post #1 of 13 Old 08-15-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 636
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 938
Likes (Received): 1015
Garage
Venmo Payment Scams

In the last week have had 2 people try to buy a snowblower using Venmo to pay. Luckily I did some homework and it very risky to use Venmo with people you do not know. It's okay with reputable business and friends.

the problem with Venmo is you will get a notification from them that PAYMENT was made but then the scammer can cancel transaction and get their money back. You do NOT receive a notification that the transaction was cancelled.

had a guy come over to house , agreed to my asking price ( 1st red flag ) , clean cut and smooth talker and acting overly friendly ( 2nd red flag ) and told me that in a couple clicks and seconds I would have my payment. I told him in email that I only accepted cash when he offered Venmo payment . he drove over an hour to get to my house anyway and offered venmo . ( 3rd red flag )

today received email from another "buyer" offering to pay by venmo. I agreed on purpose to get them all excited. we went back and forth a couple times. Then I told them I would deliver to save them time and needed phone number and address.

never heard from them again.

Be careful out there. Even check the good ol american cash you get. there is more and more fake greenbacks out there.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gibbs296, rod330 thanked for this post
Likes Miles liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 112
Likes (Received): 26
Orangputeh

The unscrupulous are working all the time. to screw someone out of some money.
Good thing you checked up on Venmon.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-2019, 07:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 200
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 551
Likes (Received): 106
Good advice Orangputeh, thanks for giving us the heads up!

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #4 of 13 Old 08-17-2019, 09:59 AM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
IT NEVER ENDS
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #5 of 13 Old 08-17-2019, 01:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 21
I had a similar situation. Some guy was so persistent to pay me via venmo for some items that was selling on Facebook marketplace. He wanted me to ship it to him even though the guy said he lived few minutes away from me. He got rude at the at and I told him to f off.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Scammers go out of their way to steal from you. Glad to hear that you cut them off at the pass.
Not blower related but I've had 2 recently. One is an automated call from Agent (forget the name) from Social Security that my SS number is disabled due to suspicious activity and to call a 217 area code number, social security deals via mail not phone. Even more suspicious when they called my 2d line (just a few numbers apart) with the same message. A little online checking found it was a scam wanting you to buy and send the numbers off things like Target Gift cards.
2d one was a travel thing, get great vacations at discount rates. Sounds good till you find they want a $9K buy-in, admin fees and yearly maintenance costs. Did a little looking online after the fact, turns out it appears they are an actual business but don't deliver on what they promise. Complaints run far and wide on them.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Scammers go out of their way to steal from you. Glad to hear that you cut them off at the pass.
Not blower related but I've had 2 recently. One is an automated call from Agent (forget the name) from Social Security that my SS number is disabled due to suspicious activity and to call a 217 area code number, social security deals via mail not phone. Even more suspicious when they called my 2d line (just a few numbers apart) with the same message. A little online checking found it was a scam wanting you to buy and send the numbers off things like Target Gift cards.
2d one was a travel thing, get great vacations at discount rates. Sounds good till you find they want a $9K buy-in, admin fees and yearly maintenance costs. Did a little looking online after the fact, turns out it appears they are an actual business but don't deliver on what they promise. Complaints run far and wide on them.
my "default" setting is to be suspicious always . that sometimes backfires with nice people but then I apologize to them and tell them how people have scammed me.

I have been offered bitcoin , jewelry , precious metals, venmo, paypal ( which i did one time and it cost me $60 in fees ) , checks , of course, cashiers checks and more. have had people try to tag-team me with a supposed big shot business owner. have had guys come over in a truck with a "done deal" with FULL ASKING PRICE in cash and then when they show up notice a couple scratches and then low ball the **** out of me ( always a waste of time on their part ) . have had people off me half down and then want to take to mechanic 45 miles away and if it passes inspection will give me rest of money.

I have told all these people to liquidate their assets and come back with cash. of course they never do.

it's starting to get to the point that is not even worth it anymore. I very rarely budge on my price anymore because I feel I have earned the full asking price because of all this bs.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes rod330 liked this post
post #8 of 13 Old 08-18-2019, 08:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 216
Garage
My gawd, where do you people live (he asked incredulously)?

I've made maybe 50 sales on CL etc, various items, through the past few years. Not one person ever haggled me over insisting on cash ever, and only one guy ever haggled on price once he came over to look at the item. That one guy is the only time anybody ever came over to look at something that did not buy it, and all the others paid my asking price.

Weird.

1974 Ariens 922008/922003 "Frankenstein", my dad's 1st new snowblower
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "The Badger", recent addition, ready for snow
1971 Ariens 922002/922003 "Juneau", finally ready for snow
1971 Ariens 910962/910995 "Bill", SOLD 3/7/2019
post #9 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlshawks View Post
My gawd, where do you people live (he asked incredulously)?

I've made maybe 50 sales on CL etc, various items, through the past few years. Not one person ever haggled me over insisting on cash ever, and only one guy ever haggled on price once he came over to look at the item. That one guy is the only time anybody ever came over to look at something that did not buy it, and all the others paid my asking price.

Weird.
looks liek you are in the American Heartland where real people live.

I'm in Cali .....the land of fruits and nuts

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, tlshawks liked this post
post #10 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
looks liek you are in the American Heartland where real people live.

I'm in Cali .....the land of fruits and nuts
Last year when I was going to Sacramento on the Zepher one of the guys called California "The Granola State" full of fruits, nuts and flakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in