Some thoughts and considerations about the last slush storm - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-04-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 547
Some thoughts and considerations about the last slush storm

Greetings Friends....last night we got hit with the first significant snow storm of this winter in SE Mass. It was as heavy a snow as I've ever dealt with. I had some areas with 4 inches and some with 9. What was uniform was the 2-3 inches at the bottom that was pure slush. I started the driveway with the refurbed 910018 1973 Ariens that I put the $79 MTD 208cc engine on from E-bay....the blower is stock except for the medium chute upgrade, 2 of the 4 fins of the impeller with baler belting, and the new engine.....It performed strong, never clogged, never labored and threw snow a respectable distance. I think she could have thrown stonger, but this engine has no throttle control, and the RPM's seem very modest. I finished my drive, and did the neighbors that had his Husqvarna in the shop. I then took out my Rat Blower experiment to see how it would do.....ST1236 chassis, narrowed axles, 24 inch teardrop bucket with cast iron auger drive, Overhead valve 12 hp Tecumseh, tallest chute, four fin impeller modification, auger pulley swapped from 2.75 inches to 3.5 inches. This girl was STRONG. I measured the throw at 35 feet.....now remember this stuff is WET. It didn't bog down or act like it had anything in front of it, no matter what speed I tried..or how deep the snow was....The only downside was the balance. I had to constantly pull up on the handlebars to keep the nose down....it wasn't much up pressure but was fatiguing after 15 minutes.....perhaps some weight? The third tryout was a 910019 Ariens from 1974 that I put an unknown size and hp engine on from a Harbor Freight pressure washer that no longer made pressure. Stock engine with no jet mods, medium chute, 2 fin out of 4 impeller modification. This is the one that really surprised me......it threw practically as far as the big 12 hp machine...got on the governor and screamed...what I really liked about this one and her sister 10000 series Ariens was the balance and ease of operation...almost effortless to maneuver. Lastly, I took out "Old Faithful" my ST 834 Ariens that I refurbed 15 years ago with a 6.5 Chondra from HF before the Greyhound and Predators. She has a 4 blade impeller mod, tallest chute, adjustable main jet, chains over snow hogs. Her motor has been acting up, and I suspect a carb issue or bad fuel, but she started and ran through the slush with no problem, but I could tell she was not herself power wise.....she is in the shop for a carb transplant, or cleaning. Now....I took out some refurbed blowers without impeller kits that are in inventory for sale....An ST 824 Ariens, A 826 Toro with the Briggs engine, An ST 10 32 Ariens, and a 10.5 MTD with 28 inch bucket......all are stock, and running perfectly with no issues. Not a one of them could go a foot without clogging. I expected them to not perform on the level of the machines with impeller kits, but never expected them to totally not perform. This storm has certainly proven to me the value of the impeller kits and I would not own a blower with out one from this point forward.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gibbs296, Hanky thanked for this post
Likes RedOctobyr, aldfam4, detdrbuzzard liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-04-2019, 03:21 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 112
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 903
Likes (Received): 210
Garage
Excellent observations. Thank you for your information! Happy to have recently done an impeller mod on my old 5/24. She does perform much better.

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
In Central NJ, along the Delaware River, we got 1" of wet snow, snowed from 7pm-10 then turned to rain, across the river 10 miles away they got 2"-3". The snow was North West of me.

This morning I took out a Ariens JD 826D with the impeller mod, surging carb, the chute clogged but eventually more snow pushed it out. The auger was seeming to clog, not the impeller, as snow was being pushed forward on the sidewalk. This sole snow I used the impeller mod, I was not impressed.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 03-04-2019 at 04:02 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2019, 04:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 200
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 555
Likes (Received): 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
Greetings Friends....last night we got hit with the first significant snow storm of this winter in SE Mass. It was as heavy a snow as I've ever dealt with. I had some areas with 4 inches and some with 9. What was uniform was the 2-3 inches at the bottom that was pure slush. I started the driveway with the refurbed 910018 1973 Ariens that I put the $79 MTD 208cc engine on from E-bay....the blower is stock except for the medium chute upgrade, 2 of the 4 fins of the impeller with baler belting, and the new engine.....It performed strong, never clogged, never labored and threw snow a respectable distance. I think she could have thrown stonger, but this engine has no throttle control, and the RPM's seem very modest. I finished my drive, and did the neighbors that had his Husqvarna in the shop. I then took out my Rat Blower experiment to see how it would do.....ST1236 chassis, narrowed axles, 24 inch teardrop bucket with cast iron auger drive, Overhead valve 12 hp Tecumseh, tallest chute, four fin impeller modification, auger pulley swapped from 2.75 inches to 3.5 inches. This girl was STRONG. I measured the throw at 35 feet.....now remember this stuff is WET. It didn't bog down or act like it had anything in front of it, no matter what speed I tried..or how deep the snow was....The only downside was the balance. I had to constantly pull up on the handlebars to keep the nose down....it wasn't much up pressure but was fatiguing after 15 minutes.....perhaps some weight? The third tryout was a 910019 Ariens from 1974 that I put an unknown size and hp engine on from a Harbor Freight pressure washer that no longer made pressure. Stock engine with no jet mods, medium chute, 2 fin out of 4 impeller modification. This is the one that really surprised me......it threw practically as far as the big 12 hp machine...got on the governor and screamed...what I really liked about this one and her sister 10000 series Ariens was the balance and ease of operation...almost effortless to maneuver. Lastly, I took out "Old Faithful" my ST 834 Ariens that I refurbed 15 years ago with a 6.5 Chondra from HF before the Greyhound and Predators. She has a 4 blade impeller mod, tallest chute, adjustable main jet, chains over snow hogs. Her motor has been acting up, and I suspect a carb issue or bad fuel, but she started and ran through the slush with no problem, but I could tell she was not herself power wise.....she is in the shop for a carb transplant, or cleaning. Now....I took out some refurbed blowers without impeller kits that are in inventory for sale....An ST 824 Ariens, A 826 Toro with the Briggs engine, An ST 10 32 Ariens, and a 10.5 MTD with 28 inch bucket......all are stock, and running perfectly with no issues. Not a one of them could go a foot without clogging. I expected them to not perform on the level of the machines with impeller kits, but never expected them to totally not perform. This storm has certainly proven to me the value of the impeller kits and I would not own a blower with out one from this point forward.
Enjoy the fruits of your labor cranman! Nice work.

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 4
Thanks Cranman. I need to do this. We got very little on the Cape, so for me it was all o manual.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Seaweed, take a ride down this spring...I'll do an upgrade on that girl of yours!...I'm starting to get good at it!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2019, 07:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
Thanks Cranman. I need to do this. We got very little on the Cape, so for me it was all o manual.
Manual? Like, a (shudder) *shovel*? I'm sorry Definitely do the impeller mod, it's made a nice difference on my machine. A coworker did it too, he's very happy with the change.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 9 Old 03-06-2019, 05:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
Seaweed, take a ride down this spring...I'll do an upgrade on that girl of yours!...I'm starting to get good at it!

Thanks. Will do. I think we have more Winter left this month.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-06-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I can't believe how winter has been later and later the last three years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page