It's hard to have respect for dealers sometimes. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-08-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 616
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 848
Likes (Received): 894
Garage
It's hard to have respect for dealers sometimes.

I have had more people tell me in the last couple years that our local Honda dealer is telling owners to have their snowblowers serviced EVERY year. I don't think this is right. This past winter maybe I used my blower 25 hours and it was a wetter than usual winter.

yes , i will change the oil in the fall and go thru an inspection with lubrication points etc. But a full service?

I tell/show people how to do an inspection , encourage basic maintenance , do an oil change , and how to prepare their snowblower for the long lay off between spring and the next winter.

Honda really needs to clamp down on some of their dealers. I had one guy show me receipts for his services for the last 15 years. EVERY year his average service was about $250. In those 15 years they changed the belts 5 times. They changed the scraper bar and skid shoes 4 times ! They changed other parts as well. he barely used the machine as he had a plow service and only used his machine occasionally.

I serviced his 828 and found NOTHING wrong. No bad adjustments that would cause the scraper and shoes to premature wear. The belts ran straight and true and were in perfect condition. The machine was in excellent condition with low hours for a 25 year old machine. The owner just did what he was told and had it serviced every year and the dealer must have seen him coming from a couple blocks away.

he is not the only one. I have done enough services to machines that had previously been serviced by this dealer to see they are NOT doing the work they charge for, the corners they cut , etc.

This is one of the reasons I strive to educate Honda owners to take care of their machines themselves. It's a shame that this kind of business practice still goes on.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes vootman liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
I have had more people tell me in the last couple years that our local Honda dealer is telling owners to have their snowblowers serviced EVERY year. I don't think this is right. This past winter maybe I used my blower 25 hours and it was a wetter than usual winter.

yes , i will change the oil in the fall and go thru an inspection with lubrication points etc. But a full service?

I tell/show people how to do an inspection , encourage basic maintenance , do an oil change , and how to prepare their snowblower for the long lay off between spring and the next winter.

Honda really needs to clamp down on some of their dealers. I had one guy show me receipts for his services for the last 15 years. EVERY year his average service was about $250. In those 15 years they changed the belts 5 times. They changed the scraper bar and skid shoes 4 times ! They changed other parts as well. he barely used the machine as he had a plow service and only used his machine occasionally.

I serviced his 828 and found NOTHING wrong. No bad adjustments that would cause the scraper and shoes to premature wear. The belts ran straight and true and were in perfect condition. The machine was in excellent condition with low hours for a 25 year old machine. The owner just did what he was told and had it serviced every year and the dealer must have seen him coming from a couple blocks away.

he is not the only one. I have done enough services to machines that had previously been serviced by this dealer to see they are NOT doing the work they charge for, the corners they cut , etc.

This is one of the reasons I strive to educate Honda owners to take care of their machines themselves. It's a shame that this kind of business practice still goes on.
Its not just Honda dealers. You name the brand, and there are questionable dealers who will charge as much as they can as often as they can. Some people dont care, they just accept whatever they are told and pay the bill. If you are dependant on dealers or shops for everything, and do not know how to diagnose problems, even if you cannot fix them yourself, you will probably get hosed at least some of the time by trusting what people tell you without question. If you want to split hairs, you can never go wrong changing every moving or wearing part once a year whether it needs it or not.

I just had my car in for its 5 year inspection, and was told after the car was in the service bay for all of 7 minutes, that I needed all the brakes and rotors replaced, plus all four tires, for a total estimate of about $2200.00. The car has 21000 miles on it. I told them I would like to see the condition of the brakes and rotors and tires while it was on the hoist, but was told, sorry, customers are not permitted in the service area and those parts are already back on the car. Not bad for 7 minutes.... I thanked them for the estimate and went on my way.

Pretty sad. I checked the brakes and it did need pads on the front, and rotors were kind of iffy on the inside surface. Rear pads had about 1/8 material left and the rotors were fine.

I went to my handy dandy small garage and had what needed doing for about 60% of what the dealer quoted using OEM Toyota parts. Tires are fine, no plans to replace them in the next year or so.

So its not just Honda and OPE its every brand and probably 50% of dealers and service providers.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #3 of 23 Old 05-09-2019, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 109
Garage
Quote:

It's sickening how Dealers of all sorts, not just yard equipment, descend on the unaware to service equipment, and charge them outrageous fees. My wife had a 2011 Altima that had under 8,000 KM on it, and the Dealer was telling her she needed a brake service where they remove and lube the brake system....all for ONLY $600! After 3 attempts I went in and asked the guy...." Just how stupid do you think I am?"......Please guys.....try and refrain from answering that! But REALLY?! We called a Nissan Dealer in another city nearby, and asked if this would affect our warranty. They asked" well, is there something actually wrong with your brakes? He answered the question with another question.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
post #4 of 23 Old 05-09-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I know a garage shop owner that doesn't spend a dime on advertising and has so much work he can't handle it all.

all because he is honest and fair.

Likes crazzywolfie liked this post
post #5 of 23 Old 05-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 6
We all have stories and yes it is not specific to any dealer it happens across the board. I bought a Ford vehicle from a Ford dealership with only 11,000 km on the odometer, at 16,000 km i took it in for a engine oil change and was told i needed to change my brake line fluid. I have never, ever changed brake line fluid at 16,000 km on basically a brand new car ought from that same dealership, when i explained that and mentioned i wanted to see it in their service manual for the vehicle they dropped it down to it is not mandatory just a suggestion.

Enough said at that point....

For my snowblower i do a oil and spark plug change end of every season, general visual and lubrication and that's pretty much it.

Last edited by Ballroomblitz; 05-10-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-10-2019, 04:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 129
i believe what your talking about is the dealer or even some shops trying to up sell you on services that your vehicle doesn't need. pretty sure there is a couple video's on youtube that explain how most of the time it is all just BS but some people are too stupid to question it. pretty much if it is not on the service schedule in the service manual in the glove box then the dealer is making crap up. as long as you follow the schedule in the manual it should stay covered under warranty.
Quote:
I know a garage shop owner that doesn't spend a dime on advertising and has so much work he can't handle it all.

all because he is honest and fair.
yup and that is usually how the best shops are but getting a bit more difficult to find good shops like that.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #7 of 23 Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
i believe what your talking about is the dealer or even some shops trying to up sell you on services that your vehicle doesn't need. pretty sure there is a couple video's on youtube that explain how most of the time it is all just BS but some people are too stupid to question it. pretty much if it is not on the service schedule in the service manual in the glove box then the dealer is making crap up. as long as you follow the schedule in the manual it should stay covered under warranty.

yup and that is usually how the best shops are but getting a bit more difficult to find good shops like that.
many of the people i have helped are professionals....teachers , lawyers, IT experts , etc ,etc, and they all could run circles around me in their respective fields. they just don't know mechanicals like we do and it's a shame they get taken advantage of.

I don't bad mouth my local dealer to tell. I just tell them they don't need all the work that the dealer suggests. It may be a liability issue......who knows. I just give people an honest deal and do the best I can to keep their Honda in tip top shape.

i have been on the receiving end of rip off repairs so I know how it goes.

plus i know my father and father in law is watching me and keeping me on the straight and narrow path. if i were 40 years younger i would open up a shop and really clean up. the dealer tried hiring me 3 times but my days of having a boss is long gone.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, crazzywolfie liked this post
post #8 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Servicing Cub Cadet 3X 26

I do my own maintenance on my 3X 26 following the manual's instructions. This year in Beaver Creek Ohio we have had very little snow and what we did have was light (about 3 inches). I used the blower 3 times. I am wondering if I need to do maintenance on it this year. What do you think?
post #9 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliascm View Post
I do my own maintenance on my 3X 26 following the manual's instructions. This year in Beaver Creek Ohio we have had very little snow and what we did have was light (about 3 inches). I used the blower 3 times. I am wondering if I need to do maintenance on it this year. What do you think?
a dealer would say yes. I say inspect it and check maintenance points. you probably won't need too much. just check oil and shut off gas and run engine until it stalls out and you'll probably be good to go next winter.

post #10 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 03:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 7
The automotive and home & garden equipment markets seem to be built on the premise of low-margin sales, high-margin service. Sadly I don't see it changing anytime soon. Last time I had anything done at a car dealership that wasn't under warranty or recall, they knowingly replaced my battery when their records showed them my existing one was still under warranty. I paid for it and didn't realize until it was too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page