post #1 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 200
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 551
Likes (Received): 106
Looking to learn some welding skills

Hello Members,
I'm curious and would like to learn some welding skills. I was wondering for those who have experience here what would be a good place to start. I have limited skills in this area (soldering) if you can call it that. I've seen flux-cored, MIG, DC-TIG,DC-Stick and I'm sure there are many more. Any way looking for somewhere to start.
Thanks!

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000

Last edited by aldfam4; 02-26-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 09:51 AM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 586
Garage
Will you be welding indoors , outdoors, or have the option of either?

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks aldfam4 thanked for this post
post #3 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
Will you be welding indoors , outdoors, or have the option of either?
Both, if inside it would be the unattached garage mancave or just outside in front of it.
Thanks for your interest.

Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #4 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 10:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldfam4 View Post
Both, if inside it would be the unattached garage mancave or just outside in front of it.
Thanks for your interest.
do you know what you will be welding how thick of metal. in my experience MIG is the easiest to learn and will have the best welds compared to Flux.

Drawbacks are the welders are more expensive and you will need gas an added cost. also if you dont have 220v in the garage that takes away from some of the nice mid grade mig welders you can get.

if its just going to be a limited use hobby and you only have standard electric i might stick with a 110 flux welder.

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4, jrom liked this post
post #5 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 99
Last year I bought a flux core welder that uses a flux core wire. It can do MIG as well with solid wire and a gas bottle. My son has a stick welder that needs a 120 volt 20 amp circuit even though 15 amp specified, so that is out. I am only a learner so the more exotic welders are out of my league.

MIG is probably best for indoor use since flux core gives off gasses. MIG needs a windless environment that cannot disperse the shielding gas. Flux core can be used anywhere outside or in garage, but suffers from spatter where little balls of metal are deposited on the surfaces close to the welding. Not hard to cleanup but a definite nusance that MIG resolves. But I have not used MIG yet.

Adjusting the weld for different metal thickness takes a lot of practice and is not as easy as the welder videos would suggest, at least for me. I have an auto darkening helmet that was almost as expensive as the welder but I cannot imagine welding without it. I don't have a welding cart but that will have to change since the welder is very heavy and there are extras to be transported too. I bought a traditional welding hammer but that is more for the hard slag of a stick welder. The flux core slag is thin and easily removed with a wire brush, so a set of wire brushes of different sizes to get into places is good.

I welded the broken augers on my son's Crafstman blower last fall and it has held up well. Fixed a few jobs around the house/garage that took a long time but results are not bad. Seems versatile for metal of 5/16" thickness or less.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 180
Likes (Received): 41
I agree with Snowbelt Mig is the easiest to learn and perfect for light metals such as snowblowers and lawn mowers. Myself I bought a flux cored wire fed and I am self taught. My welds arent the fanciest but I can get a good solid weld. Usually have to grind it to get a smooth looking job. I found that the flux core with .35 wire allowed me to weld thicker metals with multiple passes. I have used mig, flux-core, and stick. My preference is the flux core. Flux core makes more splatter from the flux but eliminates the cost of the mig gas contract. I dont do alot of welding so a tank of gas lasts years but the contract was about $60. due annually. Mig does do a smoother job on thinner metals.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks aldfam4, jrom thanked for this post
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #7 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 10:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
I grew up on a farm and did a lot of welding. Between farm shop at High School and what I learned on the farm, I was very good with a Lincoln Tombstone 220v stick welder. If you have 220v and want stick, that's my recommendation.

Once I got my own place, I only have 110v and picked up a 110v stick welder - big mistake. Next to impossible to strike a successful arc.
I then tried flux core mig. Picked up a HF unit - worked about a year then had a lot of issues with it. When it worked it worked OK, but more times than not I had feed issues with it.
I then went with a Hobart 110v mig (140 amp IIRC) that can take a bottle too. It's the one I'm still using. I'm not the greatest of welders as I do it so little and the 50 yrs since leaving the farm I've forgotten a lot. Once I touch up my skills, I get decent welds that hold.
If you want a brand, I'd suggest checking out Hobart, Lincoln or Miller, they all put out good welders. None may be industrial welders but most of us don't need that.
I also have a self darkening helmet, it's the best thing since sliced bread. I also have a dust and particulate mask I wear under the helmet. If you weld in an area that isn't that well ventilated and use flux core, the fumes can get to you.

One more thing. Never use chlorine based brake cleaner on metal then weld on it. Add the cleaner and heat and you create phosgene gas (think WW1 battlefields) and can be very nasty or even deadly.

If you have local adult ed classes, many have courses in welding. It's worth the time and money IMO.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by HCBPH; 02-26-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jrom thanked for this post
Likes jrom, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 11:37 AM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 586
Garage
no matter which machine you get, remember, surface prep is key. and its very important to use the right extension cord !

and to help with any annoying spatter......https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...H505/100341087

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
All that has been said above is solid advice. Hobart, Lincoln & Miller are the way to go. I know 3 friends that bought HF wire feeds and none worked after the first 6 months. You're gonna love welding.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287 liked this post
post #10 of 28 Old 02-26-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
do you know what you will be welding how thick of metal. in my experience MIG is the easiest to learn and will have the best welds compared to Flux.

Drawbacks are the welders are more expensive and you will need gas an added cost. also if you dont have 220v in the garage that takes away from some of the nice mid grade mig welders you can get.

if its just going to be a limited use hobby and you only have standard electric i might stick with a 110 flux welder.
Snowbelt_subie, thanks for your help. Good information. I don't have 220 voltage in the garage..., yet. I can get it in there but will have to wait until the summer for now. Flux - might be a consideration as of now, though

Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page