Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
buy too cheap , buy twice
Or, as my Dad used to say, "Buy a quality tool and you'll pay for it once; buy a cheap tool and you'll pay for it the rest of your life."
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, ST1100A liked this post
post #13 of 38 Old 08-02-2019, 06:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 949
Likes (Received): 1028
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post
Or, as my Dad used to say, "Buy a quality tool and you'll pay for it once; buy a cheap tool and you'll pay for it the rest of your life."
i have learned this lesson the hard way more than once even though my Dad also tried to teach me to buy quality.

but as a kid you think you know more than your parents. I try to teach my children this , who are all grown , and for a couple of them it goes in one ear and out the other.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #14 of 38 Old 08-02-2019, 08:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Hello and good evening Blake,

You have come at the right time to deal with this.

I don't know what to tell you about your landlord but buying an hour of your attorneys time is a must here as one flying rock can break a window with very little effort and one of your neighbors will not be happy duck taping cardboard to a window or coming home to a broken window that you may not be aware of if it happens.

Case in point was me when my absentee landlord neighbor bough the 64 acres behind me and hired a forestry mower mounted on a front end loader and it picked up a small rock and broke a garage window 200 feet from where the logger was mowing in 64 acre pasture.

My absentee neighbor is a ……………………. so I just covered the window with a sheet of plexiglass to seal it up.

You need power and weight so looking at the three largest Toro OXE 2 stage snow blowers with chains is something you need to do as your wife may end up clearing the driveway if you are laid up and electric start and steering brakes are a must for your wife to clear the snow and feed the moat monsters with the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

But you need to spend time with an attorney as you will be liable for damages if something happens to a car or a window or someone slips on ice SO, PLEASE DO YOUR LEGAL LIABILITY HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER.
If you can get him to sign a snow removal contract and absolve you of any liability in snow removal in the contract, great, you will be able to buy a Toro 1428 OXE with steering brakes, heated handles, snow chains and the snow cab. Your wife will really like the toro snow cab by the way.

Last edited by leonz; 08-05-2019 at 12:01 AM. Reason: stuff
Likes Hanky, ST1100A liked this post
post #15 of 38 Old 08-02-2019, 09:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 244
Likes (Received): 287
The big Toro's are nice

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower

Last edited by tdipaul; 08-02-2019 at 09:34 PM.
post #16 of 38 Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Take a look at the center auger of the 3 stage units ( they call it the accelerator ). That accelerator was primarily designed to push the snow cut by the side augers back to the impeller. It doesn’t have enough of an angle to cut into the heavy snow at the end of driveway piles. You need “normal” augers that can cut into that dense snow. I had a 3-stage for awhile and when I backed up from a snow pile you can see the imprint of the center auger, it stops the blower from moving forward. A 3-stage works fine in perfect snow, just not dense snow piles.

I went with an Ariens SHO 24, and it handles the end of driveway much better. And I’m sure the previously mentioned Toro’s would also work as well. I liked the larger engine in the Ariens. I’ve cut preset notches in my skids because I also have flat and gravel areas to deal with, and it makes changing the skid height easier. A Honda track blower would make this a non-issue, but for more $$.

Last edited by trellis; 08-03-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #17 of 38 Old 08-03-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
To really throw all of this off... the wife wants a four-wheeler with a plow rather than a snowblower... there are many more cons vs pros with a four-wheeler imo.. and the one she shared with me is $3000... that could get a nice snowblower...
Likes Rooskie liked this post
post #18 of 38 Old 08-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Hello Blake,

You should remind your lovely wife that she will run out of room to stack snow and it will freeze solid by the way.

If you have 3 feet of snow in the driveway to get rid of she will no have anywhere to put it let alone throw it by hand and your neighbors are in no hurry to do any of the work.

You may as well tell your landlord that since you have a new rug rat that is too young to shovel and you may need to take the rug rat to the doctor and she cannot do that with a driveway that is ass deep in snow pack as a tenant it is not your legal responsibility to do this.

It is his responsibility to maintain the property to safe standards which includes snow and ice removal.
It is not your responsibility to maintain the property, it is your landlords.
He better step up or hire a contractor on a per snow fall trigger basis to clear snow and spread salt and or sand as needed as your neighbors are not going to do anything nor should they as it his liability in maintaining the property to take care of.

Your wife will not be happy if she is unable to get out to take the child to the doctor either and you will no doubt hear about it in spades.

Last edited by leonz; 08-04-2019 at 08:49 PM. Reason: stuff, spelling, grammar
Likes Rooskie, ST1100A liked this post
post #19 of 38 Old 08-04-2019, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
You may as well tell your landlord that since you have a new rug rat that is too young to shovel and you may need to take the rug rat to the doctor and she cannot do that with a driveway that is ass deep in snow pack as a tenant it is not your legal responsibility to do this.

It is his responsibility to maintain the property to safe standards which includes snow and ice removal.
It is not your responsibility to maintain the property, it is your landlords.
He better step up or hire a contractor on a per snow fall trigger basis to clear snow and spread salt and or sand as needed as your neighbors are not going to do anything nor should they as it his liability in maintaining the property to take care of.
What he said.

Save yourself $1,000 and spend $500 (probably much less) on an attorney. He/she will write what we used to call at work a "nastygram" on the law office's stationery. That tends to get people's full and undivided attention.

If the landlord has any more sense than a stillborn jackass he/she/it will promptly arrange for a reputable contractor to clear that driveway and the entrance of any trace of snow and keep it cleared. Failure to do so can have very expensive consequences for the landlord/property manager/property owner.
Likes Rooskie liked this post
post #20 of 38 Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
BAAAAAABY!!! Baby was born Saturday morning so that’s why I disappeared haha. I agree 100% on it being his responsibility. I’ll probably bring it up to him that he needs to prepare and be ready when snow is coming. Their is no reason for me to purchase a snowblower. I honestly want one so that I can have one... I enjoy going out and shoveling so I think the thought of getting a machine to tear up the snow excites me a little bit haha.. just imagine walking down the sidewalk clearing it for the neighbors. Great times. Lmao. I even opt to mow my own section of yard rather then have the other tenant mow it. ( I work with the other tenant we are really close friends ) I just enjoy doing extra work. My only issue would be the damage if something bad happened. I have to draw a photo for you guys. Is their away to aim snowblowers at the ground? I never thought about launching a rock. Theirs a high chance of me getting a snowblower but I will definitely talk to the landlord first. Our rent is cheap right now so buying stuff like this makes sense to me for some reason. I expect it to last long we should be looking at houses end of next year or 2021. I even bought our own washer and dryer and will just swap his back in when we leave. But they should last towards 10 years so I bought them now because we have the extra money for now.
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page