LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
Buying Advice - Honda, Yamaha or Ariens

Driveway: 60*60 Parking area, 100-foot driveway sloping up to road - not steep but an incline at the end - all gravel. Pathway to gf's log cabin office. No neighbours nearby.
Location & snow type: Laurentians Quebec, about 10 feet per annum snowfall. More this year (13 so far I think). Rarely more than a foot per snowfall. Snowplough which comes down our road generally leaves a huge lip at the top of the driveway though
Me: mid-40s, reasonably fit, no health issues, occasionally my gf- similar but fitter than me. I'm a Euro immigrant so less experienced with the quantities of snow we get here.
Current machine: Poulan PP208E24 POS 24 inch plastic crap which breaks down 3 times per winter. I loathe this machine!
Concerns: Poulan POS breaks constantly, is very heavy to turn (my kingdom for something I am not constantly struggling with) and doesn't handle the top of the driveway well at all as it curves at the top onto the road (maybe need something with tracks). Also is having trouble throwing snow high and far enough at the end of winter. Hand warming would be nice but not essential.
Local sources: There are a lot of snowblower sellers around here.
Budget: Approx 3k Canadian plus tax. Could go to more if I had to.

I have been recommended Ariens and Yamaha by various people, but also warned off Ariens as some of their models are very cheap (?). As little maintenance as possible as I am not very mechanically minded. Oh yeah, and I would much rather pay more for something which will last and be stress-free than save a few dollars. Currently leaning towards the YT624EJ although if I can afford it come next winter I might try to stretch to the YS1028JA.

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Ariens are fine machines..but, if you can afford a new Honda or Yamaha, get one!
Personally, if the money is not an issue, I would only look at Honda or Yamaha, nothing else..
then choose which model (from either company's lineup) that is best for your needs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin242 View Post
but also warned off Ariens as some of their models are very cheap (?).

simply wrong.. if anyone says that, its just their opinion. (and their opinion is wrong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin242 View Post
Budget: Approx 3k Canadian plus tax. Could go to more if I had to.

You dont have to. 3K will get you more than you need..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 195
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
I'd look at both the Honda and Yamaha track machines since you have gravel. The Honda track has a lever to easily adjust the bucket height. The Yamaha is not sold down here in the States, but has a very good reputation here on the forum. I like the fact that Yamaha has a chute lined with a heavy duty plastic so the snow will not stick. I have the Honda HSS928 with the modified chute and modified transmission and it is a good machine. The Honda engines have a reputation for longevity. Either the Yamaha or the Honda will give you 20-30 years of service if maintained. The Honda HSS1332 has an auger protection system that is wonderful. If you hit a stick or a newspaper, the auger will stop and you just need to reset the machine instead of breaking a shear bolt or eating a frozen paper. It's a wonderful evolutionary advantage. You may have that auger protection system on the HSS928's in Canada as well. In the US, it is just on the biggest machine, the 1332.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)

Last edited by Miles; 03-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kin242, jrom, ST1100A liked this post
post #4 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 27
No experience with Honda or Yamaha. I've been very happy with my Ariens Pro 32. It has started first pull of the rope every time and has tackled everything I've thrown at it. One thing to keep in mind, the Ariens Pro models are NOT the same as the big-box store models. They are superior in just about every way.

Ariens Pro 32 Hydro Rapidtrak
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Blackstar, Steve70 liked this post
post #5 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Performance-wise, I firmly believe the larger 14" impellers of the Ariens will move more volume of snow over both the Honda and Yamaha.

- 2013 Ariens Pro 32 (926039)
- 2014 Ariens Path-Pro (938031)
-
Backpack Leaf Blower (for the real small snow events)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Steve70 liked this post
post #6 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
10+ feet of snow annually, at a cabin in the woods, with a gravel driveway...

That’s track machine territory. The best track machines hands down are Honda and Yamaha.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ST1100A, kin242 liked this post
post #7 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 940
Likes (Received): 1024
Garage
yamaha

speak to owners in your neighborhood

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #8 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 92
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
Scot, I will add, your 3k down south works out to a little under 5k in Canada after exchange and sales tax..... Alex
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kin242 liked this post
post #9 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by contender View Post
Scot, I will add, your 3k down south works out to a little under 5k in Canada after exchange and sales tax..... Alex
Yes, 5k Canadian is at the top of my range... Which is why the YS1028JA is the furthest I would stretch to (is it that much better?). The main thing that attracted me to the Ariens was that I could get a wider machine... but the consensus definitely seems that Yamaha/Honda are better machines- but Honda are way up there price-wise as I definitely want a track machine it seems.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 215
Gravel driveway will need a track machine or Ariens RapidTrak Pro model. You must remember, that no snow blower runs forever without proper maintenance and repairs. I don't care which one you choose, they will all break down at one time or another.

Last edited by russ01915; 03-11-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page