LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Unhappy Toro snowblower too much oil issue

Hey....Single mom here. Can't believe that I have signed up on this forum but I need help. I have a Toro Snowmaster 724, I guess. Anyway, I have had it for the last 2 years, bought it completely new and I have been living the dream here in Colorado when it snows. This morning I was heading out to snowblow and it would not start. long story short, I thought is was a gas issue, but I added gas and nothing....when I say nothing, it would not "turn over" like it usually does..... then I added oil....and way too much I am afraid, ugh!!! I am hoping that I have not ruined it completely!! I know that I need to drain the oil and I feel like I am capable of doing that. is there anything else that I need to do?
Thank you in advance, Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
Fill to full line with 5w-20 or 5w-30. Use non ethanol gas if you can get it.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks angelagraham28 thanked for this post
post #3 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you! obviously after I drain the oil. I read that some people on here recommend allowing the oil to drain overnight if possible? but my manual says to drain oil and then return machine to operating position. if I leave it overnight, will I ruin things further? Angela
post #4 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 04:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
No, cold oil takes quite a while, also tilt so the drain is lower.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok thanks! I will have to rig something up. I will be draining into an old cake pan, haha...so dumb. I appreciate your response!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 04:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 2796
Likes (Received): 505
Welcome to SBF Angela. Here is a simple and clean method to drain your oil. Sorry, but a pie pan will not be large enough to hold all of the oil.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...lpful-tip.html

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 04:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
Ok lets get some terminology set just so we are on the same page.
you say would not start. ok this meaning did not start/run and purr like a kitten, right.
" and nothing" would not turn over. does this mean that you physically could pull the starter cord out ? or again meaning it did not start and run?
The reason I am asking this is because certain conditions can happen that when a possible stuck float or bad needle seat allows the carburetor to overflow and depending on the engine it can over fill the crankcase ( area where oil is supposed to be ) and make the engine so full of oil/ gas that you cannot pull the starter cord out to try to start it.

So you say you know that you added too much oil. so yes remove drain plug and remove old oil and no you do not have to let it drain over night give it until you have no stream and a drop here and there and your good. Put PLUG back in and make sure that it is tight tight.
then put in new oil, to the amount that is recommended on the stick/ threads etc what ever the manual says for that engine.
If your blower has a fuel shut off , do you use it ? when you put the blower away until next snow?
Now how old is the gas in the blower tank and was it from a freshly filled gas can.

It could have simply just been flooded trying to start it so once oil is taken care you may be able to get it going.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK thanks! I appreciate it. I had my dad on FaceTime, he is a mechanical engineer, and he is also fluent in "blonde".....needless to say, it could be my spark plug. i have drained the oil to the correct amount. gas was fresh, so I will be calling the service number to have someone come look at it. Thank you all for your time and input!! Angela
post #9 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
Do u hit a button to start and nothing happened or do U pull start it and it wouldn’t run?

Noma 10/29
Cub cadet 5/26 conv to 8/26
Toro 8/24
Husqvarna st230p
post #10 of 15 Old 03-03-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I can do both with this, but it never purrs like a kitten as the poster above stated. it just putters and stops when I stop holding the button. ugh....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page