post #1 of 20 Old 07-25-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Blower advice - steep 200ft driveway

Hello all,

New to the forum here. I recently purchased a 1.2 acre property here in the northeast. The driveway to the property is approximately 200' in length and has a very steep grade (maybe 15%??). Photo evidence:

I'm assessing my needs for the upcoming winter. In my area, we can get anyway from 6" - 18" depending on the storm. I currently own an Ariens Deluxe 24 which served me well at my previous, small, flat property.

My initial plan was to upgrade to a track drive machine (Ariens Hydro Pro 28 RapidTrak or Honda HSS928/HSS1332), yet was told by a neighbor that while tracks are great, they may slip in icy conditions. Is there truth to this?

My backup plan was to get some heavy duty chains with v-bar for my current blower, yet I'm not sure if this would work either.

My last solution is to pick up a used ATV and attach a plow.

Can anyone, based on experience, shed some light and share suggestions?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-25-2019, 01:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1101
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 20 Old 07-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 533
My brother has a VERY steep driveway about 100 yards long, and he has been using a Craftsman track drive blower for 30 years with no problem.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #4 of 20 Old 07-26-2019, 04:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 153
steep driveway

Joel at Earth Tools has a sale going on now for their BCS tractors and implements.

The 11 horsepower BCS 739 with the honda engine like all the BCS tractors is gear driven.
The Berta 2 stage snow blower with the 28 inch cut is gear driven as well. The 28 inch Berta 2 stage snow blower that is the recommended snow blower for it is heavy and will not ride up on the snow pack and will be able to handle the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER with no issues.

I guess I would look at the total utility of the machine as you can mount a flail mower or rotary mower with a bagger on the BCS 739 to let you have 3 seasons use of the BCS 739 2 wheel tractor every year with the snow blower and the lawn mower. BCS has many attachments for their 2 wheel tractors and it looks like the 739 would be a good match for your property as you can ride a sulky while mowing or using the snow blower too.

A dedicated snow blower is a one season tool but a 2 wheel tractor is a 4 season tool with snow blower and chains or a sweeper to clear leaves or small accumulations of snow.

I would check with Joel at earth tools as a BCS 739 and a BERTA 28 inch snow blower may be less money than a honda 1332.

BCS has a nationwide network of dealers and repair shops as well and buying the 739 and the 28 inch snow blower from Joel will save you money.

Here is the phone number for Earth Tools; 502-484-3088.

Before Joel ships a 2 wheel tractor or the owner picks it up he runs it and makes sure everything works correctly before the owner takes possession of it at the farm or it is shipped to the owner from Earth Tools.

Last edited by leonz; 07-26-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: stuff
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks RockyJohn thanked for this post
post #5 of 20 Old 07-26-2019, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 243
That's a pretty long drive, I would first see how the tires go first as new blowers are NOT any cheaper in the warmer months, If you can find one for sale new at all. You may find it either works fine or you need the tracks, The Honda is a really nice machine but expensive, I also like the Ariens Rapid Track and it moves pretty quickly.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Hard to find unless you look used but I'd suspect a machine with an actual gear transmission would likely be better than a friction disc machine.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-26-2019, 11:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
From The Earth tools web site

These are summer sale prices Until 31 August 2019:

The base price for the BCS 739 with the honda GX340 engine,wet clutch, parking brake and electric and manual start is $3,619.00 plus tax

The BERTA 28 inch 2 stage snow blower is $1,799.00 plus tax

The remote spout control for the BERTA 28 inch snow blower is $200.00 plus tax

The shipping cost plus tax would be determined by the freight company to your door.

I don't have a price for V bar snow chains for the 5 by 10 by 20 R2 AG tires but they can be found at www.tirechains.com

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation or financial interest with Earth Tools or BCS.

Last edited by leonz; 07-26-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: stuff
post #8 of 20 Old 07-27-2019, 12:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
A good friction drive will transmit more propulsion that the tires use . Gear drives are nice but in this case nice to have but tot a solution.

The whole 4 season notion is a whole other discussion. They are clearly a niche product.

As for the hill and the northeast I have some moderate grades and since I try to maintain snow over gravel I inevitably end up with the snow pack converting to ice pack when things freeze after a winter rain. My biggest challenge is traction under my feet, so I wear stabilicers. My snowblowers are solid axle, chevron pattern gear and friction drive. Sometimes if it's icy I'll make a full bite downhill pass and a lighter clean-up pass on the uphill return. I'm dealing with about 400' plus some big areas. Depending on the particulars of the driveway and machine you're only looking at 4-5 round trips.
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #9 of 20 Old 07-27-2019, 09:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
snow blower needs

I mentioned the BCS 739 as an all around property maintenance tool simply because of the machines excellent reputation and the all gear drive train.

It all comes together because it is a primary residence apparently. He has an asphalt driveway that could become a skating rink. The need to spend money on a 4 wheel drive ATV and a plow is unnecessary when one could invest in a gear driven 2 wheel tractor to do multiple tasks including snow removal with a 2 stage snow blower.

I look at the gravely 2 wheel tractors and in the past they were used the year round for many tasks.
The gravely 2 wheel tractor lost its place in the market because of less expensive junk riding lawn mowers like my LA115 and others.

In Europe a 2 wheel tractor on steep land that is used for small side hill farms, vineyards and orchards.
In Asia they use 2 wheel tractors for many tasks as they are less costly to purchase.

The only other snow blower I would recommend is the Toro 1428 OXE with snow chains and loaded tires. The downside in that case is that it can only be used for the winter months unless he uses it to turn over
compost piles to aerate them.

When one looks at the 4 wheel drive sub compact tractors you are looking at the price of a small car with the mower loader and snow blower attachments.

The downside of having a sub compact tractor is that if you do not buy one with a new loader they are much harder to sell outright and you are taken to the cleaners when trying to trade them in for something else if it has less than 1000 hours on it.

The other thing is that he could have two 20 horsepower lawn mowers; one with a snow blower attachment and snow chains and the other with the lawn mower for less money and that is because they are less costly to buy. Unless you have the tires loaded to go along with the snow chains on one of these lawn tractors they are worthless because the rear axles only transmit a bout two horsepower to one side or the other not both due to the hydrostatic transmission which is usually made by the tuff tork people.

The added advantage of the all gear drive is the differential lock which delivers power to both wheels at low speeds and in doing so allows the heavier BERTA snow blower attachment to clear the snowpack and the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER and not ride up on the frozen snow pack.

The gear drive two wheel tractors have very little power loss compared to the belt drive snow blowers with their friction disc drive.

I guess we will have to wait and see what if anything he does if he decides to share that with us.
I only mentioned the BCS 2 wheel tractors in greater detail for his benefit if he intends to stay there for the long term. Our neighbor bless her heart used gravelys from 1952 until they were no longer made on a gravel driveway and she switched to a wheel horse lawn tractor and snow blower for her paved driveway after that.
Likes Hanky liked this post
post #10 of 20 Old 07-31-2019, 07:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hi.
I have a long driveway in New England with two uphill sections. I use a1969 Ariens that I upgraded with 15 inch sno hog tires. It goes up the slope with no problem, no chains either, and I rarely lock the differential. I think you will be ok with whatever you decide.
Attached a pic of my driveway sheet after thunder storm today.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190731_184445_1564614071390.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	156523  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page