LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-10-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Ode to a hand-me down MTD Yardman 5-24

Way back in 2006 or 2007, I noticed my Mother-in -Law had an old MTD snowblower sitting in the back of her garage gathering dust. When I asked her about it she said she never uses it as it was too much of a pain in the a*s and too big for her. I offered to buy it from her as I knew it'd come in handy for me and would see some use. She told me I was welcome to it. That old machine has worked and blown northern Minnesota and now western Wisconsin snow for me every year I've had it.I change the oil in it every year, keep fresh gas in it and it's never failed me. I did put tire chains on it and some armor skids to help with the gravel driveway. This year I had to replace an auger belt, the first actual repair it's need since I brought it home. It even tackled the 60+" of snow we received this February without issue. I'm seriously considering and planning on replacing it for next season, but any new blower I buy will have to go a long ways to outshine my little 5/24 MTD hand-me-down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-10-2019, 04:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
It's practically new! If it works that well why would you want to replace it?

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #3 of 3 Old 03-11-2019, 05:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
I have to agree, if it works well for you then why replace it? IMO the new ones aren't up to the quality of the older ones. The simplicity of the older units makes them far more dependable than the newer ones so why mess with a combination that works?

Maintain it and it will take care of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page