Thank you Shaw351 for saving our Honda 1132 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Thank you Shaw351 for saving our Honda 1132

A while ago, a day after a snow storm, I was walking to my mailbox, and I found a thick, heavy piece of black metal shaped like the letter “L/J”...I picked it up, was examining it, it had a rectangular piece of red metal with two nutted threaded studs ... a skid from my Honda HS1132 snowblower—along with part its’ bucket. Great.

Spent the next few days contacting Honda dealers, as well as general repair shops about fixing it ... received a bunch of replies like this one:

“Hello,
This snowblower looks worn out to me. Repairs are more than the value of the unit so my recommendation is to junk it.
I have new comparable units in stock starting at 799.95.”

Also contacted a number of welding shops—-with very long lead times:

“Hi, snowblower bucket repair, we could fit it in by end of April.
please advise.” This was the beginning of March. “End of April” was many a snow storm away!

We were stuck in a difficult spot-numerous snow storms yet to come (this was first week of March 2019) with a potential 7 week repair wait; a new ‘similar’ snowblower would cost between $1,000 and $4,000; and to my eyes-a broken skid bracket should not be a reason to scrap this snowblower.

I decided to buy some mending plates, bolting them on both sides and use some through bolts to hold the skid on. And also needed to purchase a pair of new rear skids for my Honda 1132. Went online to see if I could find some which would work for this project.

During a Google search, SnowBlowerForum came up ... along with some photos of repaired snowblower buckets, and some home designed and shop crafted skids. One post in particular caught my eye, and the SBF member also lived in Massachusetts. Shaw351.

I joined SBF, and sent a private message to Shaw351, asking him if he could point me in the right direction.

And did he point me in the right direction ! After first communicating by private messages, then talking on the telephone we figured out the plan of attack, including me taking off the 1132 bucket and auger assembly; we met a few days later. I don’t want to go into any “personal” details about Shaw351, but I think I can write that within 5 minutes of meeting him and seeing his shop, one could tell that this man could literally build anything he wanted out of metal. Unique designs. Super impressive craftsmanship. Very personable and friendly. And took the time to explain what he was doing, why he choose the specific tools, and why he used these methods to fix it. He fixed the broken bucket skid attachment plate, and reinforced it from the inside; then reinforced the “good” side-both from the exterior and interior.
And finally fixed some other broken welds. He also took it upon himself to re-build my Honda Commercial Side Skid plates making them thicker and better shaped than the originals, and reground the scraper ! He even took the time to tell me which other parts I should replace (bearings, and belts), and which maintenance I should perform while the 1132 was apart. When we were done, Shaw351 said that he didn’t do it for the money. I did not feel right about that, so gave him token payment for materials, wear & tear, etc; he returned some of it. Wow ! A few hours later, I was headed home with a repaired 1132, just needed to sand, prime, paint, replace some bearings, belts, grease, and reassemble it. (I finally found a close paint match for the 2008 Honda 1132 (the color match is near perfect on the outer surfaces; the inner surfaces-inside the bucket- the color match is not the best), Rust-Oleum Gloss Sunrise Red oil based enamel #7762; and painted the final top-coat last week....and took the final photos.)

I hope Shaw351 does not mind me writing this-he is one thoughtful, kind-hearted, industrious, multi-talented, hardworking, and generous man.

Shaw351 showed me his “Frankenblower”, an Ariens/Troy-Bilt 36” wide bucket with a 16 Hp engine snowblower- - - what a beast ! Very impressive custom build, very suited for his specific purposes.

Seriously, he is one of those people who helps make this World a better place; not just with (cheap) words, but with actions.

I am really fortunate that this SBF exists, and that Shaw351 is a member. Our Honda 1132 should be good for some big snow storms this coming winter !

Thanks Snowblower Forum, and a monumental thanks to Shaw351.

Here are some before and after photos; have many more photos, but only 10 are allowed.

Thanks again,
DudeFromMA
Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like - 5 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks micah68kj, orangputeh, tabora, dbert, eyebolt thanked for this post
Likes nwcove, Grunt, Jackmels, knu2xs, eyebolt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 02:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 136
Garage
Glad I was able to help with your project & repair.

Such kind words, Thank You.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks micah68kj, eyebolt thanked for this post
Likes micah68kj, Grunt, eyebolt liked this post
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 515
Joe is an asset to this forum and has helped many of us out. I'm trying to make time and come and visit you Joe, but life keeps getting in the way! Miss reading about your builds!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt thanked for this post
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 616
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 853
Likes (Received): 905
Garage
great story.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks knu2xs thanked for this post
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 237
He is a great guy and yes very very talented fabricator, Also helped me with my blower a few yrs back. Still loving your Shop.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 616
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 853
Likes (Received): 905
Garage
hope to visit some of you Mass guys someday. I'm originally from Weymouth.

overdue for a visit friends and families.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 515
Come on DOWN!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 136
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
hope to visit some of you Mass guys someday. I'm originally from Weymouth.

overdue for a visit friends and families.
Weymouth you say......
I have a friend who owns and runs camco racing in Weymouth. Those 8,000 horsepower engines are fun to play with. Nitro funny cars are a great way to blow off some steam and $$$$ !!

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in