LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 08-06-2019, 03:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Congratulations on the new rug rat Blake,

I would pass on buying anything right now except for a replacement vehicle as your rug rat expenses will eat up all your extra money and the extra deduction in April will only add to saving more money for rug rat expenses.

If I remember correctly the amount of money needed to raise a rug rat to 18 years of age is or was $220,000.00.

You will not be able to buy a snow blower that will effectively let you blow the snow forward and down unless you have a snow mule that has 100+ plus horsepower.

Just save your money and ask the landlord to hire someone to do the snow and ice removal as you have a new child to worry about and you or the wife will need to take the boy to the doctor
AND you will both be up at all hours for months until the rug rat sleeps all night.

Last edited by leonz; 08-06-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: stuff ;^0
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Rooskie, ST1100A liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 08-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Welcome to the forum, Blake,

Congratulations on the new baby!

Have you considered a plow for the F-150?

JiminRI
2015/16 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Rooskie liked this post
post #23 of 38 Old 08-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 8
Hello, Blake and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your first(?) child! I would like to humbly offer wisdom from down the road of life, looking back over the years with tear-filled eyes on opportunities lost. Life has changed very dramatically for you, although you are truly unaware at this juncture by how much. That will change in the next 6 months! Reading your posts, I see myself at 24 very clearly. This snowblower idea is a wonderful thing to take your mind off of the little bundle the missus has been carrying around in front of her for the past 9 months. But the little bundle has now evolved into a bundle of joy and needs your attention as much as mama's. Be sure to get involved and dont let mama carry the responsibility alone. It will benefit your married life. It is more awkward handling a baby than any snowblower, but jump right in and it will get easier. Those first couple years fly by, try to hold on to every moment. From 2 to 9 years of age, you will be the greatest thing on earth to your child. Be SURE not to work those years away. SPEND time with them. Take every opportunity to be with them at this age. You will NEVER regret it. It is a great responsibility to be a good father and many of us men equate that with making sure there is enough money in the till to provide for baby's every need, and that is a good thing. But you and your child will benefit more having you at home. Best of Luck to you and the little mother. PS: I say this with all due respect to mom, but she is never going to run any of that snow equipment as her proper and primary duty from now on is to care for baby. She wont be able to leave baby to plow a driveway, that is Daddy's job. Daddy takes care of the 'big' jobs. Embrace that, as well. It will be a source of pride as the years roll. I'll close by saying I know I wasn't an absentee father, but even so, I would give ANYTHING to have one of those days back where my 3 and 7 yr olds would perform for me when I got home and I was so tired from a 12 hour day.................
OK, blew my nose and wiped my eyes. Back to business: My shtick here is to argue for the old Ariens equipment. Mine is a 1971 724 powered by Tecumseh, 'Murican made. Why spend $3000 when $300 will get you a serviceable 1030? This gang here can help you fix anything on it, parts are still available. A snowblower is cumbersome to store when not in use. Save your money, wait till this current over-inflated real estate market bursts, regardless of who's in office, in about 3 years. Then buy your house at a discount, get a nice, old John Deere garden tractor to cut the lawn and a snowblower attachment for it, as well. If you think there's a fan club for Ariens, wait till you meet the fanatics at John Deere!

-For now, the advice to contact a lawyer is the best route to take, hands down. I dont care for lawyers, so that is quite a statement from me. Not only if you knock out a window, but what if you get hurt?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks leonz thanked for this post
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #24 of 38 Old 08-09-2019, 01:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
Congratulations on the new rug rat Blake,

I would pass on buying anything right now except for a replacement vehicle as your rug rat expenses will eat up all your extra money and the extra deduction in April will only add to saving more money for rug rat expenses.

If I remember correctly the amount of money needed to raise a rug rat to 18 years of age is or was $220,000.00.

You will not be able to buy a snow blower that will effectively let you blow the snow forward and down unless you have a snow mule that has 100+ plus horsepower.

Just save your money and ask the landlord to hire someone to do the snow and ice removal as you have a new child to worry about and you or the wife will need to take the boy to the doctor
AND you will both be up at all hours for months until the rug rat sleeps all night.
"If I remember correctly the amount of money needed to raise a rug rat to 18 years of age is or was $220,000.00."
Wow! That was probably back in the 60's. Or you forgot to add one or two Zero's to the end of that figure in today's world/costs.
But welcome to the forum. The older Honda's one piece discharge chute deflector did a good job of blowing the snow out and down pretty well. But if you did that with some wet types of snow for an extended period you could risk some buildup or clogging in the chute if it was very wet heavy slop snow.
When Honda changed to the two piece deflector it smoothed out the discharge angle to help prevent the "backup" or buildup. It was like hitting a brick wall with the old one piece deflector, but the Honda still did a very good job at throwing the snow away.
Good luck with your new child, and listen to these guys on the forum, they know what they are talking about, and with the "liability" issues and talking with a Lawyer first before clearing snow that would be the landlords responsibility, these guys know from experience.
post #25 of 38 Old 08-09-2019, 02:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
On those three stage machines built by MTD-Cub Cadet, I would stay away from them, it is a very poor design and does not work well at all. It is just a sales marketing gimmick to get people to buy them thinking it is a better design machine.
They are built very poorly with extremely weak thin auger paddles, and the middle paddle mounted in the front center will bend, break, distort if you hit anything solid like heavy snow, ice, or the "End of Driveway" monster.
They constantly break shear pins in the center paddle. They usually get stuck in the shaft because they bend as they are snapping, instead of giving a clean break, they get jammed in the shaft and they are a real pain in the butt to get a punch tool in to press them out of the shaft. Also when they clog, which they do quite often from the design, they are extremely hard to get a removal tool in back towards the discharge paddle to remove a blockage.
Wait till you pick up a newspaper or any other foreign object that was buried in the snow and it jams everything up, and the work involved to get that removed. You will be disassembling the entire auger mechanism, the paddles, shafts and worm gear box to get your hands in to clear it out and replace the bent, busted, broken auger paddles and shear pins.
You will be glad you did not waste your money on a Three Stage because they do not work as good as they advertise. They will leave you stranded with a non operating machine more than you will get to use them if you ever get anything jammed up in the auger housing. Most of the time you will be taking them back to the shop for repair or getting your money back from them because you did not want it after you saw how poorly they perform.
If you ever had to unclog, repair them and the excessive time it takes, even for experienced technicians, you would know what I am talking about and be glad I either steered you away from them or at least warned you about them.
post #26 of 38 Old 08-09-2019, 11:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 548
I second everything Rooskie said........an ST824 Ariens from the eighties or nineties will make short work of any storm you'll ever have to clear, and is cheap and reliable.....with the $99 Predator, an impeller kit and a taller chute...watch out! I'll take an older hotrodded blower over a new one anyday, and save my money.
post #27 of 38 Old 08-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 44
ST824 is for sure one of the best models made. Only machine that is as good or better is a sho or a pro model from the same time period. Good luck and happy hunting.
post #28 of 38 Old 08-09-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I talked with the landlord. He offered to pay for me to even do it. I’ve got awhile to go before winter hits / those “October deals” if those are a thing.

I’m looking at older ones posted on Facebook but not really sure what I’m looking for.

But Facebook or brand new, I’m basically looking for 420cc so it has the power. 2 stage due to 3 stage being a gimmick. I’d like tracks because people say it’s better for gravel. For cutting width.. not sure yet. I was gonna measure the sidewalk.

How fast or slow do these things go? Say on the straight away with normal fluffy snow? I’ll probably shovel that I guess.. I like to shovel I did it all of last year just could never really deal with the end of driveway.. it usually became a sloppy mess because I would drive over it a million times with the truck flattening it.

I think I’m gonna look into some kind of liability thing. Something he can sign that clears me of any damage or injury type thing. I really don’t think any issues will ever surface. I’ve never used a snowblower but can’t I just aim it not towards the house? I have a feeling on the mornings that I have to clear the end I’d just go straight down the driveway shooting the snow forward and then work on aiming it in other spots.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-09-2019, 08:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Blake, walk away please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

He is not doing you any favors. Clearing snow is a big job even for a home owner. Your insurer is going to laugh you out of their office as a million dollar umbrella policy is just for starters and workmans compensation insurance is meted out on a per hour basis or per job basis with a very big insurer like zurich.

Sure he can pay you, but in no way will that be enough to cover any umbrella liability insurance and fire insurance to cover the snow blower and the replacement cost of any vehicle or the homes that could catch fire from a gasoline fire or an electrical fire from using the electric starter on a snow blower.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ST1100A thanked for this post
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #30 of 38 Old 08-10-2019, 01:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Blake, listen to what Leonz Says. I take it he is VERY Experienced in what he stated in his post. Once you accept any type of payment for your services, snow removal, whether it be in money or even a break on your rent, you are considered a "Commercial User" in the eyes of the Courts. You are required to have at least 1 million dollars of coverage for your insurance policy that you must have, and the premium cost is not cheap.
You sound like a good type of person who is willing to help other people, too bad there isn't more people around like that anymore.
You always have to watch out for the "Ambulance Chaser" type of people who got out and look for someone using a snowblower that is out blowing snow so that they can drive by with their car with a broken windshield, and file a fake claim that you just broke it for them, and they will claim a fake injury just so they can get rich off of something that never happened. Yes, that does happen. You also have the person who claims property damage even though you weren't near their property. Those are only a few things that can happen, also personal injury, like someone claiming they were struck by a foreign object that was thrown out of your snowblower. Believe me, it does happen, especially here in the Northeast. Everybody is Lawsuit happy these days.
Everything that Leonz said is very correct and true. Your landlord may sign something to help you with not having to pay for any damages or release you from liability to him, but that would only be for him and you, not for anybody else, like other tenants or any other person in the area where you are working.
Blake, we are trying to help you with good advice on this Forum and what to watch out for. Somewhere on this forum you will find lots of stories about good honest people out clearing snow and something bad happened, whether it was some type of property damage or someone being injured from an unknown projectile coming out of a snowblower and being struck by it, and the litigation's and lawsuits the operator had to go through, and money it cost them to pay for it.
Things happen while you are trying to be a good helpful person to others, and they take advantage of it and you.
Bad things can happen when you least expect it. I don't mean to scare you away from helping other people in time of need, but you are young and starting a new family now, so we wish you all the best and don't want to see anything bad happen to you that could end up costing you a lot of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page