Complaints From Neighbors. NO More Free Snowblower Giveaways. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 07-12-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 628
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 927
Likes (Received): 1003
Garage
Complaints From Neighbors. NO More Free Snowblower Giveaways.

My Town's code compliance officer came to my house today and said they got complaints about people coming to house and snowblower noise. I haven't had anyone to come to my house in the last 3 months and during the winter maybe 3-4 a month.

I have given away 15 FREE snowblowers the last couple winters. If i get them for free or low cost I repair and give them away. If people have a broken snowblower and they bring to house I will fix for FREE minus parts or beer money if they insist.

It's not like a business ( so don't judge ). At the most it has been maybe 5 people in a winter month? I may be out in garage 2 hours a day and try to keep noise down. Most people in my neighborhood works .
I have even serviced or repaired every Honda snowblower ( except 2 ) on my street for FREE. Would not except a dime. The 2 people I did not do I do not like and no one on the rest of the street does not like them either. It must be these 2.

This is my hobby. After working 43 years I thought I could do this to help people , make new friends , and enjoy myself at the same time.

Now I have to stop or else I will be cited if there are anymore complaints ( which there will be ) I can't even work on my own blowers without worrying. The guy across the street has a party at least once a week and there are cars all over the place. people have garage sales and the street fills up with cars. I asked her what is the difference? she said no one complained. when the town gets a complaint they have to address it.

time to move or get drunk and crank up the Led Zeppelin.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Rooskie liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-12-2019, 07:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 111
Likes (Received): 26
Looks like your town dose not like good deeds being done for its' citizens.
Wonder if you will be able to blow snow or cut the grass.

Bureaucratic stupidity at its' highest level.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #3 of 36 Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
I say pop a cold one and crank up the Zep!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"Where's that confounded bridge"? - Robert Plant, "The Crunge"
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #4 of 36 Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 119
Likes (Received): 107
Don't blame the town, blame your selfish, cowardly neighbors. They can't even come to you with their concerns, I really dislike that. I know it sucks for you to have to make the effort, but can you go around to the ones you think may be complaining and try to talk to them? Maybe after a day or 2 to vent and relax. I go out of my way to try to talk to all my neighbors a little bit, even the ones that I don't really care for all that much. I think it may help head off silly things like this.

Again, sorry for you get crapped on for doing good, but please don't give up. We need more people like you. And I recommend side 2 of Zep 4 to go with your cold ones.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
post #5 of 36 Old 07-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 40
Garage
I'm working on a hot rod, but unfortunately I don't have a garage. My previous neighbors got in trouble with the city for something similar except they were charging money. One day coming home from church there's one of his buddies in our driveway sitting in his Aztek with his phone out pointing at my work area. The only thing I could think he was doing was trying to get something on me to try get me in trouble.
post #6 of 36 Old 07-12-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm12 View Post
Don't blame the town, blame your selfish, cowardly neighbors. They can't even come to you with their concerns, I really dislike that. I know it sucks for you to have to make the effort, but can you go around to the ones you think may be complaining and try to talk to them? Maybe after a day or 2 to vent and relax. I go out of my way to try to talk to all my neighbors a little bit, even the ones that I don't really care for all that much. I think it may help head off silly things like this.

Again, sorry for you get crapped on for doing good, but please don't give up. We need more people like you. And I recommend side 2 of Zep 4 to go with your cold ones.
That is exactly why i repaired everyone's blower on the street except 2. Every blower in my garage is mine and I can't work on them? I asked her that. She said I could close the garage door. In the FREAKIN SUMMER???? Should I run the blowers with the garage door closed????

This is maybe 2 hours a day 3-4 days a week at the most. you people have seen some of my builds. I tear the machine almost completely down. yes there is occasional grinding . welding . really not much. the music sometimes is high . there is no noise ordinance in my town.

I don't even start until 11-12 noon and am usually done at 2 pm.

P.S. Is side 2 Zep 4 referenced from FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH? .......great movie.

then it's beer oclock.

post #7 of 36 Old 07-12-2019, 11:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 119
Likes (Received): 107
yep, Damone tells the kid to play that side when he is out on a date ... great movie.

Regarding the complaints, I was wondering if you had asked the officer what the actual regulation/code is that you are violating? I cannot believe that all snowblower noise is against code. There is usually a general code about noise, with time limits. And your work certainly doesn't seem to violate those types of codes. Something just doesn't sound right here (no pun intended).

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
post #8 of 36 Old 07-12-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm12 View Post
yep, Damone tells the kid to play that side when he is out on a date ... great movie.

Regarding the complaints, I was wondering if you had asked the officer what the actual regulation/code is that you are violating? I cannot believe that all snowblower noise is against code. There is usually a general code about noise, with time limits. And your work certainly doesn't seem to violate those types of codes. Something just doesn't sound right here (no pun intended).
I asked the code compliance that twice. once in person and once in email with no answer. there is no noise ordinance in my town. she said there was a complaint and they have to follow up. she said i was being "disruptive" to the neighborhood.

i asked her again in the nicest way possible to give me the code violation number. have not heard back. probably Monday. anytime i run a blower is to set the rpms and test drive when done. it's not very often and it's like years ago when I had a Harley with straight pipes and used to start it in garage after a couple brews just to listen to the sound.

post #9 of 36 Old 07-13-2019, 05:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
My Town's code compliance officer came to my house today and said they got complaints about people coming to house and snowblower noise. I haven't had anyone to come to my house in the last 3 months and during the winter maybe 3-4 a month.

I have given away 15 FREE snowblowers the last couple winters. If i get them for free or low cost I repair and give them away. If people have a broken snowblower and they bring to house I will fix for FREE minus parts or beer money if they insist.

It's not like a business ( so don't judge ). At the most it has been maybe 5 people in a winter month? I may be out in garage 2 hours a day and try to keep noise down. Most people in my neighborhood works .
I have even serviced or repaired every Honda snowblower ( except 2 ) on my street for FREE. Would not except a dime. The 2 people I did not do I do not like and no one on the rest of the street does not like them either. It must be these 2.

This is my hobby. After working 43 years I thought I could do this to help people , make new friends , and enjoy myself at the same time.

Now I have to stop or else I will be cited if there are anymore complaints ( which there will be ) I can't even work on my own blowers without worrying. The guy across the street has a party at least once a week and there are cars all over the place. people have garage sales and the street fills up with cars. I asked her what is the difference? she said no one complained. when the town gets a complaint they have to address it.

time to move or get drunk and crank up the Led Zeppelin.

After watching the series 'Bates Motel", a quote that the Mother said to Norman Bates has stuck in my mind ever since.....I don't recall the conversation that her and the son were having, but she looked at him and said " Generally,people are a disappointment." I have to agree. Do a rum and some Zep for me too!

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
post #10 of 36 Old 07-13-2019, 06:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 200
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 551
Likes (Received): 106
Orangputah, don't let some whiny windbag stop you from doing what you like and also helping people. I'm sure every neighborhood has a few of these whiners. If there is no noise ordinance, I believe you have a right to do what you want on your own property. It is no different from your neighbors cutting their lawn, using an edger, weedwacker, power washer, tablesaw in garage, router, generator, etc. I imagine it is a neighbor near by, like Paulm12 said - maybe you could do some friendly chatting and see where that gets you. Its mind boggling to me how someone in the neighborhood is doing a good thing and someone else is finding fault with it.
Its beer o'clock time and I think the 1969 Led Zeppelin version of "How Many More Times" is appropriate here!!!
Strong beer, no whimpy stuff!

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in