New Ariens Platinum SHO 24 running too slow - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question New Ariens Platinum SHO 24 running too slow

So I've just gotten the Platinum 24 SHO with 369CC engine. After 8 years with a Craftsman snowblower that couldn"t handle wet snow, i was excited to try this with an engine almost twice the size.

While it does do better with the EOD plow pile, it is generally running super slow and throws powder half the distance of my old craftsman - barely across a single car driveway! I know this can't be right. I've also noticed that despite what I'd read about the engine being loud, it's quite quiet.

I've read the manual, I"m good with all the controls, throttle is at max. I did notice that if I push on the throttle at max (as if trying to push it beyond the end of range), the engine speeds up dramatically. Which makes me think the throttle isn't adjusted right - but I don't see any obvious way to adjust the range.

Thoughts ?

Thanks!
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
If I recall on the new Ariens machines, the throttle and the choke are in a combination knob. The throttle itself is almost like an on/off switch, with hardly any range to it. The choke is on top of the throttle.

Make sure the throttle portion of the knob is fest to full without the choke being engaged.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #3 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 08:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 13
I have the EFI version of the same machine, which comes with a full range throttle control. If I lower the engine speed it behaves a lot like you're describing. Did you plug your chute? Mine does that too if I run it at part throttle. I don't do that anymore. It's either idle or full power.

Mine's fairly loud, like can't really talk over it without yelling loud. I wouldn't call it ear splitting though. At idle I can have a pretty normal conversation next to the machine unless I'm talking to one particular neighbor who speaks very softly. Again, I have the EFI version, but I would expect noise levels to be similar. It's the same engine just with fuel injection and an electronic governor.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO EFI
post #4 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 08:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
I have that machine,and never heard anyone accuse it of being loud (and it's a lot quieter than my old one). Mine throws to far I worry about hitting things, and wish that I *could* slow it down (our snow conditions basically don't know what clogging is most of the year - cold and dry snow almost all the time . . .). As noted by others, the throttle has basically two positions - idle and full, and about 1/4 turn between them as I recall. The choke is a ring outside the throttle, and you needto be sure that it is open when running.

If the throttle is turned all the way to 'rabbit', and it still runs slow, it needs to be checked by your dealer - that's not right . . . (but on mine, when at full, Idon't think I could turn it any more if I tried . . .)
post #5 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
yup, like I said, that's all good
post #6 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
HI - sorry, all good was a response to whether I knew where the throttle knob is. I do. Yes, it has about a quarter turn on throttle knob, under the choke knob. At full open throttle, it seems to be very underpowered. Less power than my old craftsman with a 200cc engine (vs 369).
Yeah, will call dealer tomorrow, unfortunately, getting 8" + in Boston tonight.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 09:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Welcome to the forum!

If you want to post a video, that would give us a better understanding of how fast it's running, and what the controls are set to. Please don't take that the wrong way, but maybe the other users that have the same machine might notice something that doesn't look quite right.

Presumably the choke control is functioning correctly? So that turning the choke on, while running, makes the engine smoke and falter?

Does it slow down even more, when you lower the throttle setting?

Sorry about the bad timing, hopefully you can at least clear your driveway with it tomorrow. If you were desperate, you could remove whatever covers the carburetor area, and take a look for something amiss. But with a brand-new machine, my preference would be to talk to the dealer first.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 17 Old 03-03-2019, 10:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 99
Here are a couple of pics of my throttle positions. First pic shows full throttle and full choke; second pic shows idle throttle and open choke. Should be same as yours. The throttle ring only seems to work properly when oriented as the pics show, however it fits on a plastic tower with 4 apparently equally spaced fingers. The choke pulls off with pliers and throttle ring just lifts up. I don't think you can see the actual throttle mechanism but it will look like the third pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Throttle & choke small.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	154433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Idle throttle & choke off small.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	154435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle in High speed position.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	154439  

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #9 of 17 Old 03-04-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi folks - thanks for the replies.
I will try to take a video tomorrow - I appreciate the effort to help me out.

Engine does slow down when throttle is lowered - in fact, at idle position, it just about dies. It also sputters a bit even at full throttle.
Yes, It slows down when I open choke once it's running.

Throttle knob is in the same position as in photos.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-04-2019, 12:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 247
Aside from what advice you have been given, I would also suggest taking a look at the auger belts and their tensioning. For my Deluxe 28 SHO I had to adjust my belts after the first heavy use. After that it ran well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page