LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-07-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 154
cheap propane conversion

well the discussion about propane snowblower definitely got me interested but the price tag i was seeing associated with some kits were stupid expensive until i looked around and noticed a lot cheaper cheaper kit. has anyone tried one? i ordered 1 last week and it showed up today which really surprised me since it came all the way from china. there seems like a few video of people running this style carb on generators and really not much of a difference between generators and snowblowers. i am hoping to try getting the carb on as soon as possible but the snowblower i want to put the carb on is currently glued to the ground with ice and buried under snow since i haven't used it this season since it is a pain to start since i broke the choke on it. the plug also likes to foul up or something ever since i changed the plug. i don't see how a different plug causes it to change how the engine runs but it did which is why i am hoping propane may help fix this issue. as far as carb quality goes looks like anything anything you would order from china for cheap. some scuffs and dings on mating surfaces but nothing that should stop it from working. since i will be running this one a small 20" machine i was thinking about probably just powering it with little tanks since a 20lb tank might be a bit much to toss on a small machine. i am open to any tips or advise people maybe have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_171723.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	154673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_171732.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	154677   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_171750.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	154679   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141010_174612.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	154681  

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-07-2019, 08:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 241
You may need a larger tank in order to generate sufficient gas at very low temps. Will be interesting to see the outcome!

Propane vapor pressure at 70F = 127 and at 0F is only 31. Also see the Propane Cold Weather BTU chart below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Cold Weather BTUs.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	154703  

Last edited by tabora; 03-08-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287, gibbs296 liked this post
post #3 of 24 Old 03-07-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
i was thinking i will probably need take the tanks in to keep them warm when not in use since they will be so small but really wanting to keep the blower light weight and a 20lb tank will not help its weight. i would really like to get this machine back up and running as my main machine to snow blow other peoples driveways since it was so lite and i never needed my ramps to load or unload it but i guess we will see what happens.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #4 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
You may be able to find a 5# or 11# propane tank we have them around here. I have both a 5 and 11 they are common for hunters and ice fishing shacks, you just need to take them to have filled at a propane dealer.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Received): 547
Is that a dual fuel carb?
post #6 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
ya it it one of them dual fuel carbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
You may be able to find a 5# or 11# propane tank we have them around here. I have both a 5 and 11 they are common for hunters and ice fishing shacks, you just need to take them to have filled at a propane dealer.
i will take a look. if i could find a 5lb tank i think i could live with that but i don't think i have ever seen one.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #7 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
I have 4 generators that run on dual fuel.2 of them I converted to dual fuel I never converted my snowblower to propane because propane has a lower BTU rating than Gasoline.And Propane does not like cold weather.If your snowblower does not run well on gas than it will not run on Propane I have been dealing with propane powered equipment for about 8 years.My first generator was a single fuel Generac generator.They only sold them for about 2 years maybe 3.People did not do there homework on propane so they kept sending them back instead of doing some reading up on Propane.I would still have it .But the older I got I needed electric start and could not put one on it.In the winter time when the Temp goes below 40 I use 2 tanks to generate enough gas for power equipment.A 20 LB propane tank gets me about 25% less run time than 5 Gallons of Gas in warm weather.The only reason why I converted to propane was that i got tired of storing 20 gallons of gas and recycling it into my Vehicles.So now I have 8 cylinders that I store in my shed and never have to recycle.If you are going to convert.Make sure you read up on it.Things like a new plug,Changing the gap on the plug.Go to US carburation .They have a lot of info to get you going. Take youtube with a grain of salt.I don't know how some of them people did not blow themselves to **** with some of there contraptions.If you need any help let me know.Tony PsS Make sure that the kit has a Regulator that shuts off the propane when the engine dies.Propane gas works by Vacuum and unlike gas it will keep flowing.when engine shuts down.

Last edited by tonylumps; 03-08-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
the snowblower use to run real good until i changed the spark plug. now it will run real good for a few minutes and then start running rougher till it stop running. pull plug clean it off toss it back in and it does the same things over. it ran perfect for 3 years previous. since i broke the choke and needed to replace the carb anyways figure minus well try the one with propane. there was someone else who converted their machine to propane and seemed pretty happy with it. i believe the regulator on the carb that is vacuum activated and you also need a regulator like on a BBQ to keep the pressure low enough so it doesn't force its way into the engine.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #9 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 03:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Just curious, is it the factory suggested plug? There had been a mention of a plug fouling after it was replaced. If, perhaps, the new plug was a different (wrong) heat range, perhaps that could have an impact on fouling, or other misbehavior. Of course, also assuming the gap is correct.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
it is what the system said was the NTK version of the plug. the gap was the same on the the new plugs as the old. think it was .035. i think i even tried some of my old trucks spark plugs in it since i had lots and they were just fine when in my truck. it would still do the same thing. after digging it out today i know there is most likely going to be fuel system issues. looks like there is probably some rust starting to develop in the tank and it only ran for a short amount of time before not wanting to stay going on its own. i guess at least it ran which was the important thing. also looked at possibly swapping the 208cc on it. just need to get the pulley spaces cut right and i can drop the engine on.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page