Big Thanks for all of you who gave advice last year - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-23-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Big Thanks for all of you who gave advice last year

Last February I posted on this site for the first time. I have a 600'+ driveway that I had been blowing snow with my John Deere F735 (front mount diesel mower). Although it worked great, the problem was that John Deere never made a blower for this specific model. To allow it to blow snow I had to put different lift arms on it and use a 47" blower that was made for a smaller gas front mount mower. The process took about two hours and required pulling the 150 lb lift arms off and putting the smaller lift arms on. This was much easier to do 15 years ago, but with age, it became a PIA. Since I also had a trac vac hooked up to the mower, I was always using it to vacuum up leaves until first snow fall.

Since we were only getting 3-4 snowfalls a year for the past 4-5 years, I thought I could get by with a walk behind. I came to this site asking what to look for in an older model as I didn't want to break the bank. I ended up with a mid 1990's Ariens 1032. Fast forward to this year where we have set a record for snowfall in MN for February. I am still impressed with how this machine can move snow. The only problem now is that I bought the blower thinking it would get used 4-5 times a year. in Feb, it has been getting used 3-4 times per week. My john deere could do the job in about 30 minutes. The ariens takes about 50-60 minutes. This time was fine for the last snow we had the last few years. however, after this year, I am thinking I will have to put the blower back on the big machine.

However, even as I was out this evening, blowing 5+ inches for the third time this week, I couldn't help but grin that this $300 blower had cleaned my 600'+ driveway 10+ times since last March. I'm guessing had I not visited this site I would have ended up with a $500-$600 2010-2012 MTD or equivelent. I;m not saying they are not good machines, Just wonder how they would have performed with all the use I have given this machine.

Thanks again to all of you who gave me some good sound advice.

John Deere F735 w/42" single stage
Ariens ST1032
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks knu2xs thanked for this post
Likes aveteam, Grunt, nwcove, RedOctobyr liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-23-2019, 08:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
My 1999 MTD has blown a lot of snow this season. So far we have gotten almost nine feet.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-23-2019, 08:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Roddy, from one Minnesotan to another: Winter sucks, but it sucks worse with only a snow shovel! I'm very happy your solution works. It's great when that happens, regardless of the brand or color.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-23-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannoman View Post
My 1999 MTD has blown a lot of snow this season. So far we have gotten almost nine feet.

No offense meant. From my interpretations of the responses from my original post was that older snowblowers were better built than most of the newer, less expensive ones. I'm guessing yours being a 1999 would qualify as an older one.

My local walmart has a 28" mtd for $699. Guessing it is not high quality

John Deere F735 w/42" single stage
Ariens ST1032
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page