard. Maybe it would allow you to wear thinner gloves I guess.... ? But you can also have heated gloves with the warmer packs too....
IDK? Maybe some other variables come into play.... a really long drive or if you do it commercially maybe...? My problem is almost always how not to sweat!

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 01:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 243
I put a Chinese kit on well, Because I could lol. But with my heavy gloves it doesnít do a lot but did notice them keeping my finger tips warm so I guess they work well enough but not a needed thing.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3831
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
I bought a couple of the really cheap ones off amazon or ebay and the wiring is nothing but junk. Especially the connection up at the heating element. I never bothered to install them as they just look like they wouldn't last one season and I chalked it up to not being so cheap next time. You get what you pay for. If you're going to go with aftermarket add-ons get something with good reviews.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 135
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 241
I just received a set of these Oxford EL801Z Cruiser grips (25mm / 1" bar size) that are made to order for the Honda HSS models that have an on-board battery (electric start). Several forum members have installed them with excellent results, and here's the video telling how: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...693-post1.html
post #6 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 4
Yeah, I watched the video. He did an excellent, meticulous install. I had Oxford Heaterz on one of my motorcycles and they were the best heated grips I have ever used.

But the problem remains that the auger and drive levers are unheated and will insulate your hands from the grips except for your fingertips.

I think heated gloves would work better if you have power to heat them.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 03:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 62
I find the grips work pretty well (and if it's not below 25* or so, I often turn them off after the first few minutes to avoid my hands getting too warm). My fingers are far more likely to get cold than the rest of my hand, so the levers partly blocking the grips doesn't present an issue. But having them is definitely the difference between wearing insulated gloves vs needing mittens (with the inconvenient loss of fingers).
post #8 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 300
Likes (Received): 152
Love the heated grips on my Simplicity. When we had the polar vortex blow through here they kept my hands toasty warm. Between doing the driveway, Cul de Sac, side yard back to the utility trailer and shed, and the dog run area, I can be out quite a while. It's so nice to do everything at once. Heated grips were one of the features I didn't have on my Husqvarna so when I got a chance to sell it I did.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #9 of 14 Old 02-19-2019, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
I have them on my current machine, never gave much thought until we had some storms when I was clearing in windy 10-15F conditions. Suddenly they were a big help.

Yes, the levers kind of get in the way of the tops. But as was said, your fingers still get the heat, which made a big difference.

I wouldn't move heaven & earth to add them. And heated gloves (or chemical hand warmers) might be simpler, since many machines won't have the electrical capacity for them. But I *do* like having them available, they've made cold clearing more comfortable.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 14 Old 02-20-2019, 03:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
IDK? Maybe some other variables come into play....
A variable: -25c and the wind is blowing...

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page